Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2020, 10:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
My consulting rate is $150 per hour. Or you can Google all you want on your own time. Or this is free....read the Norcold manual.
I can have my offshore team search that for you... at your going rate.

Real world: I have been to the summit of Mt Whitney twice. Those on the trip took turns carrying a propane cylinder we used to heat our meals. No, the base camp was not at the summit of 14,495FT USA but it was well above 11,000ft.

Don't tell me that Propane does not work above 5500 ft. It does work, but read more to understand that it will de-rate the capacity of the heat it produces at each 1k/ft. but don't tell other JOF members that their RV wont work above 5,500-ft if it is not true.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #22

You sir are a person who only sees what you want to see. You entered this thread asking for something with a good amount of chest pounding, which you got and then when on to say it wasn't what you asked for. Huh?? You remind me of my ex wife. Rely on hyperbole to make a point that wasn't made in the first place.

Reread my post and you'll see that I stated Propane doesn't burn well above 5500 feet. I didn't state that RV's using propane don't work above that elevation. However, there are enough posts on various forums plus this one.... that actually state the fact that enough people do have a problem keeping things working at altitude....such as the original post in this thread. You will admit that many who do boondock at high altitude hedge their bets with solar, generators, inverters and good old Coleman gas stoves...just because of what many call a suspenders and belt approach. You may not know any of these types, but they do exist.

What you are proving is what John Kenneth Galbreath once said: “Faced with a choice between changing one’s mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy with the proof.” Also known as OGD. Old Guy Disease.

You may have the final word.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:06 PM   #23

We have heard that norcold says to run on electric over 5500 feet. However, we live at 5600 and use propane to cool it down quickly. BTW you guys are getting pretty snooty. Maybe you should pull in your talons.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Maybe not...

When you operate the refrigerator on propane gas at altitudes higher than 5,500 feet above sea level:

You may experience reduced cooling performance of the refrigerator.
You may experience burner outages.
To avoid these possible problems, Norcold recommends that you operate the refrigerator on AC when at altitudes higher than 5500 feet above sea level.
This is exactly what the manual and service says when issue comes up. With our new rig we went on extended shake down trip into mountain states. While at Estes park for three weeks noticed same issue. Switched to electric and unit worked great. After much research on line I found where two service techs from mfg. stated you need to increase the distance between the electronic ignition and the gas. I took our unit apart and carefully bent the electrode to increase gap. Problem solved. Also works great still in lower elevations. Can’t remember exact gap size but do some looking and you will find articles. Simple fix. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #25

That's probably what I experience on occasion at high elevation

Good info, thanks
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #26

I live at 6955’ in elevation and camp ABOVE 8500’ regularly, I noticed the fridge did NOT work well when switched on auto when traveling But seemed to work a little better when on GAS. I initially thought it was the fridge being old (2007)until...

I added a quick connect on the camper to run the grill and an Overland Fire pit BOTH factory regulators were removed. I noticed neither worked great and started looking at the regulator the camper came with, I could NOT find any information regarding BTU’s. So I decided to just upgrade the regulator, to a true high BTU regulator.

I researched multiple regulators and decided on the Marsh Excel MEGR253H see link below, it’s rated at 350,000 BTU’s,comes with a 5 year warranty and great reviews. I installed it the same day it arrived, after leak testing the installation, I lit the stove top. The flame was noticeably stronger, more intense and appeared approximately 3/4 to 1” taller on the highest setting. I turned the fridge on autoset and waited 8 hours. The fridge was 11.5* colder on autoset and on the coldest setting. I now set the fridge on 3 instead of 5 regardless of elevation.

The next test was the grill, Nexgrill 2 burner tabletop grill. The grill previously got hot but not extreme burn the burnt food off the grates hot. Now, it gets hot enough to actually sear a steak! The final “test” was the Overland Fire pit, this is a propane fire pit that’s legal even during Stage III fire bans. The stock regulator and the original camper regulator both left much to be desired in both heat and flame size. The Marsh Excel MEGR253H has completely changed the Fire pit! It now has a flame that resembles an actual camp fire. The fire bounces around and easily reaches 12” + above the lava rocks and you don’t have to literally sit on the fire pit to feel the warmth. And it will actually cook a marshmallow like a real camp fire!

The regulator cost $47.20 and has completely changed how the propane run accessories run! I camped this weekend at 10,291’ and everything ran by propane ran perfectly and efficiently!!

I’m sure this new regulator greatly exceeds the needs of my small 5er. The high BTU rating probably compensates for the flow rate lost at these elevations. Honestly, I’d research your regulator for its BTU rating and look into a higher BTU rating or just replacing it...for under $50 it’s pennies considering what these things cost! Good luck!

MARSH EXCEL MEGR253H Marshall Excelsior Reg 2-Stage Auto Vert Bulk https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQFJ8LS..._BZ8aFb4E16FP7
Attached Thumbnails
C72805E8-2BDB-4A18-AB77-865B1F30189C.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #27

It looks like the one I had on my 88 Fleetwood that lasted till 2003 when the trailer was totaled in a grapefruit sized hailstorm.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #28
Tad

Well.... we are picking up the mg from an Authorized Norcold service center in a few hours. They said there is nothing we can do about it. Plug in to shore power or dont camp at high elevations. We are gonna be 116 degrees here today and we dont camp in Phoenix. We go to the mountains to get some relief. JAYCO IIS NO HELP... NORCOLD IS NO HELP! So we have a 2020 motorhome that we cant use the fridge. We only boondock so shore power is not an option. It does say in the manual that you may have issues above 5500 feet. Well who reads the manual on every appliance while you are shopping for an rv. Had we known we would have this issue we would have never bought this. I will try and fix this myself with all the suggestions I received on this forum. Thank you everyone for your help.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
JAYCO IIS NO HELP... NORCOLD IS NO HELP!. .
Your dealer should have advised you ahead of time if you told them what your plans were. There is article after article on the internet about high altitude camping as these issues are nothing new. The problems have existed for years, or at least over the 40 + that I've been RVing. There are things that MAY work as there are exceptions to the problem, so I wish you luck.

This article is 4 years old.

https://rvlife.com/altitudes-effects-on-rv/
Old 07-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
We only boondock so shore power is not an option.
Plan B: A small generator or solar and inverter since you only boondock.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Well.... we are picking up the mg from an Authorized Norcold service center in a few hours. They said there is nothing we can do about it. Plug in to shore power or dont camp at high elevations. We are gonna be 116 degrees here today and we dont camp in Phoenix. We go to the mountains to get some relief. JAYCO IIS NO HELP... NORCOLD IS NO HELP! So we have a 2020 motorhome that we cant use the fridge. We only boondock so shore power is not an option. It does say in the manual that you may have issues above 5500 feet. Well who reads the manual on every appliance while you are shopping for an rv. Had we known we would have this issue we would have never bought this. I will try and fix this myself with all the suggestions I received on this forum. Thank you everyone for your help.

Battled the one in our Seneca for 2 years, Jayco and Norcold no help. I teied every Hack, tip, trick and mod on the fridge and it got better but still freezer would not get over 18° and fridge would warm to 47° while driving on setting 9!. I finally gave up and installed a JC Refrigeration HVAC (compressor) unit in the Norcold 1210 to convert it to a residential style fridge...so far is working great headed out on the first trip with it. On setting 3 the fridge is at 31 and freezer is on 12 after being turned on for 4 hours. Now the DW doesnt have to worry about a fridge fire from the burner unit
Attached Thumbnails
1.png   index.png  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #32

Tad
Increase the gat at the igniter. Not that hard to take out. When bending metal part be careful to not put stress on the ceramic part. I used two needle nose pliers to hold only metal while bending. Just like you my unit was new and this has solved all issues. Do some searching but I believe the gap is 3mm. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #33

One other thing

Make sure your coach battery isn't to low, it will not light your fridge if it's low
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #34

I had this exact same problem, dealer couldn't find anything wrong (they're at ~5000 ft elevation), I found a fix on another forum, i.e., adjusting the igniter gap, did the adjustment, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Here's the link to my thread on it:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/refrigerator-propane-ignition-altitude-limit-resolved-58063.html
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #35

Keep a small battery operated fan both in fridge & outside turned toward coils... also try turning it off couple times a day for 1 minute... this solved my fins freezing up... adjust temperature... keep mine at 3-5
4468461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #36

Mr. Thompson, Your "BTW" comments totally express my feelings as well. Thanks.
TedsCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
One of the problems with RV refrigerators is that they don’t have any fans. The fins tend to frost over which causes cooling issues. There many battery powered fans available.
Found a great solution on this forum: a muffin fan -
Hard wired a Cooler Guys 40mm slow fan (finger guards optional), stuck it to back corner of our refrig ceiling with heavy duty velcro. Wired it to old coffee pot switch inside front of refrig and ran through existing wiring port to hot lead. Have very good reliable air circulation past fins and throughout refrig prn.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4468461 View Post
Keep a small battery operated fan both in fridge & outside turned toward coils... also try turning it off couple times a day for 1 minute... this solved my fins freezing up... adjust temperature... keep mine at 3-5
i added 2 small fans that clip right to the cooling fins. this solved most of my temp issues in the fridge. they are 12 volt and can be wired to the 12 v source in the fridge bay by feeding the supply wires through the drain line. its very simple and does the job. Also had the lighting problems at altitude. filled the propane tank even though it was just below 1/2. fixed the lighting problem. At altitude the pressure in your tank drops. if its below half you may have problems. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-and...AAAOSwMu5eXpye
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #39

Simple high school chemistry would tell you that atmospheric composition changes with altitude. Less O2, reduced combustion efficiency, and poor performance of stoves, fridges and furnaces.

But, then maybe you didn't listen to your teachers either, because they're not "authorities"

It seems unlikely that you're going to get any more offers of help around here, so call the manufacturers of your fridge and they will tell you the same, or are they not authoritative enough?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #40
Tad

. So I took to a Norcold Authorized service center. Again, told the same thing. They both said sorry about my luck!. I live in the Phoenix area so we dont camp in the desert when its 115 degrees. This is a 2020 Jayco Class C that they are saying we can't go above 5500 feet! I told them all that I can't accept that. The dealer that we bought it from said we owe them $149 for a diagnostic fee. I said not paying it. They said we will keep it on your account and will have to pay it next time in for a warranty job.. SO I called Genes RV and he came out and spent 20 minutes and fixed it right up We just got back from a week long trip at 9300 feet in White Mountains in AZ and it worked perfectly. He adjusted the igniter distance to propane and also the igniter was off to the side so he moved that in the proper position. If you need some more info let me know and I am sure I can have Gene explain in more detail to me.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote