Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

paint

I pooched a compartment door and ordered and installed a new one. It would be all 4 colors and swirly! The local shops can't make anything of the Sikkens-brand touch-up bottle codes and Precision Painting in Bremen, IN (OEM paint shop) hasn't returned a call. Anybody have experience procuring paint? I've contacted Jayco, but it's not their paint.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

Don’s paint and RV repair did 3 of mine on one side. Came out perfect. Didn’t even show them the bottles. There must be a way to get the paint codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

Most large automotive paint stores and many larger collision repair shops have a hand held scanner that is used to match paint, The area to be matched is "shot" in 3 or 4 places then the scanner is plugged into a computer. The computer then prints out a formula. I have used this method many times and always had excellent results.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Most large automotive paint stores and many larger collision repair shops have a hand held scanner that is used to match paint, The area to be matched is "shot" in 3 or 4 places then the scanner is plugged into a computer. The computer then prints out a formula. I have used this method many times and always had excellent results.
X2. I recently had to have a compartment door replaced and others repainted due to striking a road alligator (tire tread). I was all prepared with my paint codes but they said "thanks, but no thanks", unless I didn't want things to match! The shop explained that since my unit was built in 2014 it has faded somewhat, even if I can't see it. So they used the fancy scanner as described by Lolead and it matches perfectly. I can't tell the new from the old paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire carcass damage hinge closeup.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

paint

Thanks for the replies! No joy with the paint codes, so I'll have them scan them. One shop quoted $2983 to blend the painted door and adjacent side wall. Another quoted $1396 for the door paint only. I learned my lesson-no more dings. I'm a little concerned because California doesn't allow any automotive paint except water borne, so the touch-up may fade differently in the future. The touch-up samples smell solvent.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote