Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #41

Looks like it will be a few weeks before they can do any alignments. Their tech had some type of accident so they asked if I could call in a couple weeks.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #42

I had my 2017 Seneca FK front suspension aligned at a local company that has been in business since the early 50's! It was bad!!

A few things I learned..

Unlike passenger, and light truck wheels that center on the hub when tightening the lug nuts, Commercial truck wheels/lug nuts do not do this. They have a device that centers the wheel on the hub.

Large truck tires have a tendency to be out of round. Once the wheel are centered, a machine is used with sharp blades to true the tire. Somewhat like a jointer.

A steering stabilizer is essential piece of equipment. I use the Safe-T-Plus. If a steer tire blows out, the Safe-T-Plus will make it controllable. I went one step further and installed the Roadmaster Davis Track Bar to manage axle wonder.

The results of my experience is having a rig that is a pleasure to drive down the road. The shake rattle and roll is gone, and big rigs are no longer a threat. I can relax and steer with one hand!!! I can even release the wheel for a short period and the Seneca tracks straight ahead on flat road.

And yes, Jayco reimbursed me less the cost of the Safe-T-Plus & the track bar.
2017 Seneca 36FK
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #43

Update on the alignment. My Jayco authorized alignment for my 2018 Greyhawk 31DS is finally scheduled for 12-7 at a Truck & Spring facility well versed in the E-450 issues (thanks again for the referral JoPopsy). They indicated they will be installing adjustable bushings and increasing the caster to correct the loose steering/wandering effect at highway speeds. A second forum member is also having the same facility do his Greyhawk alignment two days prior. I will post results shortly after, as I have a 2 hour drive home from the facility that should reveal whether or not this is succesful in correcting the problem. Fingers crossed!!
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #44

Yes I can't wait to get this alignment done in December. I am also having R&H Spring install a Roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer to help with the issue.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #45

Greetings, All!

I just had my 2018 Greyhawk 29MV at the frontend shop yesterday, and was able to take advantage of a 48-year truck alignment veteran.

I am attaching the before and after alignment numbers for all of you to see (notice to out-of-spec numbers for toe and the large caster differential from left-to-right). After the service/alignment, the rig now handles like a dream rolling down the highway. I'm so much happier now!

Now to wait on Jayco for (hopeful) reimbursement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alignment Forum Post.pdf (244.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #46

As I said in the other post, you did not end up with enough +caster (LH +4.3 RH +4.5)

It should have been set at least LH+5.3 and RH +5.5. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of the exercise.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
As I said in the other post, you did not end up with enough +caster (LH +4.3 RH +4.5)

It should have been set at least LH+5.3 and RH +5.5. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of the exercise.
I've read your prior posts, Harvard, and while I appreciate your knowledge and insight, it is important to work with a reputable and trustworthy expert. I shared the "5.0º+ caster" option with multiple mechanics and alignment shops (along with my own background in mechanical engineering and race suspension tuning). All had concerns with caster settings above 5º on a 14,000 pound rig.

Ultimately, the end result is the determining factor. I am pleased with the much-improved handling of the motorhome. This was certainly a worthwhile and productive "exercise."
Old 12-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #48

I need more cowbell! No, actually I needed more caster. Finally had my 2018 Greyhawk 31DS aligned today by a reputable Truck & Spring facility in central jersey, R&H Spring & Truck in Wall Twp. Great knowledgeable people! They increased my caster into the +5.0 to +5.6 range and what a difference. No more darting side to side, no more loose feeling steering, and no more fatigue from battling the side to side wandering. Did not need the steering stabilizer after all, as the alignment fixed my problems. Jayco had given pre-authorization for the work, and indicated they will be reimbursing me upon receipt of my paid invoice and alignment report. A big thank you to forum members for educating me on the caster issue and for turning me on to R&H. Anyone in the NJ, PA, or DE areas experiencing similar issues should contact R&H, they are top notch.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 12-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu;71108/
Great knowledgeable people! They increased my caster into the +5.0 to +5.6 range and what a difference. No more darting side to side, no more loose feeling steering, and no more fatigue from battling the side to side wandering.
In my opinion FORD needs to deliver the chassis to all MH manufacturers with that caster since they know what they will be used for.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #50

Just an FYI update. After submitting copies of my paid invoice and pre/post alignment reports to Jayco via email, 2 weeks later I received a check for full reimbursement (less sales tax, Jayco is apparently tax exempt). Hooray! Problem solved and Jayco picked up the tab. Anyone else experiencing similar handling issues with a new, or near new unit should take advantage of this opportunity of having Jayco pay to correct the problem. Again, much thanks to everyone on this forum who provided me this valuable information.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 04-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #51

Just picked up my rig from R&H this evening. This is my 2nd time there as I was a previous customer w/ my Sunseeker. And, as I vouched for them earlier to those of you who used them, R&H did a fantastic job with my alignment. +5.8L, +6.6R caster, all other alignment metrics just about bullseye in the middle of the tolerances.

Took her back down 195 (for those of you not around here, there is a lot of open straight road, at least by NJ standards), brought her up to 65, and steered with my pinky at 6 o’clock on the steering wheel for a little. Couldn’t be happier with the alignment, can’t say enough good things about R&H.

R&H Spring

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #52

Fantastic! They do great work there. My final numbers were +5.3 Left and +6.0 Right with all other settings pretty much dead on, and I can also now steer with ease. A night and day handling improvement over the original factory settings. R&H knows their stuff! Thanks again for the referral.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #53

Here is the way I see the topic of "original factory settings":

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber sleeves, "one size fits all".

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford sleeves, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine, possibly excepting the 31 footers.

So, some RVs have a problem and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Your dealer should have placed a call to Jayco for you, but since many dealers are lazy I am not surprised they didn't. The best way is email customer service along with your VIN, I have never heard of anyone not being approved for the alignment.

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/service/
Then you must have missed my post! Called Jayco customer service after I got my front end aligned and they old me I was essentially crazy since the RV was a year old...
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
Then you must have missed my post! Called Jayco customer service after I got my front end aligned and they old me I was essentially crazy since the RV was a year old...
I feel for you. Just because you didn't find out about a solution and "lived" with the problem for a year. A year is very short amount of time for an RV given limited usage. If Jayco can find an "out" from paying they will use it.
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
Fantastic! They do great work there. My final numbers were +5.3 Left and +6.0 Right with all other settings pretty much dead on, and I can also now steer with ease. A night and day handling improvement over the original factory settings. R&H knows their stuff! Thanks again for the referral.
So as a fellow SJ guy, are these guys in Wall NJ?
Bigger question is did they have to upgrade suspension to be able to adjust Caster?
My little 22 (Ford F450 chassis) is a wanderer, she definitely is nose down as well.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #57

Yes this place is in Wall - check out the link I included above. And to adjust the caster on a E450 you need special bushings - which R&H has. If you make an appointment w/ them just let them know up front / ahead of time that you're looking for more caster +5 - +6.

Also if you have Hellwig Helper springs on your unit, adjust them ! Search this forum for how, I have a long detailed post w/ the steps needed. I'd adjust the springs before getting the rig aligned.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201822j View Post
So as a fellow SJ guy, are these guys in Wall NJ?
Bigger question is did they have to upgrade suspension to be able to adjust Caster?
My little 22 (Ford F450 chassis) is a wanderer, she definitely is nose down as well.

Thanks
As Jopopsy said, yes they are in Wall Twp, an easy drive from South Jersey up the Parkway. Just call them ahead of time to schedule and let them know you have a class C on a Ford E -450 chassis that needs more caster. They will know exactly what to do, these guys are great. Also, my rig was just over 4 months old when I had them align the front end and I had no problem getting Jayco to pick up the tab under warranty. Just call Jayco prior and get pre-authorization, do not accept no for an answer, persistance coupled with politeness usually pays off.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
Old 04-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #59

Is this normal for the E-450?

I have a 2016 Greyhawk 31DS that I bought new and haven't experienced any of the alignment problems mentioned here.
CrowCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowCross View Post
Is this normal for the E-450?

I have a 2016 Greyhawk 31DS that I bought new and haven't experienced any of the alignment problems mentioned here.
As stated above, it may depend on the nose up/down attitude of the final build, knowing for sure is a work in progress. That is assuming your RV as built has never been on an alignment rack.