Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
As caster pertains to the E350/E450, here is where it began, circa 2010, some 92000 reads ago.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Thanks Harvard!

I've read that thread before, and just re-read some of it.

Am I reading right that all you did was order and install the Ingall's bushings set to increase caster by 2 degrees?

Did you ever take your rig to an alignment shop to adjust or check anything after the install?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Thanks Harvard!

I've read that thread before, and just re-read some of it.

Am I reading right that all you did was order and install the Ingall's bushings set to increase caster by 2 degrees?

Did you ever take your rig to an alignment shop to adjust or check anything after the install?
NO...the only alignment was done before I started to play with the caster sleeves. At the time of the alignment the sleeves were already installed (but not adjusted) and were set at an adjustment of 0.0 degrees caster each side (+3.25 and +3.5). All I did was increase each side by adjusting +2.0 degrees and set the toe using a tape measure in an RV park. That was 40000 miles ago and no abnormal tire wear since.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
I utilized the link to customer service provided in this thread, and Jayco responded in less than 24 hours. Originally they replied that alignments were not usually covered under warranty, however after some back and forth correspondence, they agreed to cover one alignment as a goodwill gesture. My 2018 Greyhawk 31DS, which handles extremely poorly whether loaded with or without cargo, is less 60 days old which in part is why they approved the repair. Any suggestions on what I should request spec wise from my local truck alignment facility? Should I add a roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer while I have it in for the alignment?
yes to the stabilizer. I installed a SafeTPlus and it made a noticeable difference.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #24

I contacted Jayco Motorized and was given the approval for my front end alinement and to have the front wheels balanced, they even provided the P.O. # to note on the invoice. They have refused to pay for the alinement and balance portion on the bill that I turned in as I had a Safety-Steer installed at the same time. I only asked that they pay for the portion that we had agreed to earlier... still nothing from them... JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #25

Good find

As of now my 2018 Grayhawk 30XP has been in Camping World of Savannah for almost two months getting auto leveling and keyless entry repaired under warranty. I too noticed right off the bat the steering on my unit just plain wears me out on trips. I was not at all aware of this option and will most definitely get a front end alignment completed.

Great thread with great information, thanks.

JIM
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #26

Quote:
I utilized the link to customer service provided in this thread, and Jayco responded in less than 24 hours. Originally they replied that alignments were not usually covered under warranty, however after some back and forth correspondence, they agreed to cover one alignment as a goodwill gesture. My 2018 Greyhawk 31DS, which handles extremely poorly whether loaded with or without cargo, is less 60 days old which in part is why they approved the repair. Any suggestions on what I should request spec wise from my local truck alignment facility? Should I add a roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer while I have it in for the alignment?
I bought my 2013 31DS used a few months ago. It handled terrible also. My first trip was a white knuckle experience due to bad weather and winds. On the trip back with good weather an no wind it wasn't any better. Had the alignment check, and it was perfect. I decided to do a complete suspension upgrade from the stock Ford setup. A did then following upgrades.

1. Bilstein shocks all four wheels.
2. Hellwig front and rear stabilizer bars
3. Bilstein steering stabilizer.
4. Adjusted the play in the steering box. (Many of these steering boxes are not properly adjusted from the factory)

The Bilstein steering stabilizer is a good upgrade but it doesn't help with returning the steering to center. The Reflex steering stabilizer with the spring would have been better.

After the upgrade it travels straight an true. I can just rest my hand on the steering like a normal vehicle and enjoy the trip.
edsamuel1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsamuel1957 View Post
I bought my 2013 31DS used a few months ago. It handled terrible also. My first trip was a white knuckle experience due to bad weather and winds. On the trip back with good weather an no wind it wasn't any better. Had the alignment check, and it was perfect. I decided to do a complete suspension upgrade from the stock Ford setup. A did then following upgrades.

1. Bilstein shocks all four wheels.
2. Hellwig front and rear stabilizer bars
3. Bilstein steering stabilizer.
4. Adjusted the play in the steering box. (Many of these steering boxes are not properly adjusted from the factory)

The Bilstein steering stabilizer is a good upgrade but it doesn't help with returning the steering to center. The Reflex steering stabilizer with the spring would have been better.

After the upgrade it travels straight an true. I can just rest my hand on the steering like a normal vehicle and enjoy the trip.
You say that you had the alignment checked, and it was "perfect". Did they check the caster? Ford has a wide range of acceptable caster setting on these chassis. In my experience, they will check the toe and camber, but will rarely check the caster. Even if they DO check the caster, the acceptable range is between somewhere in the +3 to somewhere in the +7 range. So if it's +3.5/+3.8 (or something like that), that's within spec, so the tech might call it good when in reality it should be up in the +5-+5.5 range. And from what I've read, that 2 degrees makes all the difference in the world.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You say that you had the alignment checked, and it was "perfect". Did they check the caster? Ford has a wide range of acceptable caster setting on these chassis. In my experience, they will check the toe and camber, but will rarely check the caster. Even if they DO check the caster, the acceptable range is between somewhere in the +3 to somewhere in the +7 range. So if it's +3.5/+3.8 (or something like that), that's within spec, so the tech might call it good when in reality it should be up in the +5-+5.5 range. And from what I've read, that 2 degrees makes all the difference in the world.
Increasing the caster does improve the centering and straight line performance. However it highly not recommended since it can make the camper, especially the larger heavy ones, highly unstable during of high speed tire blowouts and severe crosswinds. It can induce the dreaded dead wobble causing you to loose control. It is far safer to upgrade the components that cause the problem for poor steering/suspension performance.
edsamuel1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #29

Death Wobble

Death Wobble is something that is restricted to solid front axels (4x4s F53s etc) and there are just as many reports of increased caster as a cure as there are vice versa.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Finally located a second local truck service center who supplied me with an estimate for an alignment. Now awaiting final approval from Jayco to proceed with the service from the lowest estimate. I will be bringing the suggested specs from this forum to the service center as a point of reference. Fingers crossed .........

Hey I’m in Central NJ (old bridge area). Did you complete the alignment yet? I just bought a 2018 Greyhawk 31FS. Drove it back from MO yesterday and got home today and thought I was going to lose my mind. The steering is just awful. If you Luckily I was aware of this issue and came to see what everyone else was doing Let me know.

Thx
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Hey I’m in Central NJ (old bridge area). Did you complete the alignment yet? I just bought a 2018 Greyhawk 31FS. Drove it back from MO yesterday and got home today and thought I was going to lose my mind. The steering is just awful. If you Luckily I was aware of this issue and came to see what everyone else was doing Let me know.

Thx
Not yet, both of the local shops I obtained estimates from did not sit well with me. They were nasty, dirty, scary looking facilities with miserable employees who did not appear all that interested in doing the job. In addition, upon further research both facilities had poor ratings. I am searching now for another location to do the work.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Not yet, both of the local shops I obtained estimates from did not sit well with me. They were nasty, dirty, scary looking facilities with miserable employees who did not appear all that interested in doing the job. In addition, upon further research both facilities had poor ratings. I am searching now for another location to do the work.
Thanks.

I called All American Ford and waiting to hear back from them. They are right in my area so it would be super convenient.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #33

Quote:
If you're driveable to Wall, NJ - this place will do you right:

R&H Spring and Truck Repair | Auto Parts | Wall, NJ

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

It is about 80 miles from me, 1 hour 45 minutes, not too bad. Did they do yours, if so, how did they do? Were they knowledgeable with the Ford chassis issue?
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 10-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Thanks.

I called All American Ford and waiting to hear back from them. They are right in my area so it would be super convenient.
Where in NJ are they located? Do they perform alignments on the E-450 chassis? My local Ford truck center did not do alignments.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 10-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Where in NJ are they located? Do they perform alignments on the E-450 chassis? My local Ford truck center did not do alignments.
Will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #37

Quote:
It is about 80 miles from me, 1 hour 45 minutes, not too bad. Did they do yours, if so, how did they do? Were they knowledgeable with the Ford chassis issue?
Yes a number of RV dealers in Lakewood send their units up there. Even Tiffins. They are well versed in the E450 - just tell them ahead of time you want more caster.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post

I called R & H Spring & Truck today, they appear to be very knowledgeable on the E-450 chassis issue. The individual I spoke with indicated they have performed numerous alignments on class C motorhomes built on the Ford platform, most of which required adjustable bushings and more caster to correct. Their price was inline with estimates I had obtained from my local shops. Even though they are 80 miles from me, its a no brainer that I am going to travel and have them perform the work. Having the job performed mid November, Jayco has approved the estimate. Will post results. Thanks Jopopsy for turning me on to them, I owe you a drink!
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 10-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #39

Quote:
I called R & H Spring & Truck today, they appear to be very knowledgeable on the E-450 chassis issue. The individual I spoke with indicated they have performed numerous alignments on class C motorhomes built on the Ford platform, most of which required adjustable bushings and more castor to correct. Their price was inline with estimates I had obtained from my local shops. Even though they are 80 miles from me, its a no brainer that I am going to travel and have them perform the work. Having the job performed mid November, Jayco has approved the estimate. Will post results. Thanks Jopopsy for turning me on to them, I owe you a drink!
I'm still waiting for a call back from All American Ford lol. It's impossible to get someone from their commercial service area on the phone. Not a good sign. I think I would rather go with R & H since they are only 15 miles from me and their reviews are all great. Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #40

Glad I could help the both of you !