Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #21

You might find this publication handy. Put out by the Yukon government.

RV Yukon

Page 24 lists dump stations.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #22

We've been to Alaska twice and without Milepost. It doesn't seem necessary. It does cover every little bridge..ad nauseum
However our range is 300 miles and we never came close to E. Your voyage may differ.
Reserve ahead. Absolutely required near Denali. You can probably go day by day in other places. We did reserve two days ahead for each stop. Fairbanks has a nice campground by the river.
When you go from Whitehorse to Tok there is a long stretch of nothing. There are a few fuel stations that have RV parking in a dusty lot. If you fit in a Provincial Campground there are some nice ones( and you should be able to).. Liard Hot Springs tops the list. Congdon Creek has some nice open sites. Be prepared to boondock..

When you get to Tok a favorite pastime is wash the RV. There are a number of RV wash stations. Use them.. You will want to!
I loved Valdez.. The drive down is spectacular. We stayed at a KOA out of town but there is camping at what I believe is Pioneer Park by the ocean in downtown Valdez.
Seward has a big municipal campground for you waterside.

Homer ecch.. Didn't like as well as the others but it is not bad.. We camped at an Alaska State park just north of town at Halibut Cove.

I second the Denali Highway.. Between Cantwell and Paxon.. all dirt but pullovers for you to camp whenever you wish.. Just have water and be ready for dust.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeShipFloors.com View Post
Bassdogs,

Did you stop at that little trailerpark looking store on that road between Cantwell and Paxton? They sell a apple pie there the grandmother makes. I swear it is the best apple pie I have ever ate!

I'm trying to get someone to go with me up there again to ride our honda pioneer side by sides. There is like a million miles of ATV trails up there.

Alan
No. My memory is that everything on the D highway looks like it was abandoned about 10 years earlier. We overnighted in 2 gravel pits and I had a great time talking to hunters camping there. Moose and caribeu were in season.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
[ifallsguy; Remember in Canada they are metric so 60MPH is about 120KPH]

60 mph = 96.5606 km/hour

so if you go 62 mph = all most 100 km/hour
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
No. My memory is that everything on the D highway looks like it was abandoned about 10 years earlier. We overnighted in 2 gravel pits and I had a great time talking to hunters camping there. Moose and caribeu were in season.
Coming from Denali direction it is on the right about half way. Its 3 or 4 mobile homes from the 60's in a semi-circle. I can see where someone would think they are abandoned...lol. Anyway, they do have fuel and the grandmother there makes apple pies to sell. The pies are something like $35 each, but they are DARN good. I'd LOVE to get a hunting license for up there sometime.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
[ifallsguy; Remember in Canada they are metric so 60MPH is about 120KPH]

60 mph = 96.5606 km/hour

so if you go 62 mph = all most 100 km/hour
You're right. I used the same math NASA used on that Mars Polar Lander that crashed when they used standard (US) measurement rather that metric. Guess I shouldn't apply to do math for interplanetary spacecraft.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #27

Bring plenty of money for fuel in Canada. Juneau had the cheapest diesel on our trip up the Inside Passage in 2016. When you see the frost heave signs on the highway ~~~ slow down. Relax and have fun.
rickrockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #28

A good return trip is by the inside passage on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system. You can take your RV plus toad to Haines, Juneau, Sitka, Wrangell, Ketchikan, and finally Prince Rupert, BC on your way home rather than going back the Alcan highway on the way. Stay a few days or a week in each port. We took a month on the inside passage route and it was the best part of our summer long trip to Alaska. The ferry fares totaled about $2500 for our RV and toad, but it was for a month of travel to the best parts of Alaska. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for a minute.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrockport View Post
Bring plenty of money for fuel in Canada. Juneau had the cheapest diesel on our trip up the Inside Passage in 2016. When you see the frost heave signs on the highway ~~~ slow down. Relax and have fun.
They aren't all marked.
Fuel was $1.59 a liter at Liard Hot Springs. That was where the wireless for the credit card was down. Cash only.
It could be worse. We just got back from Iceland. $2.30 .
Per liter. Diesl 2.50

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #30

Tie things down! Pay attention to the red flags or cones along side the road that mark rough road. Even if you think you won’t need it, take it, tools, duck tape, etc. check with cell provider. You might need to change your cellular plan to prevent roaming charges!
b646488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #31

In Denali quiet time is 10pm till 8am so if you like coffee in the morning, prepare it on your stove since a Keurig will require a generator. Also, in Alaska, you can dump and fill water tanks free at any Fred Meyers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
mtjag7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #32

Take Your Time!

After we got to BC we seldom if ever drove more than 200 miles a day. New scenery over every hill and around every corner.

We didn't boondock but only made reservations 1 or 2 days in advance. We missed getting reservations inside Denali but stayed in a commercial campground outside the park and took the full tour; Amazing!

We came back down via the Cassiar Hwy thru BC finishing our trip with a few days in Glacier NP in Montana & Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park in Medora, ND.

Best advice, drive on the top half of the tank and take your time!

Have a great trip!
2011 Chevy Colorado
Nodaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #33

Thanks for the info. Guess I will use my keurig on the inverter. All excited about getting started!
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #34

We are planning a trip from Michigan to St Ignace through Sault St Marie and up and around to Winnipeg to Alaska. We were told about the moose. Do not disturb a sleeping moose. Especially if he is sleeping in the middle of the rode. Just let sleeping moose lie. Otherwise we are not planning this trip for a while but this route is what was mentioned to us. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #35

Driving to Alaska from Ga.

We never made it any further than Slave Lake, Alberta. That was 3000miles. Wish now we had kept going. My advice is to buy that big book that lists all the miles and routes. Try to avoid the major cities like Atlanta, St. Louis, Omaha. Once you get to S.D. the scenery is fantastic. Spend a few days in Banff, and Jasper, Alberta. Read all the rules on what you cannot take across the border.
Drive on the top half of your fuel tank.
Have a great trip!! And don't quit!
June Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #36

In Alaska now

We left Vancouver Island on the ferry to Prince Rupert on 9 june. We are currently
in Glen Allen about 200 miles south of Anchorage. Highest gas in BC was 160/liter. Gas in Alaska is 3.40/gallon. Have not had to have campsite reservations as they say things are slow up here yet. Roads have been fairly good overall. Construction is just getting started. Weather has been wet but its
been a great time. We have seen one wolf, many black bears and many moose
so far. We have no plaanned time frame or itinery. So enjoy whereever your
travels take you. Bob
cheska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #37

Alaska

If you plan on staying into September check with businesses on the way up to see when they shut down for the winter. We went in 2009 were told that business on Alaska hwy close at the end of September first of October.
Get the Milepost book it is very helpful, it will help plan fuel and food stops and much more.
I hope you have a great time!!
rvtinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #38

I am camping in a Jayco Redhawk right now in Seward. I left Florida in early May. I have a couple of tips. First, a lot of the places in Canada require a credit card that has the chip in it. This was a problem for me on my 2015 trip. It has been cold here this year. Make sure you are prepared for it, extra blankets, heaters whatever. Some places that allow free stays in the past, camping over night do not anymore. Cabellas in Anchorage is one of these that is now a tow away zone. Walmart in Fairbanks will let you stay 1 night and in Wasilla you can stay 48 hours.

After weeks on the road paying high prices and limited selection, a Walmart is like an Oasis. We stayed 2 weeks at Denali National Park. Cold there, into the low 30s some nights. From 8 PM to 8 AM no generators are allowed. It can make for a long cold night depending on your heat situation. Gas in Alaska has been $3.29 to about $3.79, but have seen it higher. I paid $3.75 a pound for Propane. The propane heater in my Redhawk has never worked, and the dealer could not fix it. Better not to burn thru the propane anyway.

Make reservations for the parks ahead of time online, or you most likely won't get in to camp. Right now in Seward it is supposed to rain for the next 7 days and it is 50 degrees. I am here for the summer and hoping for a warm up.

My favorite places Seward with its large downtown campground and Haines.

Enjoy your trip. One trip may only make you want to come back again though.

PS: Watch out for the wildlife. My Boston Terrior and I were charged by an 8 foot high mother moose at Denali, we were 6 foot from the back of the Redhawk at the time.
myflyertrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #39

Sitting in our Seneca at the Fairbanks Walmart as I write this having just spent 1 month driving from Austin TX, towing a 2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon. We came up from Seattle through BC. A few thoughts (please excuse the rambling nature of what follows).

Don’t forget your passports, you won’t get far without them.

Read the what not to bring into Canada websites and plan accordingly. We have had no issues with customs.

When you cross from Yukon to AK, don’t take the RV lane as clearance is only 12’ 8”. Take the commercial/bus lane even though it is not marked for RVs.

Get the Milepost book, and get your navigator comfortable with it’s layout.

Make sure at least two people in the rig can connect/disconnect the JK by themselves, just in case. We flat tow with a Roadmaster All Terrain town bar.

If you don’t have a brake system in your JK, check out the system by M&G engineering. https://m-gengineering.com/ It uses the Seneca air brakes to activate the Jeep brakes. I have the same system in my JK & F150. It is very simple to use (hookup air hose & break away line and go), and they will install it at their Athens TX shop in an hour or two, or send it to you or your mechanic. I had my mechanic do the Jeep, and M&G do the F150. My Jeep is built, and weighs in at 5400 lbs but I never felt the Seneca struggle with it, but to be legal, you need something if your toad is over 3500 lbs. I have seen others struggle with other systems such as the brake buddy, and love how elegant the M&G system is.

While roads are paved, odds are you will get some rock damage. Had a windshield chip glued for $10 CAD in Williams Lake, and discovered a welt in the forward fiberglass behind the passenger door today from another rock hit. Google is your friend for finding services. The rock chip cost varied from $53 to $10, so it pays to call around.

When you see orange flags on the side of the roads, slow down. Not doing so could launch your wife if she happens to be resting in the back bed. Just sayin .

Diesel costs run in the $4 - $4.50/gal USD in BC, heard others talking about $5 in Eastern BC on the Al-Can.

Use the Gas-Buddy app to track fuel costs. It is crowd sourced, meaning you can report prices as you find them. The more that do it, the better off you are.

I did not see one place in BC that had satellite pumps, so get ready to fill one side, then loop around to fill the other. CostCo in Prince George has good fuel prices.

DEF at the pumps does not seem to exist, but you can buy the 2.5 gal boxes for around $20 CAD. Get a 5 gal diesel can, label it DEF, and fill it when ever you find a place that has bulk DEF and fill from that when you get low. The only place with bulk DEF I saw in BC was the Pilot in William’s Lake (I think).

Don’t make the mistake of thinking BC is just a place to pass through. We spent 10 days driving South to North, absolutely incredible scenery. Hoping to hit Jasper & Baniff on way back.

I am not carrying a spare for the Seneca. So far so good, but I am on the fence that decision.

Private parks with hookups tend to be in the $35 CAD range, no issues getting in without reservations. Denali is the one place I would recommend reservations so far. Wal-Marts & Safeway tend to allow free overnight camping.

I have been told that “Canadian Tire” stores often have dump stations you can use, but I have not used them yet. $5 dump fees are common for those passing though many towns.

If you go through Dease Lake on 37 in BC, get your tanks in the proper position ahead of time and stop at “The Waters Edge” campground. Tell chuck you want site 7, and let him know the other Seneca guy from TX said to say hi. Also ask him to borrow his “Life on the vertical” DVD. There is no water, dump or electric there, but that was our absolute favorite campsite so far.

Bring extra pillows to block the light in your bedroom windows, the MDC shades are not enough. The sun sets tonight at 12:40am, and it is light by 4am, so making the bedroom dark is really a good idea.

Check the screws that hold the fenders over the rear tires a couple of times during the trip. Same for tail lights and steps over gas tank. I had on screw on the passenger step back out 1 inch! Added some lok-tite and it seems to be good. You can actually get at some of those screws from underneath with vice grips as opposed to pealing back the non-skid surface.

Just crossed into Alaska today, so not a bunch to report yet except fuel prices are down in the $3.50 USD range so far, and the Al-Can is very rough for 100 miles either side of the border. Mountain ranges are incredible.

I think nothing of pushing down US highways 500-1000 Miles at a time, but 200-300 miles in BC and AK will kick your butt. Take your time, stop when you get the urge, and enjoy the ride!

Hope my ramblings are helpful! We wing it day by day
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wducat View Post
Sitting in our Seneca at the Fairbanks Walmart as I write this having just spent 1 month driving from Austin TX, towing a 2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon. We came up from Seattle through BC. A few thoughts (please excuse the rambling nature of what follows).

Don’t forget your passports, you won’t get far without them.

Read the what not to bring into Canada websites and plan accordingly. We have had no issues with customs.

When you cross from Yukon to AK, don’t take the RV lane as clearance is only 12’ 8”. Take the commercial/bus lane even though it is not marked for RVs.

Get the Milepost book, and get your navigator comfortable with it’s layout.

Make sure at least two people in the rig can connect/disconnect the JK by themselves, just in case. We flat tow with a Roadmaster All Terrain town bar.

If you don’t have a brake system in your JK, check out the system by M&G engineering. https://m-gengineering.com/ It uses the Seneca air brakes to activate the Jeep brakes. I have the same system in my JK & F150. It is very simple to use (hookup air hose & break away line and go), and they will install it at their Athens TX shop in an hour or two, or send it to you or your mechanic. I had my mechanic do the Jeep, and M&G do the F150. My Jeep is built, and weighs in at 5400 lbs but I never felt the Seneca struggle with it, but to be legal, you need something if your toad is over 3500 lbs. I have seen others struggle with other systems such as the brake buddy, and love how elegant the M&G system is.

While roads are paved, odds are you will get some rock damage. Had a windshield chip glued for $10 CAD in Williams Lake, and discovered a welt in the forward fiberglass behind the passenger door today from another rock hit. Google is your friend for finding services. The rock chip cost varied from $53 to $10, so it pays to call around.

When you see orange flags on the side of the roads, slow down. Not doing so could launch your wife if she happens to be resting in the back bed. Just sayin .

Diesel costs run in the $4 - $4.50/gal USD in BC, heard others talking about $5 in Eastern BC on the Al-Can.

Use the Gas-Buddy app to track fuel costs. It is crowd sourced, meaning you can report prices as you find them. The more that do it, the better off you are.

I did not see one place in BC that had satellite pumps, so get ready to fill one side, then loop around to fill the other. CostCo in Prince George has good fuel prices.

DEF at the pumps does not seem to exist, but you can buy the 2.5 gal boxes for around $20 CAD. Get a 5 gal diesel can, label it DEF, and fill it when ever you find a place that has bulk DEF and fill from that when you get low. The only place with bulk DEF I saw in BC was the Pilot in William’s Lake (I think).

Don’t make the mistake of thinking BC is just a place to pass through. We spent 10 days driving South to North, absolutely incredible scenery. Hoping to hit Jasper & Baniff on way back.

I am not carrying a spare for the Seneca. So far so good, but I am on the fence that decision.

Private parks with hookups tend to be in the $35 CAD range, no issues getting in without reservations. Denali is the one place I would recommend reservations so far. Wal-Marts & Safeway tend to allow free overnight camping.

I have been told that “Canadian Tire” stores often have dump stations you can use, but I have not used them yet. $5 dump fees are common for those passing though many towns.

If you go through Dease Lake on 37 in BC, get your tanks in the proper position ahead of time and stop at “The Waters Edge” campground. Tell chuck you want site 7, and let him know the other Seneca guy from TX said to say hi. Also ask him to borrow his “Life on the vertical” DVD. There is no water, dump or electric there, but that was our absolute favorite campsite so far.

Bring extra pillows to block the light in your bedroom windows, the MDC shades are not enough. The sun sets tonight at 12:40am, and it is light by 4am, so making the bedroom dark is really a good idea.

Check the screws that hold the fenders over the rear tires a couple of times during the trip. Same for tail lights and steps over gas tank. I had on screw on the passenger step back out 1 inch! Added some lok-tite and it seems to be good. You can actually get at some of those screws from underneath with vice grips as opposed to pealing back the non-skid surface.

Just crossed into Alaska today, so not a bunch to report yet except fuel prices are down in the $3.50 USD range so far, and the Al-Can is very rough for 100 miles either side of the border. Mountain ranges are incredible.

I think nothing of pushing down US highways 500-1000 Miles at a time, but 200-300 miles in BC and AK will kick your butt. Take your time, stop when you get the urge, and enjoy the ride!

Hope my ramblings are helpful! We wing it day by day
Thanks Uducat: I have written down all of your suggestions! What was your average speed driving? How many mpg can you travel on the DEF?
Planing on carrying a few jugs from Walmart.
Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote