Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #1

Alaska

Does anyone have any good advice for me and my Seneca traveling to Alaska? Be leaving from Georgia area ina couple of weeks.

Abe padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Other than heading north west not much I can help with.

Oh, don't take any guns if you happen to be into that. Can't carry them thru Canada (long guns you can with correct paperwork).

Old 06-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks. Got the paper work! Wouldn’t leave home without one.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #4

Alaska

This sounds like a great trip.

Buy the Milepost. It is worth whatever they are charging for it now. I drove to Fairbanks from Boston to Alaska in 1987 and all my friends are tired of hearing my stories. The milepost really tells you about the high way and expected services. Fuel up as you can, there are few long stretches but normally services are available on regular basis. Leaving from Georgia the Tetons, Yellowstone glacier national park are all possible. Even the badlands and black hills can be routed in. In Canada , Calgary, banff, jasper are great stops. Liard hot spring great place to unwind.

It took me three months and I could have taken more time amazing beautiful continent we live on.

Are you bringing a spare tire.? This would probably be the one place that I would get and carry a spare. I would not want to sit for a week on the side of the road waiting for specific tire to arrive.

Best wishes for a great trip.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

that's on my bucket list. Can't wait to hear how it all goes! Safe and amazing travels!
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

Thanks RVermont , going to take your advice with the spare tire, put in the rear of my JK toad. I have visited most places in the lower 48. We live in a awesome country!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #7

We are flying to Anchorage in 2 weeks and then traveling by MH for the next 2 weeks. This is DW's and I 3 trip in Alaska. This time we are taking the entire family which includes one of DW's sisters, our 3 kids, and 9 grands. Rented 4 MH's out of ABC rentals in Anchorage.

Probably the biggest negative to what you are doing is that once you have done your thing in AK, you are facing a 5k+ mile drive home. That's ok but in our case the focus is on seeing Alaska not the drive to get there. Like others have said, no guns [long gun with permit] into Canada. I will be flying with an appropriate revolver in my check bag. In Ak you can boondock anywhere as long as you are not blocking traffic and on private property you get permission first. We will probably spend 80% of our nites at highway pull-outs. Only reservation is at Denali NP. Campsites there are limited so recommend getting reservations. We will be passing thru but not stopping in the Fairbanks area. Nothing there to justify a stop. If you're brave I strongly recommend the Denali hwy between Cantwell and Paxton. Over 100 miles mostly on sort of maintained 2 lane gravel road. Many gravel pits along the drive that are good for overnites. When you see a gas station, STOP and fill up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Old 06-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #10