Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #41

I would recommend 50 amp service, and get the double pane windows. Never mind the second ac in bedroom. They are very loud and not necessary.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #42

Get the 2nd AC, and get it factory installed (much more cost effective) rather than dealer installed (much more expensive).
If you don’t get it you’ll be kicking yourself.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #43

Our new 31QBDS is the first unit we’ve purchased in over 20 years of campers that has 2 A/Cs. And while we have not had occasion to use the bedroom A/C in normal use, it served as capable backup when the main unit failed. So there’s that.

Just a note, our bedroom does have a duct from the main, I assume all new Jaycos have this feature. So while I am not convinced I NEED the second A/C, I would at least make sure that the unit is wired for 50amp to make it possible. If nothing else, the resale value of the second A/C will probably be worth the cost.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #44

It's only 800 bucks for the second AC, why even debate it?? Lol That's a tiny amount compared to the whole trailer costs. Especially if you finance the buy.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #45

I just bought the 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS equipped the same way. If you don't have the fireplace (which comes w/50 amp) or 50 amp service, you can't add the additional AC unit. You'll never need it though. Our last Jayco Jayflight was 33' long with a 13.5k BTU single AC and it was like a refrigerator in 90 degree heat and high humidity. Yours has a 15k BTU unit. You'll be fine. If you opt for the fireplace, it'll already have the 50 amp service so if you feel you want it, thats up to you. What are they asking for that RLTS by you?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #46

Spent 12 years in a 32' Sunnybrook fiver with only one 15k A/C and 50Amp prep. At times thought about adding the second unit in the bedroom, but never did, but did use a portable oscillating fan in the bedroom. The one unit would get us to about 80-85 degrees when it was over 90 outside. Going through Kansas with 100+ degrees outside, it was unbearable. Don't expect more than about 10-15 difference on one unit. My new rig is 36' Eagle 321RSTS with 2 - 15k units. Have not really tested it yet but expect better comfort, especially when sleeping. Doing great in FL. This unit is better insulated than the 32 footer as well.
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #47

We have almost the exact trailer you are looking at (a 24.5 which is actually 29.5 feet long), and we love it!

Ours has the single 15k A/C unit, which is ducted to the bedroom area. You can close the ducts in the living room, and that directs much more air to the bedroom and bath in the evening, and that's been plenty.

Ours is prepped for the second A/C, with the 50 amp service. I'd never buy one with only the 30 amp, because you really are locked-in then. We used the prep in the bedroom area to have a Fantastic Fan installed in the bedroom, which we like very much too.

Our former 5th wheel was a 38.5 foot Big Horn, and we had two A/C's in it. We seldom used the one in the bedroom...other than to cool the trailer down when we first arrived at a campsite. It was really too noisy for sleeping under...at least for me. The duct work from the main A/C worked plenty well, even in July in Kansas (105 degrees).

If we decide that we're gonna full-time in the newer Eagle out in Texas or AZ, we might consider adding the second one. So far, it hasn't been needed. We'd sure get the low-profile version though. The FW is pretty tall up there where that second A/C would sit.

You will love that Eagle HT BTW. It pulls, and STOPS SO much easier than our old 38.5 foot FW. We loved the space in the Big Horn we had, and it was very well built, but it was a real hand-full in city traffic...especially in construction zones. After dealing with construction zones and really nasty drivers in some of the big cities, we decided we wanted something lighter and more maneuverable, and this Eagle HT is just the ticket.

Dave O.
daveobieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
Hi everyone.

We've been looking at Eagle HT's and have kind of settled on the 27.5RLTS. It's a small - 30' - rear living room trailer.

I see on the Jayco site it comes standard with 30 amp service, and I've seen several in the wild so-equipped, but I also see them with 50 amp service and 2nd A/C prep. Never having had a 5th wheel before I thought I would ask those who know if I would be happier with 2 air conditioners or will the one 15K unit be enough? We live in north Pennsylvania but it can be surprisingly hot here (I think - can't really remember warmth right now), and we'll travel this summer to warmer places. We keep our house at 68, or even lower all summer so that's about what is comfortable for us.

As a side question, has anyone forced their teenage daughter to sleep on the pull-out sofa, and if so how did that turn out?
I'm always a proponent to having an extra anything when I am traveling. Never known what kind of weather circumstances one will encounter. So, I would go with two air conditioners. Besides, the trailer will sell better with two A/C's
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #49

Ducted A/C does not have the airflow that the older direct discharge units have. Even in the west (California), when it gets close to or over a hundred degrees, the one unit will NOT cool the inside down. We had to add the second unit.
1300 bucks and the 5th wheel was factory prepped for it.
Newt5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #50

2nd A/c

A little off subject. We have a 38FLSA Pinnacle with the front living room factory ordered with 2-15K A/C units. We winter in AZ and and it was extremely hot in the upper living room. We have double pane windows as well. When it was 95 outside, we could only get down to 89 which was unbearable. There was one A/c in the bedroom (15K) and one in the Kitchen area. The ceiling in the bath and kitchen are around 9Ft which probably accounts for the crappy cooling.

We had a third 15K A/C installed in the front living room and it made all the difference in the world. It will now cool down to 75 in the living room. We can only run 2 A/C at a time due to the 50 Amp service but it made a heck of a difference.

I would recommend the 50 Amp service on your new trailer and a 2nd A/C on delivery.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #51

When we shopped...

It was a requirement as we live and do a lot of camping in AZ. With that being said, we have not had to use it since we bought it. Our master is not upstairs so this is a big factor for comfortability. I would not change our decision though. If you do it, don't forget a 50->30 adapter.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #52

Get a second A/C, one will not be enough especially in the summer if you camp in hotter climate
kimhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #53

We use the blank out of both our ac units. 35' (overall length) Eagle with two slides and dual pane windows. Camp in 90 to 100% humidity in PA. Set both thermostats to 70 and let them do their thing. The pair of them will pull down a 100* 95% humidity trailer in a hurry.

Our previous trailer a 30' single slide, with single 15k ac had troubles keeping up in July and August until late evening. Would also take many hours to pull down. And I ordered it with the 15k. 13.5k was standard.

Large units should have 3 ac units.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #54

Do not think you will be able to run both A/C units on 30 AMP ... would need to really cool down the living area then near bedtime, turn that off and turn on the BR unit. We have 2 units and, as one person said, it is very loud in the BR so we cool it down and turn it off. We use a small fan in the doorway to the BR to pull air from the living area (after we turn it back on) for night time sleeping. When we had a 30 amp rig we could not run a coffee pot, microwave and a/c at the same time... so with 30 you may have to turn off some items and use one or two at a time. Although we have a friend who is an electrician...he told us to get a 50 amp adapter... said when you plug into a 30 amp you don't get a full 30 ... to use the 50 amp adapter and plug into 50 amp with your 30 amp rig...will give you a full 30 and won't allow more than 30 into the rig. It worked well doing that.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #55

My Eagle HT has the 2nd AC and I am glad we got it. If you are alone you can run the bedroom 2nd AC while leaving the main AC off, keeping the door closed and it runs the 2nd AC very little. If you have to run the single AC it has to keep the whole trailer cool and will run a lot more. It doesn't cost you any more if it runs a lot but it does shorten its life. If your in the south where I live and it's in the 90's and the humidity is in the 90's that second AC is really nice to have. If your looking to buy new get all the options. 2nd AC, Auto Level, 16" tires, and tankless water heater, these are great options I have learned to love.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #56

We live in northern Illinois. We have a 28.5, we only have 1 ac, 1 thing for sure even on the hottest day the bedroom is comfortable, the vents are in you face. As far as the rest of the coach it cools when in low 90’s in partial shade. We had it west in the mid to upper 90’s with no shade. The living room was a little warm, we were ok. The main AC is so quiet do to the design. We love the electric fireplace, that gave us 50 amps. If you tow with 4x4, get the 16” tire option you won’t regret it
Rgrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
Hi everyone.

We've been looking at Eagle HT's and have kind of settled on the 27.5RLTS. It's a small - 30' - rear living room trailer.

I see on the Jayco site it comes standard with 30 amp service, and I've seen several in the wild so-equipped, but I also see them with 50 amp service and 2nd A/C prep. Never having had a 5th wheel before I thought I would ask those who know if I would be happier with 2 air conditioners or will the one 15K unit be enough? We live in north Pennsylvania but it can be surprisingly hot here (I think - can't really remember warmth right now), and we'll travel this summer to warmer places. We keep our house at 68, or even lower all summer so that's about what is comfortable for us.

As a side question, has anyone forced their teenage daughter to sleep on the pull-out sofa, and if so how did that turn out?
Be sure when buying a Jayco that if you do get a second AC that it is positioned in the room so one can easily get to the controls. Mine was put in backwards. Also if you have a black tank washout connection that it is on the same side of the trailer as the black and gray water valves. They had mine on the opposite side and I had to move it, which was easy.
One thing I don't like about my Jayco is I have to close the small slide to get to the valves for the black and grey water. It could have been designed better. In the south we use AC a lot, but really don't need the second AC. It is too much trouble to climb in the bed then get on the knees to be able to see the controls. One AC is usually enough.
50 AMp service is good when running extra electric heaters. Have a volt meter attached to watch the draw so you can cut off before blow a circuit.

Youngsters sleep where they want to as long as they don't bother us.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #58

In July of 2017 we purchased a 2018 28.5RSTS. Like you we debated whether to get the 2nd AC or not. We opted to get the 50 amp wiring so a 2nd AC could be added. Used it in 2017 and realized right away we should have just ordered the 2nd AC from the factory. This August I ordered a 15,000 BTU low profile unit for about $1,050 (with the needed shroud). I bought a digital thermostat and installed the unit myself. It would have been a LOT easier to just have the factory or dealer install the 2nd AC. I did get a general 'about how much' quote from the dealer before ordering the unit and they said about $1,500.

As someone pointed out the bedroom AC is noisy but we don't run that one at night. In fact with 2 ACs you have a few options. During the day if it really hot we run both. If it isn't hot enough to run both ACs we run only the bedroom unit because it stays quiet in the living area. At night we run the main AC in the living area and not the bedroom unit. Bottom line for me is get a second AC one way or another!

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #59

Original poster here. Ordered a new Eagle HT yesterday, has the 2nd AC9
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #60
SGT

I have the same Eagle HT in the 2015 year model with the chocolate brown end cap. Absolutely love the trailer but I wish we had the second A/C. Most of our summer camping is here on the Gulf Coast and we can make do most of the time if we get a shady site. There have been times when the second A/C would have been most welcome when we were in the blazing sun. Just having the 50 amp. wiring would be even more beneficial as the 30 amp. is too weak for this trailer when the DW is in hair fixing mode (don't worry, she never reads my posts).

SGT, RLT & Lacy the Shih Tzu
2015 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2006 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4 x 4 - 5.4 Triton
Pullrite Superglide

Keep calm & pull a Jayco.
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote