Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

Question on 30.5MBOK towed by 2017 f-350

Q- anyone here have a new 2017 f-350 towing a Jayco HT fifth wheel? The height of new f-350s seems to have changed and may cause an issue with setup. We are about to place an order for the 2018 30.5MBOK and wondering if anyone else has the same set up and has or has not encountered any issues. The tail gate height 61”, bed height above axel is 59”.....Jayco dealer measured a unit under the overhang to be 59.5”. How are people getting these numbers to work, probably never going to tow level? Dealer also stated moving a shackle bolt on the eagle ht will add about 1.5” to trailer height. Any help is appreciated!
Diamond8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond8s View Post
Q- anyone here have a new 2017 f-350 towing a Jayco HT fifth wheel? The height of new f-350s seems to have changed and may cause an issue with setup. We are about to place an order for the 2018 30.5MBOK and wondering if anyone else has the same set up and has or has not encountered any issues. The tail gate height 61”, bed height above axel is 59”.....Jayco dealer measured a unit under the overhang to be 59.5”. How are people getting these numbers to work, probably never going to tow level? Dealer also stated moving a shackle bolt on the eagle ht will add about 1.5” to trailer height. Any help is appreciated!
I have a 2017 F250 with a height of 59.5 inches ground to top of bed rail and tow a 2018 28.5RSTS Eagle HT. I have 5-5 1/2 inch clearance from the bed rail to the bottom of the FW and sit 1 1/2 inches high from level. We'll call that almost level. The FW has 16" Goodyears, Mor/Ryde 3000, and the shackle bolt was moved. We have no problems turning tight (it's a 110 degree angle to back into my driveway) from a narrow gravel road. No issues for us.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I’m glad it’s worked out for you and hopeful we can set it up no problem as well!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
I am towing my 2018 29.5BHOk with a 2017 F350 with the factory 20 inch wheels. I got the 16 inch wheels on my eagle and I am a bit nose high but I can live with it. In the pictures on my registry you can see how it sits(the one in the mountains the truck is sitting on a slight downward slope). Since the pictures were taken I have lowered the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch that I use one hole. So it is around an inch lower in the front now. Going from memory I have around 5 inches to 6 inches of clearance between the top of the bed and the trailer. I am 99.9 percent sure I am in the bottom shackle location. I don't know if 16 inch wheels will even fit if you are in the top location. I could be wrong but I think if you get the 16 inch upgrade it will come in the lower position. Or maybe that is just how the assembler was feeling the day they built my trailer.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the heads up. We have the same trailer on order with the 16 inch wheels and we’ll also be installing the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. Let me know if you have any other tips or recommendations on setup and adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceOnFire View Post
Thanks for the heads up. We have the same trailer on order with the 16 inch wheels and we’ll also be installing the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. Let me know if you have any other tips or recommendations on setup and adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I picked up the 5th wheel I had the dealer install the aluminum funnel block for the Andersen Ultimate in the reversed position. This moves the back of the truck closer to the trailer, and eliminates the risk that on some trailers the pin box can come in contact with the top of the bed rails in very tight turns.

With the funnel reversed I need to lower the tailgate, back in a few inches short of where I need to be, go back and close the tailgate, and back up the last few inches to position the ball over the funnel. If the truck and trailer are inline you can still lower the tailgate but only have maybe an inch or so between the lowered tailgate and the 5th wheel.

When I have time I plan on switching the adapter to the forward position and see how it looks in tight turns. I just haven't got around to it yet.

I have a early build 2018 with the MORryde cushion pin box. From what I seen online it looks like now they have a new pin box available. The MORryde Orbital Pin box. I have no idea about how it will, or if it will work with the Andersen. I know on the Reese Revolution that they use to offer, you had to lock out the rotating function.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

Also put some kind of mat or bed rug between the bottom of the Andersen and truck bed. I towed around 1500 miles without one and there was one spot where the factory spray in bed liner started to rub a little. I followed all the proper torque procedures but the factory liner is kinda slippery and the bottom of the Andersen is also slick.

I knew I needed one before towing but I got a call from my dealer saying be here in two days to pick it up, or you will need to wait a week longer. So an hour later I was in the truck starting the 1500 mile drive to pick it up, so no time to get the mat under the hitch. The rubbed area was about the size of a dime, and didn't get to the paint so not that big of a deal. I cut up the old rubber bed mat from my old 2011 F250 to go under the hitch.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

Unfortunately, my dealership does not sell the Andersen Hitch, so I will be doing that myself. I don't have 5th wheel prep on my truck, so I will be installing the rail version. I am not sure if the hitch rubbing against the spray in bed liner pertains to my situation.

I opted to get the Orbital Pin box with my build, and I did confirm with MorRyde I shouldn't have any issues with the Andersen hitch. I read about reversing the funnel to assist with clearance, so I will definitely be trying that out. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Thank you so much. Pictures were super helpful. We ordered the 30.5mbok. The only option my husband didn’t get was the dual propane. I’m concerned that was a bad move. We never go through a lot of propane and he’s telling me he could always add another tank later. Any advice? Maybe I could call dealer and add it but it was an $800 option.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank you so much. Pictures were super helpful. We ordered the 30.5mbok. The only option my husband didn’t get was the dual propane. I’m concerned that was a bad move. We never go through a lot of propane and he’s telling me he could always add another tank later. Any advice? Maybe I could call dealer and add it but it was an $800 option.
I think when you are saying dual propane you mean the dry camping package? I believe that gives you the generator prep and two 40 pound propane tanks vs two 30 pound tanks. That is about the only option I didn't get also because I didn't like the idea of a propane generator. I would rather have a portable generator that can burn regular gas.

On my 29.5BHOK there are two 30 pound propane tanks on the drivers side. There is also a door on the passenger side that I could fit another propane tank if I wanted. There are no hoses in there for me but I could store one there if I wanted. It is the taller door towards the front passenger side that has a built in vent on it. The 30.5MBOK seems to have the same door.

Here is a picture I found on the internet that shows what my propane on the driver's side looks like. This is a picture of a 30.5MBOK but it is the same on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
rv propane.jpg  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Yes the dry camping package. We usually order the rvs loaded with every option so when he told me he didn’t order it I worried about the resale. As long as it’s not a big deal I guess the $800 saved will pay for that week at Fort Wilderness ��.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #12

Morryde Orbital Hitch

Getting ready to order a 30.5MBOK and wondering if any of you can give me any feedback on the optional Morryde Orbital hitch. Are you happy with it and do you really have peace of mind with it on a short bed truck and "hitting the cab" on tight turn issues? Didn't really want to install a super heavy sliding hitch!! Will be towing with a 2016 F250. Thanks
FlaFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

I’d also like to get some feedback. We ordered our 29.5BHOK with the orbital pinbox since the rubber pin box and Reese Revolution was no longer an option and we also have a short bed. We plan to use the Andersen 5th wheel hitch which means we’ll have to lock the pinbox from rotating, but at least we’ll have an option to switch out to a standard non-sliding hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #14

We ordered the 30.5MBOK in the beginning of January with the orbital pin box for a 2017 F350 with 6 3/4' bed. As an engineer I have to know everything so I did allot of hitch research. Here are a few notes:
1) I picked the Reese Titan 20K with manual slider. If the orbital pin box is not enough I will have the option to use the manual slider. I suspect it will probably never get used but I am conservative and plan for the worst case. (Total hitch weight breaks down as: 67lbs universal mounting rail kit, 68lbs for manual slider and 134lbs for 20K hitch head. These are the actual box shipping weights from UPS)
2) I did contact Morryde and they are shipping these hitches now with a universal wedge kit. The Wedge kit is what is used to stop the pin box from pivoting in the fifth wheel head, allowing it to pivot at the connection of the trailer. The diagram they send me lists the following hitch's that are supported by the universal wedge kit; Exact typing from the manual states "Reese/Draw-tite/Hidden Hitch Signature Series and Select Plus, Reese Titan 16k and 20k, B&W and similar style 5th wheel hitch heads." They are working on the custom wedge kits for each hitch manufacturer but they are not available yet. I will be watching for the release dates for the custom wedges as they are will always be the better option.
3) Do your research on the Anderson hitch in detail! I do not think you can use the orbiting feature of the pin Box with the Anderson hitches as their mounting frame is not designed to support the twisting that an orbiting pin box creates. I believe you will find that in their literature but I do not recall exactly where I read it.

Hope this helps, good luck with the new purchase!
FordandJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #15

I have a 2017 F-350 with 18” wheels and the 2018 30.5MBOK with the upgraded 16” wheels and it sits pretty level with no adjustments. I have a picture in a separate post on the review of the 30.5. We’ve got the Reese Revolution with a B&W hitch.

Also, we did get the dry camping package just in the event that one day we might want a generator. But in my experience, the two standard propane bottles are way more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #16

Just ordered a 30.5 mbok today too. It will come with the orbital pin box and 16” tires. I also have a 2016 F250. I’ve not been able to find any video yet on the orbital hitch.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
Just ordered a 30.5 mbok today too. It will come with the orbital pin box and 16” tires. I also have a 2016 F250. I’ve not been able to find any video yet on the orbital hitch.
You'll have the same setup as us. Is your 250 a diesel shortbed like ours? I wasn't able to find any videos & very little info on the orbital hitch. Decided to go with the standard pin box & Andersen hitch so I guess we'll see when it comes in.
FlaFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #18

I have the 6.7 diesel Lariat, Reese 16k hitch. Will be trading in a 31.5 rlts.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #19

2017 F350 with 2018 MBOK 30.5

I have the exact setup you're talking about, a 2017 F350 with a 2018 30.5MBOK. I took this picture the day I picked it up from the dealer. The truck sits pretty level while hitched, even with its max payload of 4128 pounds. The truck bed sits very high without the trailer. I'd say 3 to 4 inches of sag with the Jayco hitched. The overload springs still do not make contact with this weight, though.

The trailer on the other hand will need to be lowered, as you can see. I kept the hitch high because I have a steep incline to my driveway and wanted to be sure the truck bed did not touch the trailer overhang. I even had the dealer lower the king pin box even more just as a precaution.

I think you'll get your rig pretty level just with the trailer weight alone. These new F350s sag a lot with weight. I know the Ram 3500 sags less with its rear coil springs versus the Ford leaf springs. The sag is kind of annoying, actually. I fear what it will look like at max payload.
Attached Thumbnails
truckntrailer1.JPG   truckntrailer4.JPG   truckntrailer5.JPG  
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #20

To member @FlaFF

I have the Morryde pin box. It's very nice on the highway with bumps. I do have a slider hitch, but as you can see, even when in driving mode (slid forward), there's decent turning clearance on my 2017 shorty. Watch out for inclines, though, as the truck will tend to go upwards toward the overhang on curbs.

Nice thing about the slider hitch is that you can back into the king pin without getting out to close the tale gate. In forward slider position, I would hit the trailer with the tale gate before kingpin contact.
Attached Thumbnails
truckntrailer5.JPG  
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote