Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Melbourne mattress

Hi all, Does anyone have a source for a short queen mattress with bottom corners radiused, 74" x 52", to fit a 2012 Melbourne?
Thanks, Tapley
Tapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #2

I dont know about your measurements, but i picket up this short queen to replace the junk from Jayco. Its actually a very comfortable bed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BW7H5ZW..._hHH4CbN9KZJM4
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I dont know about your measurements, but i picket up this short queen to replace the junk from Jayco. Its actually a very comfortable bed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BW7H5ZW..._hHH4CbN9KZJM4

Booey...I’ve heard these mattresses may be “hot” to sleep on...any feedback?

Thanks
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

Try TOCHTA Mattresses out of CA I believe. I havent bought one yet, however they do make one that is a queen short with radius curves. Reviews sound promising.
Tobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #5

Followed Booey's advice

Just ordered a Zinus 10" short Queen from Amazon. Quite a struggle to get verified dimensions but Amazon came through and gave me the following 61"x74"x10". We will have to forgo the radiused corners unless we can figure out how to hack them off Will post the results of all this if and when....
Tapley
Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #6

Did you get it? How is it?

Mattresses seem to be very personal experience and what i like in one im sure isnt the same from others. That being said, i dont find it hot and both my wife and i really do enjoy sleeping on the mattress. Will you find someone that says its horrible and hot, im sure you can. Most of the reviews are similar to mine, very positive.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapley View Post
Just ordered a Zinus 10" short Queen from Amazon. Quite a struggle to get verified dimensions but Amazon came through and gave me the following 61"x74"x10". We will have to forgo the radiused corners unless we can figure out how to hack them off Will post the results of all this if and when....
Tapley
An electric carving knife like you would use to carve a turkey works great on foam. If you don’t want to use your good one you may be able to find one cheap at a garage sale.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

I found a lot of cool gel memory foam mattresses on ebay. The trick is you have to find the size "RV Queen" that is the shorter queen size that fits our camper. I bought one 3 years ago and have never regretted it
williamwynia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapley View Post
Tapley
So far...excellent! Took the 19"x19" box to the bedroom and unpacked it there. It started to expand as soon as it was out of its wrapping and expanded to it's full 10" in 12 hours. Time will tell how serviceable it will be in the long run but it is extremely comfortable right now! No more sore hips and shoulders.
Tapley
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #10

I also have the Zinus short queen 10 inch. Seems very comfortable but as said above that is very subjective. Mine is cushy but has enough support. I am a side sleeper, she is back, and we both like it.

One problem is lifting the bed. My lifters are not strong enough and it is quite a chore to get it up and put a prop under it.

I am thinking of adding a power lifter as a few have done.

If you buy from Zinus direct (about the same price) they have a great return policy. Amazon has very mixed reviews on returns of mattresses.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Site Team

We've had our Zinus 10" for two years now, an amazing difference. You could say it was almost a marriage saver! You're gonna love yours for a long, long time!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #12

Don’t mean to hijack the original question, but has anyone dealt with the Melbourne folding mattress “joint seam” (where the two pieces are attached and fold) coming out? Ours is nearly gone (partly just failed and partly torn because it’s right where I put my knee when I climb into the bed).
Not sure how to repair or if better to trash it and replace.

Thanks for all feedback...Happy Camping.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Don’t mean to hijack the original question, but has anyone dealt with the Melbourne folding mattress “joint seam” (where the two pieces are attached and fold) coming out? Ours is nearly gone (partly just failed and partly torn because it’s right where I put my knee when I climb into the bed).

Just my $00.02 but I recommend joining team memory foam. You and your body wont regret the switch

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Just my $00.02 but I recommend joining team memory foam. You and your body wont regret the switch
I'll add a penny or two to that. Adding a 3" memory foam topper made a really big difference over the stock, plywood (feeling) mattress.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post

Have you tried any of ideas in the other threads specifically for this issue? They range from pool noodles to wood supports for the gap.
I trashed and replaced mine in this thread. Fixes to the gap on the first four pages and replacement starts on page 5
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ess-49622.html
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Have you tried any of ideas in the other threads specifically for this issue? They range from pool noodles to wood supports for the gap.
I trashed and replaced mine in this thread. Fixes to the gap on the first four pages and replacement starts on page 5
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ess-49622.html

PF...I have not tried those fixes because we have a large “body pillow” we put under the mattress in the gap and it’s working for us.
My problem is the two sections of the mattress are separating due to the stitching giving out.
Even if I put a topper on the mattress, I still have the stitching failure issue to deal with.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #17

Has anyone found a adjustable (like sleep number) mattress in the short queen size? sleep number says they have one but it is pricey. I found one on the web but then I lost the link!
Bjinzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjinzina View Post
Has anyone found a adjustable (like sleep number) mattress in the short queen size? sleep number says they have one but it is pricey. I found one on the web but then I lost the link!
Funny, it's almost like camping is no longer camping. At least in the sense of where a lot of us came from, laying on a cot inside of a tent... LOL.

When are they gonna start opening up McDonald's @ the campground is what I really want to know, just sayin...

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjinzina View Post
Here's the r3 Sleep Number link. https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/RV-Beds/p/R3

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Funny, it's almost like camping is no longer camping. At least in the sense of where a lot of us came from, laying on a cot inside of a tent... LOL.
For sure... feels like almost yesterday, camping while Scoutmaster with the Boy Scouts, sleeping on the ground, with that luxurious 1 inch foam pad under the sleeping bag....

Quote:
When are they gonna start opening up McDonald's @ the campground is what I really want to know, just sayin...
And make sure there's FREE delivery to your campsite, too!!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote