Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Jayco quality

Called Jayco today to try to schedule some service I need on my 2017 37TS, mainly slide out adjustments. I was told that they are currently booked thru next April in the service department and that I should look at a dealer for the work. My thoughts are what has happened to Jayco quality perceived or otherwise if the service department is booked 8 months out??
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It means they have a lot of service work on their manufactured product. If they step up quality workmanship the service lineup will go down. It is sad.

American manufactures seem the get away with things (because people are buying a less quality product). In Europe with poor quality they would be in an instant out of business.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Called Jayco today to try to schedule some service I need on my 2017 37TS, mainly slide out adjustments. I was told that they are currently booked thru next April in the service department and that I should look at a dealer for the work. My thoughts are what has happened to Jayco quality perceived or otherwise if the service department is booked 8 months out??
The Middlebury service center handles many repairs that dealers can't, consequently they are servicing several thousand units a year. They also do "non warranty" service work. Try getting your car serviced if there was only one shop in KY.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
In Europe with poor quality they would be in an instant out of business.
I dont buy this for a minute. Look what VW got away with on the diesel emissions scandal, they paid the US billions but not one cent in europe where it sold eight times as many cars.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

I suggest you consider your local dealer or, better yet, an independent servicer. I'd do the independent shop even if it were a warranty item to alleviate the stress and aggravation some dealers throw at you (depending on the magnitude of the cost, of course). Thanks for getting your rig set up right for the next owner.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

You can contact Jayco and they may approve service at an independent shop;

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
Why are you going to Jayco corporate for slide adjustments? What did your selling dealer say regarding this?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
You can contact Jayco and they may approve service at an independent shop;

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/

X2

I had $15,000 in warranty work done by an independent shop. Jayco authorized the work as soon as they saw the estimate and paid my local RV shop in a timely manner. I couldn't be happier with Jayco's customer service.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

These RV's are not built like cars. They are built more like houses. The Ford chassis is about the only thing that is highly regulated as part of the assembly process.

Having been to a few of the RV OEMs, they don't have the manpower (or likely the want) to build like they should.

Then again, why would they? People are buying more RV's than ever, despite poor quality.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #10

I can only say that I feel fortunate with my '14 37FS. We have had minimal issues out of ours compared to some. Given the issues I've heard from others on this forum, it is unlikely I will be a repeat Jayco customer unless I'm convinced beyond a doubt that the quality of my next one will be as good or better than my existing. We spent hard-earned money to have the best we could afford. Someone spending 6 figures should not receive a product that spends weeks and months in a shop during its first year of ownership. If that were my case, not only would I be mad, I doubt I would be dedicating as much of my time to this lifestyle.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #11

We have also have had few issues with our Jayco Greyhawk. I doubt everyone has major problems and because the ones without don’t post it’s very hard to say for sure.

I for one am just thankful that Jayco will let you make appointments with the factory to have problems resolved. I’m not sure all brands offer that service.

Hopefully yours will be fixed and the remainder of ownership will be trouble free.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #12

When we owned our Keystone Premier, we always had to go through our dealer for EVERYTHING, even once when we wanted to order two interior wood doors. To my knowledge, Keystone would never consider doing service work at their factory or allowing the purchase of supplies other than through the dealer.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

We bought a new 2018 272BH toy hauler in March. Have only been able to use it 3 times. I has been at the dealer for a total of about 12 weeks as of now and is still there. Had a plethora of manufacture defects: 2 leaking faucets, shower panel coming off the walls, broken air conditioner, non working fridge, missing components, exterior defective fridge panel, broken ground for the fuel pump nd more. The dealer said all manufacturers stuck at quality. They are only interested in getting as many units out the door as possible and doing with issues under warranty. If Georgia had a Lemon Law for RV's I would be all over it. Would then buy something other than a Jayco.
Ethosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #14

Jayco Quality

IMHO Jayco has dropped the ball on quality which leaves the Dealers/Service Centers with a backlog of work! I also think they are trying to save money by working short handed and overworking their current employees!

Greed is a basic human emotion and the only way to fight this is to not buy their products and to not recommend them to people you know!

My fridge worked once on a 3-day trip then the next trip the fridge went out the first day of my dry camp trip! Naturally, too busy to help!

They fixed it so the next trip it failed again! Again, too busy to help!

Customer service sucks!

Once repaired, will never take it back! It will be independent service from now on! I guess that’s why the independents are flourishing!
DonB-1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #15

Jayco Quality

Hey there..as for the repair, I'd suggest using a local dealer. Our 2018 37K needed some adjustments and replacement of some items that were bad due to people walking through the unit and due to the transport company. RVs are like houses, no two alike to some point, but eventually something needs repaired/replaced or serviced. I'd find a local shop who is trained on Jayco to do the work. Our local dealer spent time fixing two major issues and was more that happy to make us happy with our purchase. Personally the Jayco product stands way above others we have looked at and owned. Best of luck and I hope you find satisfaction with your RV.
adonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethosb View Post
We bought a new 2018 272BH toy hauler in March. Have only been able to use it 3 times. I has been at the dealer for a total of about 12 weeks as of now and is still there. They are only interested in getting as many units out the door as possible and doing with issues under warranty. .
When I had this "Jayco quality" discussion with my local dealer recently, I was told that "the final 20% of the assembly line is finished at the dealer service center." Whether or not that is an actual corporate objective is up for debate. But it certainly seems to be so based on my experience with my Greyhawk.
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonofrio View Post
Personally the Jayco product stands way above others we have looked at and owned. Best of luck and I hope you find satisfaction with your RV.
I would have agreed a while back when considering a Class C. I have heard that they do build the Coaches better than TT's
When 1st considering TT's way back when I really became disappointed with quality issues which seems to be numerous. Checking other brands I have found the owners of Arctic Fox and ORV's seem to be the most pleased with their purchases. Owners of them regularly visit their factories and are impressed with the facility and the way they are built. A bunch of loyal buyers who stay with those brands when they make a change.
We have been considering a Class C when my wife retires and Jayco seems like a "possible" choice BUT after seeing the quality issues I get afraid of using a large portion of our life's savings to put into a can of worms.
Really almost getting scared off of RV's altogether.................that is heartbreaking.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #18

No one should be forced to pay to get their unit repaired under warranty! Jayco dealership is too greedy to hire enough people to keep up with the repairs and the company is too greedy to buy quality products to put in their units! There are better companies and better dealerships!
DonB-1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #19

We purchased the same model 2018 37K back in April, we love it so far, except for the length of time it takes to fuel up. I'm curious on what major issues you had. Thanks
liano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #20

They better tell you that. 3 months ago I had scheduled an appt on Jan 9th
CHV_FRK is offline   Reply With Quote