Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Water pump on or off?

Was wondering what others do...in the past we have always turned the water pump on and off as needed. Problem is the Greyhawks don't have a water pump switch in the bathroom so you have to remember to turn it on before going in the bath or no water. All our previous RV's have had a water pump switch in the bath. Come on Jayco!

I have pondered adding a water pump switch in the bath but for now we have just been leaving the pump on unless we leave the motorhome. Something else to try and remember!

When connected to city water this is a non issue but we still turn the water off at the city connection if we are leaving. Don't want to come back to a possible flood!

Just wondering how others roll with the pump or city connection. Thanks!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Was wondering what others do...in the past we have always turned the water pump on and off as needed. Problem is the Greyhawks don't have a water pump switch in the bathroom so you have to remember to turn it on before going in the bath or no water. All our previous RV's have had a water pump switch in the bath. Come on Jayco!

I have pondered adding a water pump switch in the bath but for now we have just been leaving the pump on unless we leave the motorhome. Something else to try and remember!

When connected to city water this is a non issue but we still turn the water off at the city connection if we are leaving. Don't want to come back to a possible flood!

Just wondering how others roll with the pump or city connection. Thanks!

I installed a switch in the bathroom of my GreyHawk. End of problem !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #3

Turning the switch off just as turning the city connection off while away is always good practice.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #4

I leave it on if we are at or around the camper. If we leave it gets shut off. With kids it would be way to difficult to do the on/off thing.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanthonyii View Post
I leave it on if we are at or around the camper. If we leave it gets shut off. With kids it would be way to difficult to do the on/off thing.
X2

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 AM   #6
Site Team

I turn the switch on when setting up camp and do not turn it off again until we are ready to break camp.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
In our 2015 Greyhawk, there was a water pump switch in the bathroom, but somewhere along the way they removed it from future models. A few of the changes over the years that make you go... hmmm!??!?
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

Ours stays on almost 100 percent of the time, unless we are hooked up to City water. I understand the concern and usually will turn off City water pressure if gone. However, we never turned of our house water when leaving the house, unless we were going to be gone for more than a couple of days.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #9

Ours stays on the whole time we are camping.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

I thought the unit came with 3 switches in the bathroom, one for the light, one for the fan, and one that was unlabeled. Also, as an aside, what is the device in the living room right next to the thermostat? It looks like some sort of electronic gauge or something.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #11

My Grewhawk has a bathroom switch, we always turn pump off if we leave the RV and shut city water off if we have that hook up.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
I thought the unit came with 3 switches in the bathroom, one for the light, one for the fan, and one that was unlabeled. Also, as an aside, what is the device in the living room right next to the thermostat? It looks like some sort of electronic gauge or something.

That is your 30 amp energy management system. It regulates your 30 amp usage in conjunction with all of your appliances and electrical devices.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
That is your 30 amp energy management system. It regulates your 30 amp usage in conjunction with all of your appliances and electrical devices.
Thanks for your reply!

Can you give an example of how the energy management system works? You said it regulates 30 amp usage. I'm not sure what that means, so please give an illustration of what you mean.

Also, what are the three switches located in the bathroom used for?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #14

For us, the water pump stays on unless we lock the RV door (meaning we are going somewhere that warrants locking up). Pump off, lock door, leave. Return, unlock door, pump on.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #15

Most of the time we leave ours on, while at camp.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
The three switches in bathroom control the fan, the main light and the lights over the mirror. Sorry, no water pump switch in the newer Greyhawks.

That device on the living room wall controls your 30amp service. It keeps you from overloading the system and throwing a breaker. With 2 airs running and say you turn on the microwave this device will turn off one of the airs until enough power returns.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #17

Leave it on. It won't hurt anything.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #18

We turn our water pump off when we're going down the road. I just figure with the questionable plumbing (sorry) and the rigors of bouncing down the road, why not depressurize the system?

Once we make camp, we turn it on and leave it on. Nice to make the trailer as homey as possible.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #19

Quote:
The three switches in bathroom control the fan, the main light and the lights over the mirror. Sorry, no water pump switch in the newer Greyhawks.

That device on the living room wall controls your 30amp service. It keeps you from overloading the system and throwing a breaker. With 2 airs running and say you turn on the microwave this device will turn off one of the airs until enough power returns.
Oh, thanks!

So, I think there are three lights in the bathroom. Are you saying one bathroom switch controls the two lights next to the mirror and the other switch controls the remaining single center light? If so, that's pretty dumb. Guess we'll have to walk over to the switch on the control board.

But thanks again for the clarification (especially about the 30 amp service monitor).
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #20

Wow...you are way ahead of us....we just got our 29MV a little over a week ago and still working through all the features and nuances. So far, could not be more pleased with this rig...our first! One little find....our water pump switch was installed upside down...so, we thought it was OFF, but actually was on. OK..so now I figured that one out. Our first camp out with Good Sam friends on May 1-4 a local lake resort....looking forward to actually setting up and hanging out for our first outing. Thank you for your posts and comments...looks like we both are very happy with our decisions and looking forward to years of great times and new friends.
XLEO30 is offline   Reply With Quote