Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
We travel with the refrigerator on propane, I have been in the habit of turning the propane off at the bottle but now realize the real concern is the gas/diesel fumes and the open flame. That being the case I really only have to turn off the fridge.
Exactly. As far as fueling stations go, I wonder for those who DO take precautions if they are actually turning off the fridge or just closing the tanks. If the fridge is still on with the gas shut off, it will still try to light, it will still spark, and the spark "could" still set off gasoline vapors. Most fridges try to light 3-4 times before giving up when the propane is off. Much better to turn the fridge off than to turn the propane off.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #22
Site Team

As in the previous discussions on this topic, it will be discussed in a civil manner or it will be shut down. Cheers.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #23
Site Team

Do what your conscience calls for. I buy a lot of fuel and rarely see anyone shutting off their propane inside or outside.

The fridge was designed to be on while traveling. That's how I use mine.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #24

We travel with the fridge on propane and turn it on the day prior to departure to pre-cool the fridge. We no longer bring the 5th to the house to load as we became concerned that we’re advertising our departure. Furnace, WH and stove are big propane users, the fridge uses very little, am constantly surprised by this.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
We travel with the fridge on propane and turn it on the day prior to departure to pre-cool the fridge. We no longer bring the 5th to the house to load as we became concerned that we’re advertising our departure. Furnace, WH and stove are big propane users, the fridge uses very little, am constantly surprised by this.
Sadly I believe this is true. For those of us who store our campers at home it does present a dilemma. We live on a dead-end street and get very little traffic that isn't other neighbors. A few weeks ago just out of the blue a young kid knocks on my door and asks me if my trailer is for sale - says he is looking for something like that to go camping in. I was distracted at the time with a work issue so just told him no and he left. Later on I realized he was probably shaking down the neighborhood - now he knows that if the trailer is gone we likely are too since I said it wasn't for sale. I called the Sheriff and filed a report of the suspicious activity and talked with a deputy about it. We have a monitored alarm system as well as video surveillance cameras for all exterior doors and good exterior lighting so I'm hoping that's enough deterrent to move them along to an easier mark.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #26
Dan

"Do what your conscience calls for. I buy a lot of fuel and rarely see anyone shutting off their propane inside or outside.

The fridge was designed to be on while traveling. That's how I use mine."

X2

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #27

We leave the fridge on auto, so it automatically switches over to propane for travel. Think about how many full-timers are out there, or people on cross-country trips. If it was so dangerous, we'd be hearing about it all the time, instead of isolated incidences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Sadly I believe this is true. For those of us who store our campers at home it does present a dilemma. We live on a dead-end street and get very little traffic that isn't other neighbors. A few weeks ago just out of the blue a young kid knocks on my door and asks me if my trailer is for sale - says he is looking for something like that to go camping in. I was distracted at the time with a work issue so just told him no and he left. Later on I realized he was probably shaking down the neighborhood - now he knows that if the trailer is gone we likely are too since I said it wasn't for sale. I called the Sheriff and filed a report of the suspicious activity and talked with a deputy about it. We have a monitored alarm system as well as video surveillance cameras for all exterior doors and good exterior lighting so I'm hoping that's enough deterrent to move them along to an easier mark.

And that's why I don't announce our trips on social media or participate in the various "Where are you camping this weekend?" threads. The less people who know when and where we're going, the better -- unless I specifically share that information with them. My neighbours don't even know we're leaving until we leave, but we have a good enough relationship with them that they'll keep an eye on our house, and we do the same for them.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #28
Site Team

Our camper is parked in my back yard under a open shed. When we are camping, it's no secret for anyone who is familiar with the neighborhood.

We have ways! Never had a problem.

Also our county police have a web site that we can enter info for extra patrols.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #29

In regards to the article by TTAVASC,
My trailer is stored at my house so like Norty1, it is no secret when we leave.
I have surveillance cameras around my property as well.
I let 2 of my neighbors know when I am going out. One is a retired State Police Captain and the other is a retired U.S. Marine.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #30

We kept ours on the last time we traveled. We were on a very washboard road. By the time we got to our destination our fridge was off but propane was still on. I guess it was too bumpy for it to stay on. It still scared me. Not sure if we will travel again with it on.
Desertpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #31

I have solar panels and big battery bank with inverter. Always traveled (during the day) with fridge on electric. However, I started shutting off the propane (tank) as somebody told me that potentially in case of blow out the propane lines may be damaged and this may result in bigger mess. Not sure where the propane lines are located, but I prefer to shut propane off.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #32

Many thanks!

All your advice is much appreciated. I have read a lot of articles on this issue as well and think I understand the mechanics much better which makes me more comfortable. And I was wrong. Reread my Jayco manual and nothing was stated regarding towing with propane on. Refueling was only caveat.
What is come down to is personal preference and I certainly respect everyone’s choice.
Toontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #33

Turn frig on elect a 3 or 4 days before you leave, pack it 2 days before you go, switch to gas the morning you leave ( be sure its running) . Have a nice trip.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #34

I went camping last weekend had the fridge on auto. Got to the campground and hooked up water and electric, put out awning and finished setting up.

Sunday morning I plugged in my phone to charge and it did nothing. Realized the breaker at the campground box was off and I had been on battery the whole time. Fridge was nice and cold though!
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #35

3-4 days before leave? Usually I am turning the fridge around 6 am the day we are leaving. If we pack the food in the afternoon, I am packing directly to the fridge. If we leave 9-10 am, I keep the food in the cooler. Early afternoon the fridge is cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BHS ECO View Post
Turn frig on elect a 3 or 4 days before you leave, pack it 2 days before you go, switch to gas the morning you leave ( be sure its running) . Have a nice trip.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
I think (or guess) that the issue is for fuelling while travelling. In theory if your fridge lights up while you are at the gas station and if there's an abnormally high amount of fuel vapor in the air, it could ignite.

I guess same thing if you were in a collision and some fuel leaked from a vehicle.

As far as I know, that's the only danger. To me it's incredibly small probability. I tow with the propane fridge running.
I do also! It would be slightly inconvenient but before pulling up to the pump to fuel, you could turn off the fridge. Then fuel up. After pulling away, then turn the fridge back on. This would eliminate any danger to ignition. I guess this is why so many coaches are getting residential fridges with inverters.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #37

Thumbs up

Just to make it near unanimous, I always run that way. Start fridge up about 1 or maybe 2 days ahead of departure, switch to gas to make sure it lights up, than back to elec while we pack and get ready. Prior to departure, last inside check, switch back to gas, make sure it's lit and happy. Finish pack up, hook up, and go. Never had a problem, been running this way for years, first with an Airstream (man do I miss my Airstream....) now with a 2014 Jayco 287BHBE.

cheers

cjack
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #38

Travel with it on. Try to fuel at nearest pump at more distant island so trailer is furthest away from pumps. Probably ideal, but not worth the risk, to turn the refrig off, wait until gas has burned out of line, then fuel. Lots of things in life, including pulling a trailer under Lake Michigan and through Chicago area to get out west, involve a risk. Risk assessment is part of life.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #39

Make it near unanimous! We bring the WhiteHawk home the day before we leave, plug in and set the refer to "Auto" and start the refer and in 3-4 hours we are at 36F/2F and load the refer/freezer. The next morning we hookup and go. Naturally we check to make sure th refer is running on propane.
Have had no problems and recommend this anyone who asks.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #40
SGT

I understand the fuel vapor issue when refueling but I was always under the impression the concern was an open valve to a propane tank while underway. In the event of a collision or accident the potential is for a fire to be fueled by the propane tank as it has no check when the valve is open. By the way I travel with my fridge on propane. I cool it down the night before and it would probably be just fine on the 12 volt system during travel.

SGT, RLT & Lacy the Shih Tzu
2015 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2006 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4 x 4 - 5.4 Triton
Pullrite Superglide

Keep calm & pull a Jayco.
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote