Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2020, 11:55 PM   #1

RV baggage door latch help

Ok I purchased some baggage door latches. Not sure how to attached them. I do not want to screw them on for sure What is the best tape to use? Also what is the best placement on the Motorhome top, side, or corner on the baggage doors to place?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200301-203218.jpg  
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:23 AM   #2

I got 1/4" wide 3M external double sided tape to use on mine and put them Center top, but it doesn't really make that much difference. I also used plastic ones.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:09 AM   #3

X2 on the 3M exterior double-sided tape. I used it 5 years ago to attach a rope light under my awning and it's still holding fast. It's pricey, but it works.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
I got 1/4" wide 3M external double sided tape to use on mine and put them Center top, but it doesn't really make that much difference. I also used plastic ones.
Thank you for the information.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
X2 on the 3M exterior double-sided tape. I used it 5 years ago to attach a rope light under my awning and it's still holding fast. It's pricey, but it works.
Thank you for your help.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #6

This is the stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I used magnets like this instead of the clip types:

This combo has been going strong on my rig for at least a year now? Maybe longer, I don't remember when I installed my first one.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is the stuff:

Also, I used magnets like this instead of the clip types:

This combo has been going strong on my rig for at least a year now? Maybe longer, I don't remember when I installed my first one.
Did you use 1 or 2 of those magnets on each door?
Old 03-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
Did you use 1 or 2 of those magnets on each door?
One on the door, one on the side of the coach.

I lined them up, taped one side to the door. Then laid the wall side magnet face down on the door side (face to face so the magnets were holding) put the tape on the exposed mounting surface for the wall side magnet, then opened the door all the way up and pressed hard on both magnets for a minute or so. This ensures that the magnets are lined up perfectly.

I have cases of those little individually packed alcohol pads like you use for first aid. That's what I used to prep each surface.

Sorry, reading over this, I think you may have asked if you need more than one set per door. No, the doors are light enough that one set (a magnet on the door and one on the wall) works just fine.

I have a few doors that are under slides, or that open onto appliance covers and whatnot. For those, I use hatchlift kits. My driver-side rear most compartment required 2x lifts, but all others should be fine with just one.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
One on the door, one on the side of the coach.

I lined them up, taped one side to the door. Then laid the wall side magnet face down on the door side (face to face so the magnets were holding) put the tape on the exposed mounting surface for the wall side magnet, then opened the door all the way up and pressed hard on both magnets for a minute or so. This ensures that the magnets are lined up perfectly.

I have cases of those little individually packed alcohol pads like you use for first aid. That's what I used to prep each surface.

Sorry, reading over this, I think you may have asked if you need more than one set per door. No, the doors are light enough that one set (a magnet on the door and one on the wall) works just fine.

I have a few doors that are under slides, or that open onto appliance covers and whatnot. For those, I use hatchlift kits. My driver-side rear most compartment required 2x lifts, but all others should be fine with just one.
Thank you for this information. I will look into this further then make a decision on what and how many to purchase of each.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I'm looking at this thread and thinking, where are these needed. I must have gotten lucky on my rig (or the engineers finally got smart), all my compartment doors open down or swing, so these would be unneeded. The only one that opens up is the genny door.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I'm looking at this thread and thinking, where are these needed. I must have gotten lucky on my rig (or the engineers finally got smart), all my compartment doors open down or swing, so these would be unneeded. The only one that opens up is the genny door.
You must be lucky mine all open up and nothing to keep them up but me. A big pain in the rear!!! You would think they would have done this on all class C motorhomes. Jayco was not thinking or was very cheap not to include them. Whichever I hate having to hold and try to get something out when I need 2 hands to pick and pull out.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
You must be lucky mine all open up and nothing to keep them up but me. A big pain in the rear!!! You would think they would have done this on all class C motorhomes. Jayco was not thinking or was very cheap not to include them. Whichever I hate having to hold and try to get something out when I need 2 hands to pick and pull out.
Yep, agree. The only side swing on mine are the battery and power cord cubbies. Everything else swings up.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Yeah, they figured it out eventually, but apparently AFTER my rig was built.

All my baggage doors open up except for the large one on the passenger side; it opens sideways.

No lift shocks installed on a single one. I installed Hatchlift kit on my most frequently used door (the one with the plumbing) pretty early in my ownership of the unit. I have another kit to install on my son's "toy" compartment but haven't had a chance yet. It opens up by the water heater, so I can't use a magnet there. I already used the magnetic latches on every door I could, the rest will either just stay the way they are or I'll use Hatchlift kits on them.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #14

Hatch lift kit is there a certain type to purchase? Any help would be great?
Old 03-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Hatch lift kit is there a certain type to purchase? Any help would be great?
It depends on the door. There's a measurement guide on their website. Go by the guide and you should be good to go.

If in doubt, call them or email them and ask. I emailed with a question and they were helpful. The guide says not to use on "slam latch" doors. Truthfully, so long as you don't try to "slam" the doors, you're fine. I'm actually pretty gentle on my doors, so I don't worry about it.

FWIW, pricing is pretty standard. I think I got one set from them direct and one set from Amazon, paid basically the same either place IIRC.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
It depends on the door. There's a measurement guide on their website. Go by the guide and you should be good to go.

If in doubt, call them or email them and ask. I emailed with a question and they were helpful. The guide says not to use on "slam latch" doors. Truthfully, so long as you don't try to "slam" the doors, you're fine. I'm actually pretty gentle on my doors, so I don't worry about it.

FWIW, pricing is pretty standard. I think I got one set from them direct and one set from Amazon, paid basically the same either place IIRC.
Thank I will take a look.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #17

Attached my clips with 3M VHB tape a couple of years ago and they are still holding strong. I recently had to remove one clip and had to pry the tape loose.

I use VHB tape for a lot of things and the stuff is great. I saw an episode of Modern Marvels on world's strongest things and VHB tape was shown. They have used that tape to attach outside window panels to high rise buildings. Strong stuff.

Can buy on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Attached my clips with 3M VHB tape a couple of years ago and they are still holding strong. I recently had to remove one clip and had to pry the tape loose.

I use VHB tape for a lot of things and the stuff is great. I saw an episode of Modern Marvels on world's strongest things and VHB tape was shown. They have used that tape to attach outside window panels to high rise buildings. Strong stuff.

Can buy on Amazon for a reasonable price.
Thank you will take a look.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Man, I feel sorry for you guys, and I can't believe Jayco did this to your compartment doors. My one largest door swings to the left (and the power access door too). All the other doors swing down, and even some of them have a support cable, that holds the door at a 90 degree angle. It makes kinda of a work surface after you open the compartment.

My only pain in the butt door is the one for the genny access, and I have to prop it on my head when checking it.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #20

Well, on the bright side, you have a proven use for your head ��