Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #21

We have the multiple character issue with our GPS also.
I have tried the update from the sound stream site, and it will not install.
The dealer just tried it also and has now ordered a new radio unit for our RV.

I hope this one comes with the update pre-installed, but won't hold my breath.

Todd
Texas is currently home
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #22

It seems to only work 75% of the time.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
It seems to only work 75% of the time.
I think that is why our dealer is ordering a new radio unit for our Jayco. I just hope that it works.
If not, I will probably look at a new head unit like previously mentioned like the Kenwood unit.

Thanks

Todd
Texas is currently home
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #24

I just swapped out my 875S for a DNX995S and I am extremely impressed with it. There are a ton of other (cheaper) solutions, but it’s a really good unit. I tried to like the Soundstream but it wasn’t easy.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #25

Me too

We have a 2015 Seneca with the Jensen radio...same problem.
bmeaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #26

Update to radio problem of coming on when blinkers are used

Get a hold of River Park Inc. This is who supplies the radios to Jayco. They will send you a firmware update that will take care of your problem. I just did this and it worked
Hoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #27

Same problem with my 2016 Greyhawk. Check the weather alerts in the radio. If they are enabled they will alert and leave the radio on after.
Feltonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #28

I have a 2019 Greyhawk 29MV that had the same SoundStream in it. After driving it back to Oregon from Florida where I bought it, the first thing I did was yank that POS SoundStream out and replace it with a Kenwood head unit. Love the Kenwood. A VERY DETAILED write up on what I did and what I encountered is here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5/jayco-greyhawk-camera-controller-switcher-67638.html#post761561[
Old 10-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #29

Welcome to the Jayco radio club. We have the exact same problem on our new 2019 Jayco Greyhawk. Dealer said, Jayco said, it was functioning OK. As for the cameras- if you turn the radio to the camera mode, the side cameras will turn on as soon as the turn indicator is activated (ie. no long delay), but...the radio screen stays on with the rear camera activated. Cute. As for the music when the turn indicators are activated or the vehicle is put into reverse even when the radio was set to off prior to activating the turn indicators or shifting to reverse...there appears no fix other than quickly hitting the mute button or having a station you really wanted to listen to in the radio. This is a pathetic radio. The GPS doesn't provide much information, it does not have a Sirius tuner (although the radio does have a Sirius selection page...just doesn't do anything), does not appear to sync with iphones using BlueTooth although there is a BlueTooth selection page, and gets really poor reception on FM when facing away from the radio station. It also will not allow us to plug in our iPads and use Waze on the radio display...like the Ford F150, Hondas, etc will. We are looking for a substitute to purchase but have yet to find one which will give functionality to the cameras.
Skip76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #30

Our 2015 29MV had a Clarion head unit. First time I attempted to update the maps, it started having issues. Replaced with a Kenwood DNX692 and everything worked as it did before, including side and rear cams. We never had an issue with the radio coming on with blinkers or shifting with either unit. Seems like that would be quite annoying. No idea what's different with my set up other than age.
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #31

I have similar problems with that soundstream. I don't like anything about that unit!
201926y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss45 View Post
I purchased a new 2020, 29MV Greyhawk and am wondering if anyone has the same problem as I have. I have a Sound Stream in dash radio m/n- VRN-65HXBRP. I also have side and rear cameras that come on the screen of the radio when they are activated. When the radio is off and I activate one of the blinkers or put the motorhome in reverse the radio will come on and play music. When I turn the blinker off or put the motorhome back in drive the music will stop. This is very annoying as it happens every time. I have been to the dealer with this problem and they tell me that its normal for this radio to do this. I contacted Jayco and they told me that they have not heard of this situation before and suggested that I take the motorhome back to the dealer. I know what the dealer is going to say and they are going to tell me the same thing. Can anyone help me with this? I have had many motorhomes in the past with cameras and have never had this problem.
i have a 2015 Greyhawk, the problem is the panel is wired w the frig, my tech found it out, Jayco could care less about it, they know about and wont do anything about it, it is not normal, my cure is the little pin hole, push a paper clip in it and it resets and frig gets proper power and cameras work fine, me and my local tech were getting 10.2 from frig, put the paper clip in and wala 13.2 like it sb, the radio does want to turn on by itself, Jayco just say screw you once you buy it, the dealer i bought it from had my coach 6 months and said they fixed it and did not Jayco though wont pressure them to fix it. never buy a Jayco, they used to be good now just another car dealer.
davidcaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #33

I've got all the same problems with the Soundstream unit in my 2020 Redhawk 24B listed above. It's pretty buggy and poor quality in general.

Additionally, anyone know how to adjust the brightness of the rear backup camera on the Soundstream unit or camera itself? Mine seems too bright all the time. I've been through the menus and cannot find anything.

If it is not possible to adjust at all with the Soundsteam head unit, does replacing just the head unit give you brightness control on the stock backup camera with other better head units, or does it have more to do with the camera itself being too bright?
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
I would suggest two things- first, make sure the GPS clock is on. Go to main setup>General>GPS Clock and turn it on.

If that doesn’t work, next I would do a complete factory reset. To do that, go to main setup>General>EEPROM reset. Keep in mind this will erase every setting.

If neither of those work, I would reach out to Jayco for a replacement. They really need to know how bad these radios really are.
I'm sure the whole industry knows how bad these radio's are. The rate of replacement would really be interesting to know.

The cheapest of everything gets put into most RV's.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss45 View Post
Update to radio problem of coming on when blinkers are used

Get a hold of River Park Inc. This is who supplies the radios to Jayco. They will send you a firmware update that will take care of your problem. I just did this and it worked
Can you share this, please? I'd love to see what it does. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip76 View Post
Welcome to the Jayco radio club. We have the exact same problem on our new 2019 Jayco Greyhawk. Dealer said, Jayco said, it was functioning OK. As for the cameras- if you turn the radio to the camera mode, the side cameras will turn on as soon as the turn indicator is activated (ie. no long delay), but...the radio screen stays on with the rear camera activated. Cute. As for the music when the turn indicators are activated or the vehicle is put into reverse even when the radio was set to off prior to activating the turn indicators or shifting to reverse...there appears no fix other than quickly hitting the mute button or having a station you really wanted to listen to in the radio. This is a pathetic radio. The GPS doesn't provide much information, it does not have a Sirius tuner (although the radio does have a Sirius selection page...just doesn't do anything), does not appear to sync with iphones using BlueTooth although there is a BlueTooth selection page, and gets really poor reception on FM when facing away from the radio station. It also will not allow us to plug in our iPads and use Waze on the radio display...like the Ford F150, Hondas, etc will. We are looking for a substitute to purchase but have yet to find one which will give functionality to the cameras.
Any radio that has a camera input will work. You only need one. If you have a Greyhawk, you have a switcher that will turn them on when you turn the blinker or put it in reverse.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #37

This is how I get around that issue and others.
1 Always use the remote. Pressing on the unit buttons almost never works.
2 When I start out I turn the radio on and using the remote I press the BT bluetooth button. Mine does work with my phone.
3 Once on BT I press the button at the far right and bottom of the radio itself. It's kind of a weird horizontal symbol. This turns the rear camera on and keeps it on.

With above set up you won't hear anything unless you have something playing from your phone. The useless side cameras also come on instantly when you use the turn signals because the unit is already on.

Kenwood makes great replacements if you don't mind the expense.

Anyone figured out if the rear camera itself is the culprit or the radio when looking at the very poor quality of the rrar camera? It seems to work best in low light.
PhilT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #38

The issue is definitely the head unit. The picture on my DNX875S and the DNX995S I swapped it with is much, much better. A picture really isn't a lot of use here, but let's try.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2189.jpg  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #39

Anybody know what exact speakers [size, brand, model] are stock in the doors of the Redhawk 24B?
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #40

Sure. They are Ford 6x8s. Here is the model.
Attached Thumbnails
2D93278D-7577-4D45-B022-5726D6CDD932.jpg