Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
Hi.
First post. I am wondering if there are any owners of the 357mdok? That has picked up their new 5ver. As my sig says I just bought mine and have to wait until May 10 to pick mine up.

If anyone does, how did the PDI go and have you camped yet?
We love this floor plan, but have not purchased it. Did you see one in person? If so, can you confirm that the outside kitchen sink drains into a holding tank? Seen far to many of these mid bunks with "outdoor kitchens" with sinks that drain onto the ground for my comfort.

Is your 3500 a dualie?
dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawken View Post
We love this floor plan, but have not purchased it. Did you see one in person? If so, can you confirm that the outside kitchen sink drains into a holding tank? Seen far to many of these mid bunks with "outdoor kitchens" with sinks that drain onto the ground for my comfort.

Is your 3500 a dualie?
While we were waiting on our 355mbqs to be delivered, a 357 came in at the dealership and they called us to come see it. They wanted to charge us an additional $2500 for this unit. We liked it but not $2500 worth. Also, that model lacked the "coffee nook" that we're used to having, the entrance to the bunkroom was on the side where the coffee nook used to be, and the recliners were on the opposite side of the room to accommodate the outside kitchen. I can't face that way. It's the opposite direction of what I'm used to.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #23

I have been having a 355 since last July and have not been disappointed yet. Yes I had a couple of issues but I love the unit so much that I’m still not disappointed. The room the comfort the luxury it’s everything I’ve needed. I did some mods on my own. I moved the refrigerator out of the small outdoor kitchen and put it in the basement. Installed a ceiling mounted TV bracket that folds down. Now I have outdoor tv. The only problem I am having with the exterior of this unit is the front cap is starting to fade. Jayco said they will be taking care of that so no troubles there.
easevado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #24

Quote:

Is your 3500 a dualie?

Hi,
Yes we saw the one we ordered in person. I assumed that the outdoor kitchens drain was plumbed into the second grey tank. Did not really ask the dealer as the ones we saw that did not have a drain, were just a bowl you had to manually empty. I will say that I would be disappointed if it were not plumbed.

Maybe the other 355MBQS owners can answer that as it should be the same.

My 3500 is a not a dually, numbers are fine. We shall see if it squats enough to need the airbags, I think it is very likely.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by easevado View Post
I have been having a 355 since last July and have not been disappointed yet. Yes I had a couple of issues but I love the unit so much that I’m still not disappointed. The room the comfort the luxury it’s everything I’ve needed. I did some mods on my own. I moved the refrigerator out of the small outdoor kitchen and put it in the basement. Installed a ceiling mounted TV bracket that folds down. Now I have outdoor tv. The only problem I am having with the exterior of this unit is the front cap is starting to fade. Jayco said they will be taking care of that so no troubles there.

Thanks for the reply. The reasons you are loving yours is why we liked the Jaycos more that the similarly priced competitors.

Ours has the slightly larger outdoor fridge with the TV in the outdoor kitchen, just saying this because your mods seem to be done on mine.

I am like a little kid before Christmas, cannot wait.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
While we were waiting on our 355mbqs to be delivered, a 357 came in at the dealership and they called us to come see it. They wanted to charge us an additional $2500 for this unit. We liked it but not $2500 worth. Also, that model lacked the "coffee nook" that we're used to having, the entrance to the bunkroom was on the side where the coffee nook used to be, and the recliners were on the opposite side of the room to accommodate the outside kitchen. I can't face that way. It's the opposite direction of what I'm used to.

I can see where the extra money is, with the bigger fridge and actual outdoor kitchen. My wife actually liked the model you bought better, because of more storage in the kitchen and the coffee nook. I am not sure why they changed that door to the midbunk into the kitchen. I am thinking the measurement of the theaterseats vs the TV and fireplace moved the kitchen over some?

I wanted the outdoor kitchen so much my wife compromised for the 357mdok. I hope she does not regret that decision, I will find out when we are moving things into the new camper. Our old TT has a surprising amount of storage in the kitchen. If this 42’ 5th wheel has less kitchen storage space, I will hear it.

Since this is my first 5th wheel, I am not set in any specific sitting direction. Actually I thought this was your first 5th wheel also? I actually like sitting while facing the door. You may think it odd, but I like seeing who walks in.

How is your maiden trip going so far?
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:44 AM   #27

Quote:
I can see where the extra money is, with the bigger fridge and actual outdoor kitchen. My wife actually liked the model you bought better, because of more storage in the kitchen and the coffee nook. I am not sure why they changed that door to the midbunk into the kitchen. I am thinking the measurement of the theaterseats vs the TV and fireplace moved the kitchen over some?

I wanted the outdoor kitchen so much my wife compromised for the 357mdok. I hope she does not regret that decision, I will find out when we are moving things into the new camper. Our old TT has a surprising amount of storage in the kitchen. If this 42’ 5th wheel has less kitchen storage space, I will hear it.

Since this is my first 5th wheel, I am not set in any specific sitting direction. Actually I thought this was your first 5th wheel also? I actually like sitting while facing the door. You may think it odd, but I like seeing who walks in.

How is your maiden trip going so far?
LOL, yes it's our first fifth wheel but we traded in an Open Range TT with this similar floor plan. Sitting that way I can see who's walking up to the trailer before touching the door, lol. Our weekend trip went fine. Just a couple days a couple hours away. Everything went well except when I opened awning #2. Had it halfway out and realized one arm was stuck. Then it unstuck itself and jutted out into place. Hopefully it didn't hurt anything. I'm doing everything slow setting up and packing up so I don't forget anything. Starting checklists to cover things. We love the unit. Glad we spent so much time searching for what we think is the right one. Really wanted a Grand Design but there were some tradeoffs. Happy with the Jayco and our dealership just five miles away, Crestview RV in Selma, TX. (shoutout,lol). If you're gonna be dealing with squat on your 357, not sure if you're familiar with Timbrens. They're like big marshmallows above the axle and below the frame. Maintenance free and easy to install. We like them so far.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #28

I was rambling on in my post and forgot to add my main point☹️. If the 357 would have been an option at the time I purchased mine it would have been a hard choice to make. I really do like the interior set up on the 355 because of that door placement for the small room. It does leave more counterspace in the kitchen. I also like the fact that do you have a little bigger living room area because of the outdoor kitchen on a 357. With that being said the outdoor kitchen on a 357 is a game changer. As always when purchasing a trailer there is give and take and the outdoor kitchen would have made that a hard decision
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #29

Quote:
LOL, yes it's our first fifth wheel but we traded in an Open Range TT with this similar floor plan. Sitting that way I can see who's walking up to the trailer before touching the door, lol. Our weekend trip went fine. Just a couple days a couple hours away. Everything went well except when I opened awning #2. Had it halfway out and realized one arm was stuck. Then it unstuck itself and jutted out into place. Hopefully it didn't hurt anything. I'm doing everything slow setting up and packing up so I don't forget anything. Starting checklists to cover things. We love the unit. Glad we spent so much time searching for what we think is the right one. Really wanted a Grand Design but there were some tradeoffs. Happy with the Jayco and our dealership just five miles away, Crestview RV in Selma, TX. (shoutout,lol). If you're gonna be dealing with squat on your 357, not sure if you're familiar with Timbrens. They're like big marshmallows above the axle and below the frame. Maintenance free and easy to install. We like them so far.

I guess you are right, you can just look right and out the window to see who’s coming. We looked at TTs as our next upgrade, but the floor plans we like were 38ft long. I told my wife if we wanted something that long, we are getting a fifth wheel. This of course meant a new truck which was one of the hard parts.

Have not heard of the timbrens as an alternative to air bags. I saw it on your sig, but thought they just a brand of airbags. I will look them up, thanks.

We also liked the Grand Design midbunk, they were very nice but I seem to remember the prices where very nice too. I have seen so many but I seem to remember the outdoor kitchen was not as nice either or not existent in some we say.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 04-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #30

Quote:
I was rambling on in my post and forgot to add my main point[emoji3525]. If the 357 would have been an option at the time I purchased mine it would have been a hard choice to make. I really do like the interior set up on the 355 because of that door placement for the small room. It does leave more counterspace in the kitchen. I also like the fact that do you have a little bigger living room area because of the outdoor kitchen on a 357. With that being said the outdoor kitchen on a 357 is a game changer. As always when purchasing a trailer there is give and take and the outdoor kitchen would have made that a hard decision

Awesome, yup the outdoor kitchen was my big want. As stated before my wife does miss the kitchen.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #31

Quote:
I guess you are right, you can just look right and out the window to see who’s coming. We looked at TTs as our next upgrade, but the floor plans we like were 38ft long. I told my wife if we wanted something that long, we are getting a fifth wheel. This of course meant a new truck which was one of the hard parts.

Have not heard of the timbrens as an alternative to air bags. I saw it on your sig, but thought they just a brand of airbags. I will look them up, thanks.

We also liked the Grand Design midbunk, they were very nice but I seem to remember the prices where very nice too. I have seen so many but I seem to remember the outdoor kitchen was not as nice either or not existent in some we say.
The sink was a must for me for the longest time until I gave up. We have the outside grill and fridge, just no sink but have the hose hookup right by the grill. Not the same but still...The Chapperall had a real nice outside kitchen with a 50" tv, lol. Overkill. Gotta say we're pretty happy with the Jayco. We go to Kansas City next weekend so that'll be the real test.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #32

Quote:
The sink was a must for me for the longest time until I gave up. We have the outside grill and fridge, just no sink but have the hose hookup right by the grill. Not the same but still...The Chapperall had a real nice outside kitchen with a 50" tv, lol. Overkill. Gotta say we're pretty happy with the Jayco. We go to Kansas City next weekend so that'll be the real test.

Right, they put the sink were your kitchen is on my model. I would like to change the outdoor grill to a stove. I only grill with charcoal and would prefer the stove to compliment my grill. We shall see if I can.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 04-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Right, they put the sink were your kitchen is on my model. I would like to change the outdoor grill to a stove. I only grill with charcoal and would prefer the stove to compliment my grill. We shall see if I can.
The outdoor kitchen is now a must have for my wife (and i would be hard pressed to give it up as well really). It must have the larger fridge and sink. Most of the initial mid bunks that had anything outside had a small fridge and shelf mid-ship, but nothing like what you get on a "regular" outside kitchen. Some manufacturers finally started adding a sink, some on a pull out shelf, but lots didn't even drain into a holding tank. Like really?

Finally starting to see a few mid bunks with a real rear outside kitchen. As others have stated, it affects the interior space of the living room, or at least the feel of it, as well as the panoramic curb side view I really want, but you gotta make some trade offs. For some reason, there's a couple manufacturers that are removing the sinks from their outside kitchens - what's up with that? Not sure who's voting for that in market research!

They are also putting in these stove top things - i've never used them but would almost prefer another storage drawer than have those things. What do people use them for?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #34

I’m with you on the grill being replaced with a stove. Which one of us master griller‘s have never fly had a barbecue pit up once or twice. I do not see me ever grilling next to my camper.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #35

If you look under the back bumper you will see a Nother gas connection there
Old 04-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #36

Quote:
If you look under the back bumper you will see a Nother gas connection there
I've used the gas connection on my current trailer quite a bit for days we just want a quick bbq or whatever. I would much rather do that than waste storage space on whatever is in these outdoor kitchen drawers.

I guess its the packing/storing of another bbq grill that makes these things advantageous?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #37

As stated earlier, we really love the 357MDOK floor plan. However, we currently only have a 2016 3/4 ton, so that would be pushing it weight wise. Haven't found a decent mid bunk model we can tow, so we're likely looking at the rear bunkhouse, street side kitchen models out there. Getting harder to find them with only 1 bathroom tho - don't think we like 1 1/2 baths.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #38

Quote:
As stated earlier, we really love the 357MDOK floor plan. However, we currently only have a 2016 3/4 ton, so that would be pushing it weight wise. Haven't found a decent mid bunk model we can tow, so we're likely looking at the rear bunkhouse, street side kitchen models out there. Getting harder to find them with only 1 bathroom tho - don't think we like 1 1/2 baths.

I hear you, I specifically bought a 1 ton because I knew I would need it. From all I read they only add a helper spring to make it a 1 Ton from your 3/4 ton. This is for GM, looked at your profile by the way you still have your Tundra listed as Tow vehicle. Using Tapatalk does not let me see if you listed your make for your new truck in your sig.

Just saying this because you could theoretically add a helper spring or maybe some airbags. This would technically make it a 1 ton, but I worry on the legality of it. Would you still be towing more than what your truck is rated for even if you modified it to handle more payload.

I am pretty sure the was a rear bunk Jayco that did not have a bathroom in it. My wife liked it, but I really like the rear living area. Tv in front of theater seats is something I did not want to give up.

Funny that my wife’s runner up RV had the back living room/ guest room with a half bath. I reminded here that that meant cleaning 2 bathrooms every time we leave from a campsite.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #39

Quote:
I've used the gas connection on my current trailer quite a bit for days we just want a quick bbq or whatever. I would much rather do that than waste storage space on whatever is in these outdoor kitchen drawers.

I guess its the packing/storing of another bbq grill that makes these things advantageous?

I assume that is the main reason, but my Akorn Jr. grill/smoker is always taken camping with us. Never leave home without it.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #40

Quote:
I hear you, I specifically bought a 1 ton because I knew I would need it. From all I read they only add a helper spring to make it a 1 Ton from your 3/4 ton. This is for GM, looked at your profile by the way you still have your Tundra listed as Tow vehicle. Using Tapatalk does not let me see if you listed your make for your new truck in your sig.

Just saying this because you could theoretically add a helper spring or maybe some airbags. This would technically make it a 1 ton, but I worry on the legality of it. Would you still be towing more than what your truck is rated for even if you modified it to handle more payload.

I am pretty sure the was a rear bunk Jayco that did not have a bathroom in it. My wife liked it, but I really like the rear living area. Tv in front of theater seats is something I did not want to give up.

Funny that my wife’s runner up RV had the back living room/ guest room with a half bath. I reminded here that that meant cleaning 2 bathrooms every time we leave from a campsite.

If you look online you can get an airbag system that is used to assist in the week. Works wonderful and it’s very inexpensive