Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #1

Norcold fridge again

Please forgive my ignorance... im a newbie.

Our fridge. I plugged it in last night. All seemed to be ok. Went to bed and the fridge was cold. This morning the green light was red. The fridge was off. I turned it back on. I dobt know why it shut off. After a few hours I turned the propane on. Unplugged the rv. I then heard clicking, which is normal. Problem is I don't know if its on with the LP. Is the light supposed to be solid red on LP? THANKS ALL
dr5chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #2

Should be solid green on both lp and AC.
Mine shut off the other day as well. It was very windy out so I'm guessing might have been that. If you haven't used propane in a while bleed the air by lighting stove burners for a min or 2.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Make sure that you did not flip your battery disconnect switch because LP setting still requires 12V. Yes I was actually that stupid once and flipped it out of habit.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #4

If you were connected to shore power and using the fridge on electric power with the propane turned off, any power interruption (even short term) would prompt the unit to try to run on gas (automatic switchover) If your gas was turned off, it would not light and would shut down on safety, which would cause the trouble light to come on. I always have my LP turned on when using the fridge on electric just for backup. As mentioned already: if your propane has been off for a while, you will need to purge air out of the lines. The best way is to run any gas appliance near the fridge - such as the cooktop. Even after that, the fridge may not get gas before the safety shuts it down. In that case, turn it off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on. The clicking sound is the igniter trying to light the gas. If it does not sense the heat from burning gas after about a minute, it will shut off on safety. As soon as it lights, the igniter will stop clicking, and the light should stay green. You can also listen for the sound of the burner, but it is hard to hear unless you put your ear near the bottom right hand corner of the lower exterior refrigerator vent.
If the problem continues to occur, you may need to do some maintenance if the fridge is more than a year old.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Also, make sure you have it on the correct cycle, there are 3 choices: electric only, propane only and Automatic, where it changes depending on what's turned on/plugged in.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #6

Most of all please reply back when you fix these issues, kinda rude to not keep the people who help updated

And the original thread would be fine to continue discussing your issues
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #7

thanks all

..we got it working, and now its behaving as it should.

Had to shut it off for a few minutes. I guess it needed to reset.

uuggg, new stuff,, new learning curve
dr5chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #8

My experience with the fridge is trust the automatic mode, but verify it..every time. I find that sometimes it doesn't switch correctly, and red light comes on. I cant pin down what causes it, but sometimes to get it from electric to propane, like when we are breaking camp, I have to shut it off and turn it on again. Not always!! Anyhow, just check it a few minutes after you have it set to be sure the light is still green.

We haven't had any problems with it since learning to double check it.

Happy trails!!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #9

I seen you on my electrical post so I figured I would ask you a question bout my fridge since I'm in this mess lol, fridge will work on LP but not electrical, board on the back of the fridge looks good and the fuse is good as well um haven't don't much from there but visual inspection. Ideas? remember mine took the 220v golt.
chief549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #10

If your refrigerator was turned on at any point when you were hooked up to that 220V service, that would have run 220V through the 110V electrical circuit on the refer control board: that would instantly destroy the circuit board, and possibly the heating element as well. My guess is the board may have burned out before the high voltage had a chance to destroy the heating element as well.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
Site Team

You can check continuity on the heating element and get a replacement board. Many suppliers, even Amazon.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #12

Nothing in the trailer was turned on which is good, front control area where switches r will let u select Auto/on and then when u do it flashes gas so then I select gas and the ignitor fires and the burner burns blows me mind lol I’ll shoot sole wores Tommorrow and update thanks for the info........

HWH Does the same thing
chief549 is offline   Reply With Quote