Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarrpm View Post
But I went from 2 hands on the wheel sawing back and forth having to constantly focus on the road and battle the rig to driving like a big SUV, arm on the arm rest, 2 fingers on the wheel and able to scan the gauges, "see" the road. OMG what a difference.
This is exactly what I experienced after replacing both sway bars and the Reflex steering stabilizer.

Before replacing the parts, I never knew which way the rig was going to take off when hitting a rut or truck passing. Constantly sawing and correcting just to keep it in the lane.

After upgrading/replacing those parts, it's two fingers on the wheel, consistent in it's reactions, now I'm sitting back enjoying the ride.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #22

I'm confused. I thought that the Jayco J Ride upgrade had a heavy duty sway bar. Is there even a heavier duty version? Also, is there no front sway bar at all?

My 2017 Greyhawk goes down the road very well. The problem I have is at slow speed when turning a corner. If there is a dip there the rig will dip way down on the side and then come back up. This can toss things around in back.

Anyone know the bar thickness of the upgraded sway bar?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I'm confused. I thought that the Jayco J Ride upgrade had a heavy duty sway bar. Is there even a heavier duty version? Also, is there no front sway bar at all?

My 2017 Greyhawk goes down the road very well. The problem I have is at slow speed when turning a corner. If there is a dip there the rig will dip way down on the side and then come back up. This can toss things around in back.

Anyone know the bar thickness of the upgraded sway bar?
There are two different J-Rides, standard and J-Ride Plus. Standard is on the Redhawks, Plus is on the Greyhawks. In the Plus package, Jayco installed the upgraded Helwig sway bar in the rear only.

On both rigs, there is the standard, hollow Ford OEM sway bar on the front, which works OK for the standard Econoline van (what the chassis was built for), but this undersized sway bar doesn't help when the box is built on the frame.

You're experiencing that "drop" because of the undersized sway bar in the front. Go look under your rig, the front sway bar is black with a yellow Ford OEM tag, the rear bar should be gray with black spots, if that's the upgraded bar. Upgrading both bars eliminates a lot of that drop and roll.

The pictures below will show you the difference between the Ford OEM and the Hellwig sway bars.
Attached Thumbnails
front sway.jpg   rear sway.jpg  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #24

Thank you so much for the clarification. Now I get to spend more time under my motor home than in it. Let's see, sway bars, leveling jack recall, helper spring measurement. All that plus I want to install the SeeLevel tank sensor kit.

Roughing it while camping! It used to be so much easier. I boondocked for many years in a Ford van with shag carpeting (yeah I'm that old), followed by a Beaver camper that had a separate bathroom (much better than my old port-a-potty), followed by a big Lance camper with generator. I thought it couldn't get any better.

All those years with my wife wanting me to upgrade. Finally gave in and bought my 2017 Greyhawk. The 4 door fridge made my eyes water and I no longer had rational thought.

With a brand new motor home I assumed I would be set and not have a bunch of maintenance to worry about. Boy was I wrong! I have done all repairs on my motor home since I don't want it sitting at the dealer for months. 28 problems I had to take care of.

I really like my Jayco and have been using it for a few days just about every month. 3 days of camping followed by days of minor fixes or improvements. Ain't this the life?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

With a brand new motor home I assumed I would be set and not have a bunch of maintenance to worry about. Boy was I wrong! I have done all repairs on my motor home since I don't want it sitting at the dealer for months. 28 problems I had to take care of.

I really like my Jayco and have been using it for a few days just about every month. 3 days of camping followed by days of minor fixes or improvements. Ain't this the life?
Camping and tinkering with hobbies... what could be better??

I agree with what you said about a new motor home. I brought mine home in February. So far, I've spent more hours WORKING on it, then SLEEPING in it...

As wifey says, "you just like to have projects to do". Every camping trip develops a new "to-do" list on it.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #26

Roadmaster sway control installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
There are two different J-Rides, standard and J-Ride Plus. Standard is on the Redhawks, Plus is on the Greyhawks. In the Plus package, Jayco installed the upgraded Helwig sway bar in the rear only.

On both rigs, there is the standard, hollow Ford OEM sway bar on the front, which works OK for the standard Econoline van (what the chassis was built for), but this undersized sway bar doesn't help when the box is built on the frame.

You're experiencing that "drop" because of the undersized sway bar in the front. Go look under your rig, the front sway bar is black with a yellow Ford OEM tag, the rear bar should be gray with black spots, if that's the upgraded bar. Upgrading both bars eliminates a lot of that drop and roll.

The pictures below will show you the difference between the Ford OEM and the Hellwig sway bars.

Here’s a close up of the difference between the Hellwig and the stock Ford front sway bars. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4209.jpg  
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Camping and tinkering with hobbies... what could be better??

...snip
This!

DW is constantly on me about my "tinkering" with the Motorhome. Some day it will be all tinkered out, but I can't imagine that. By that time, it'll be time to "upgrade" to something else!!

If I'm not tinkering on the Greyhawk, I'm tinkering on the YJ. If not that, then on my Grand Cherokee. If not that, then I would have to start doing more stuff around the house!! Fences need mending, walls need painting, stuff needs fixing... Frankly, I'd rather be out in the garage or driveway turning wrenches!

As much time as I've spent tinkering and maintaining my camper, I've still spent MUCH more time enjoying it. And everything I "tinker with" or repair or modify makes those experiences better. And I enjoy the tinkering despite the appearance to the contrary when certain expletives escape my lips while I'm working or discovering something else needs to be done!!

It's all part of the fun of owning one IMO...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

As much time as I've spent tinkering and maintaining my camper, I've still spent MUCH more time enjoying it. And everything I "tinker with" or repair or modify makes those experiences better. And I enjoy the tinkering despite the appearance to the contrary when certain expletives escape my lips while I'm working or discovering something else needs to be done!!

Ha..

I'm not quite there yet on the enjoyment time, being a new rig, but hopefully all these upgrades will give us that in the future.

I like having the chance to break out the tools and build/fix something. I'm currently in the process of building a new Tiny House on a trailer in my backyard, but I keep getting pulled off that project to do an upgrade or get the camper ready for the next trip.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This!

DW is constantly on me about my "tinkering" with the Motorhome. Some day it will be all tinkered out, but I can't imagine that. By that time, it'll be time to "upgrade" to something else!!

If I'm not tinkering on the Greyhawk, I'm tinkering on the YJ. If not that, then on my Grand Cherokee. If not that, then I would have to start doing more stuff around the house!! Fences need mending, walls need painting, stuff needs fixing... Frankly, I'd rather be out in the garage or driveway turning wrenches!

X2 brother !!
Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

So, we took two of the grandsons out for a day trip in the coach today, We were going to camp overnight yesterday, but we has strong storms, so I figured sitting trapped in the MH in the CG wouldn't be much fun, so we just made it a day trip with them.

Anyway, as we rolled down the road, wifey said "gee, this coach rides so nice". She knows I did some suspension work on it, but she doesn't know a sway bar from a roof rack.

Just another point of reference on how much of an improvement these sway bars makes.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #31

RetiredOne, Beware of such comments. She may have just shut down your "future upgrade" budget.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #32

Quote:
So, we took two of the grandsons out for a day trip in the coach today, We were going to camp overnight yesterday, but we has strong storms, so I figured sitting trapped in the MH in the CG wouldn't be much fun, so we just made it a day trip with them.

Anyway, as we rolled down the road, wifey said "gee, this coach rides so nice". She knows I did some suspension work on it, but she doesn't know a sway bar from a roof rack.

Just another point of reference on how much of an improvement these sway bars makes.

How about when you are parked without jacks. Does the upgraded sway bar reduce the rocking or bouncing of foot traffic in the coach??
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
RetiredOne, Beware of such comments. She may have just shut down your "future upgrade" budget.
Ha Ha

She has zero access (on purpose) to my Amazon account (and the credit card tied to it)... winning..

Actually, I got me a trophy. She knows nothing about electrical or mechanical items, so if I say something needs to be done, I get zero push back from her, even when I tell her I need a new tool to do the project. She just can't figure out why one guy needs so many different drills and power tools...
Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #34
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
How about when you are parked without jacks. Does the upgraded sway bar reduce the rocking or bouncing of foot traffic in the coach??
I don't have the jack option on my rig (thinking of possibly putting them on), so I use lego blocks to level. I've actually tried to rock the rig, and it definitely doesn't move as easy as before. Minimal bounce and rock when wifey is knocking around.

When I level, I notice I don't have to set the left side up as much as before to compensate for the cantilever of the slide when it goes out. Still trying to figure out the exact height to set the left side, but it's definitely less height, so I believe the sway bars are doing their thing.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #35

Quote:
I don't have the jack option on my rig (thinking of possibly putting them on), so I use lego blocks to level. I've actually tried to rock the rig, and it definitely doesn't move as easy as before. Minimal bounce and rock when wifey is knocking around.

When I level, I notice I don't have to set the left side up as much as before to compensate for the cantilever of the slide when it goes out. Still trying to figure out the exact height to set the left side, but it's definitely less height, so I believe the sway bars are doing their thing.

I was trying to avoid that upgrade but now I'm sold. I am still debating on adding the jacks but I am a firm believer in keeping things simple. If this sway bar improves my ride and keeps me from adding jacks I'm in!!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I was trying to avoid that upgrade but now I'm sold. I am still debating on adding the jacks but I am a firm believer in keeping things simple. If this sway bar improves my ride and keeps me from adding jacks I'm in!!

If you think the sway bar will eliminate the need for levelers, I’m afraid you will be disappointed. The two have entirely different functions. Yes, the sway bar is great on the road for handling, but will do nothing for you when parked, as far as making the coach level and/or stable.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:32 AM   #37

yes, loadmaster sway control bar stiffens the coach and does make a big difference,imo
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
If you think the sway bar will eliminate the need for levelers, I’m afraid you will be disappointed. The two have entirely different functions. Yes, the sway bar is great on the road for handling, but will do nothing for you when parked, as far as making the coach level and/or stable.
I was implying about the cantilever of the slide. I can normally get myself level enough, if not then I use blocks when I have to. Right now it takes a 2x12 just to bring back to level when using the slide. I was hoping to not require to use those blocks as often if I can get parked just right.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #39

I understand. It’s a possibility that it may help in that situation, however, the largest benefit will be the upgrade in the handling while on the road. Good luck in your quest !!
Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #40
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
I don't think that's accurate.

If the sway bar helps rolling and leaning when going down the road, it will do the same thing when the rig is sitting stationary too. It tightens up the roll affect either way.