Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2019, 04:47 AM   #61

we do not tow a toad, use enterprise and they are great. we did install both front and rear road master sway control bars and was a great improvement in control. dw now feels comfortable driving it. ours is a jayco class c 22j
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:00 PM   #62

To replace or not

Bought a 2021 redhawk 22c se two weeks ago. Driving it home (650 miles) was a white knuckle drive at best, turns out the big rigs go about 80 mph in Nevada. Nice sway, holy crap. So I crawled under and measured the rear sway bar, 1.25 inch bar. So I see road master offers a 1.5” bar for my Chevy, is it worth it swapping it out?? Not much size difference, but maybe stiffer metal? I know this is a older tread, but seemed the be one to post on.
Attached Thumbnails
09E553F3-2D27-4E44-9098-006D4F45344F.jpg   C9A8D724-394D-490B-B046-44C7EB04AF8C.jpg  
whowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:30 PM   #63

Hi I have a 2019 redhawk 29xk I put the road master swabar, Hillwig 7718 front, the 7180 on the rear and what a big change in handling. I got may roadmaster from amazon and the sway bars from summit racing. great investment
MB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #64

I did the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster front/rear sway bars, and an alignment. They all help, but the biggest bang for the buck was the steering stabilizer and alignment.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:49 AM   #65

i make it three
anf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #66

I took a 200 mile trip towing a toad after tightening the overload springs on the rear up to 3”. They were at 5”+. Made a big difference in the stability of the rear end. The back seemed to hold the road a lot better but the front is another issue.

Camper-Bob, When we get home I’m going to install a sway bar and steering stabilizer on the front. What I need to know is will the Helwig 7718 fit our 2021 30Z? Do you have a number on the Roadmasrer steering dampener? The sway bar measures .900” on the front from the factory. The steering dampener looks way to small too.
Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
I took a 200 mile trip towing a toad after tightening the overload springs on the rear up to 3”. They were at 5”+. Made a big difference in the stability of the rear end. The back seemed to hold the road a lot better but the front is another issue.
Hellwig recommends 2”.

Hellwig Recommendation

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #68

Quote:

Camper-Bob, When we get home I’m going to install a sway bar and steering stabilizer on the front. What I need to know is will the Helwig 7718 fit our 2021 30Z? Do you have a number on the Roadmasrer steering dampener? The sway bar measures .900” on the front from the factory. The steering dampener looks way to small too.
KEEP IN MIND: I'm running a 2018 Ford chassis. Your 2021 may be different because of the new engine. Don't know if any of the suspension components were changed, but etrailer.com/Hellwig/Roadmaster should be able to verify part numbers for you pretty easily.

The Hellwig is 7718. What is on your rig now is the Ford OEM "Standard" sway bar, and it's a waste of steel. On the install of the Hellwig part, pay attention to the passenger side mounting bracket to the frame. I and MANY others have stripped it out. So be CAREFUL.

I'm sorry, I don't have part numbers for the Roadmaster Reflex, but I purchased it from etrailer.com. Description is "Reflex Steering Stabilizer - Class C Ford/chevy". You'll also need the mounting brackets: "Custom Mounting Brackets for Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer". The Ford OEM steering damper (it is NOT a true stabilizer) is about as useless as the sway bar.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Hellwig recommends 2”.

Hellwig Recommendation
Ok. Thanks. I’ll try sucking it down a little more when we get home Saturday.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
KEEP IN MIND: I'm running a 2018 Ford chassis. Your 2021 may be different because of the new engine. Don't know if any of the suspension components were changed, but etrailer.com/Hellwig/Roadmaster should be able to verify part numbers for you pretty easily.

The Hellwig is 7718. What is on your rig now is the Ford OEM "Standard" sway bar, and it's a waste of steel. On the install of the Hellwig part, pay attention to the passenger side mounting bracket to the frame. I and MANY others have stripped it out. So be CAREFUL.

I'm sorry, I don't have part numbers for the Roadmaster Reflex, but I purchased it from etrailer.com. Description is "Reflex Steering Stabilizer - Class C Ford/chevy". You'll also need the mounting brackets: "Custom Mounting Brackets for Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer". The Ford OEM steering damper (it is NOT a true stabilizer) is about as useless as the sway bar.
Camper_Bob,
Thanks for the info. My shoulders are so darn sore right now after fighting this steering for a few hours I will definitely have to do something. Going to make a few calls and order some parts. Maybe they will be waiting for me when we get home, hopefully! As to the stripped part, be been a machinist and welder for the last 50 years. Maybe I can redesign the bracket so,it is more stable.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #71

I emailed Hellwig about the front stabilizer bar for the 2021 E450 chassis. They have not certified that the 7718 works on it yet.

I am hopeful they get around to doing that soon as I intend to replace the stock FOMOCO front sway bar. Unless I can’t b/c they haven’t made one yet.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I emailed Hellwig about the front stabilizer bar for the 2021 E450 chassis. They have not certified that the 7718 works on it yet.

I am hopeful they get around to doing that soon as I intend to replace the stock FOMOCO front sway bar. Unless I can’t b/c they haven’t made one yet.
Thanks for the info. I’m following close. I’m ready to get one and install it as well as the steering dampener.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #73

Quote:
Camper_Bob,
Thanks for the info. My shoulders are so darn sore right now after fighting this steering for a few hours I will definitely have to do something. Going to make a few calls and order some parts. Maybe they will be waiting for me when we get home, hopefully! As to the stripped part, be been a machinist and welder for the last 50 years. Maybe I can redesign the bracket so,it is more stable.
It's not the Hellwig bracket, it's the Ford parts. The rearmost bolt in the sway bar bracket, passenger side, is a self-tapper that goes directly into the frame. I didn't even crank on it hard, and it stripped out. There is a torque spec for that bolt, and it's pretty low. Per my recollection, at the moment it stripped, I wasn't even to the "snugging down" part of running the bolt in; I was carefully running the bolt in, and just about the time the bracket made contact and was getting ready to snug it down, I felt it strip. Never even made it to putting a torque wrench on.

A few different solutions for if/when it happens, but I'm sure given your experience, you'll be able to figure it out pretty easy. Personally, I used a riv-nut and a matching bolt. Drilled out the hole in the frame a little, mounted the riv-nut with a little JB Weld for good measure, waited for the JB to set, ran bolt home into riv-nut, done. Checked it last night, and still holding firm.

Some have put a nut inside the frame from the top, but I didn't see a good, easy way to access the top-side to hold a nut.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #74

Quote:
It's not the Hellwig bracket, it's the Ford parts. The rearmost bolt in the sway bar bracket, passenger side, is a self-tapper that goes directly into the frame. I didn't even crank on it hard, and it stripped out. There is a torque spec for that bolt, and it's pretty low. Per my recollection, at the moment it stripped, I wasn't even to the "snugging down" part of running the bolt in; I was carefully running the bolt in, and just about the time the bracket made contact and was getting ready to snug it down, I felt it strip. Never even made it to putting a torque wrench on.

A few different solutions for if/when it happens, but I'm sure given your experience, you'll be able to figure it out pretty easy. Personally, I used a riv-nut and a matching bolt. Drilled out the hole in the frame a little, mounted the riv-nut with a little JB Weld for good measure, waited for the JB to set, ran bolt home into riv-nut, done. Checked it last night, and still holding firm.

Some have put a nut inside the frame from the top, but I didn't see a good, easy way to access the top-side to hold a nut.

The same thing happened to me, but I chose to drill out the hole a little larger, tapped new threads into the frame and put another bolt in. It has been working just fine for a year or so, although I do keep checking on it just to be sure.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
The same thing happened to me, but I chose to drill out the hole a little larger, tapped new threads into the frame and put another bolt in. It has been working just fine for a year or so, although I do keep checking on it just to be sure.
I thought about threading it, but the frame wall isn't all that thick IMO, so I didn't feel like I could get enough threads cut for it to not happen again. Plus I don't have a tap & die set or any threading tools.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #76

I finally received my sway bar that I bought from Amazon. It is a Roadmaster model 1139-176. It is 1 3/8” diameter. The stock one I took off was 7/8” diameter. Perfect fit! Exact replacement for the factory one. We’ll see what that does.

I was talking to a friend of mine who builds monster trucks and he said bring it in and he would fix it. He has a BIG alignment machine. He wants to check the alignment and see where it is now and what he can do to fix it. He also said he can install hydraulic steering. Said you can be at a total stop and spin the wheel stop to stop with one finger. He’s installed them on other trucks with amazing results. Got an appointment for Friday so we’ll see what he can do. I do a lot of machine work for him building brackets, bushings and all sorts of parts so maybe we can work out a deal!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #77

Quote:
I thought about threading it, but the frame wall isn't all that thick IMO, so I didn't feel like I could get enough threads cut for it to not happen again. Plus I don't have a tap & die set or any threading tools.

Mine’s been working just fine. The problem we both had was tightening the original one too much. I learned with that one to not do it again. I just snugged it up and it’s all good !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #78

We all drive flat-side billboards [known as motorhomes] and any side wind will cause some sway no matter what we do to eliminate it.

After a lot of research, we installed a Roadmaster steering sway control. It made a lot of difference over the OEM Ford install. However, the side winds still require me to slow down, hug the right lane, and pay attention to passing traffic. It is no longer a white knuckle affair but it still requires my full attention.

Stay safe and drive no faster than you feel comfortable with when wind gusts are buffeting your home on wheels.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #79

Late last year I spoke with a service tech at hendersonslineup.com and asked about what I could do to stop the sway when trucks pass me or high side winds occur. The person I spoke with explained that the reason for this is that the rear axle has enough lateral play in it where if a truck is passing (on the left) that the entire rear of the RV along with the entire frame of the RV pushes away to the right due to the lateral movement (flex) of the rear axle on the leaf springs, which in turn causes the front wheels to point ever so slightly to the left, causing me to have to steer right to stay in my lane and as soon as wind from the passing truck reaches the front of my RV I have to steer back left to stay in my lane. In any case, the primary cause of this is the lateral movement of the rear axle and that a rear track bar would do me the most good in stopping this. I ordered the SS450 Super Steer track bar however due to several great reasons, I have yet to install it. I plan to do so prior to my Spring trips and will report back after I have tested it. I also purchased the stronger Hellwig stabilizers (front and rear) seeing I will be under there working anyway. I was told though that the heavier sway bars would help more with rocking action but not particularly helpful with the rear axle's lateral movement like what the track bar is designed for. ~CA
Old 04-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Late last year I spoke with a service tech at hendersonslineup.com and asked about what I could do to stop the sway when trucks pass me or high side winds occur. The person I spoke with explained that the reason for this is that the rear axle has enough lateral play in it where if a truck is passing (on the left) that the entire rear of the RV along with the entire frame of the RV pushes away to the right due to the lateral movement (flex) of the rear axle, which in turn causes the front wheels to point ever so slightly to the left, causing me to have to steer right to stay in my lane and as soon as wind from the passing truck reaches the front of my RV I have to steer back left to stay in my lane. In any case, the primary cause of this is the lateral movement of the rear axle and that a rear track bar would do me the most good in stopping this. I ordered the SS450 Super Steer track bar however due to several great reasons, I have yet to install it. I plan to do so prior to my Spring trips and will report back after I have tested it. I also purchased the stronger Hellwig stabilizers (front and rear) seeing I will be under there working anyway. I was told though that the heavier sway bars would help more with rocking action but not particularly helpful with the rear axle's lateral movement like what the track bar is designed for. ~CA
I very much look forward to your write-up and assessment of the track bar!! It's near the top of my mod list.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV