Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
I’m sure they used plenty of water, but whatever is in the tank is grinding away the seals on the dump valve, and lets the water leak out and down the sewer.
It almost sounds like some sand got in there, maybe they were camping at a beach. But who puts stuff like that into their black tank??? Kids perhaps...

I wonder if you could get a shop vac hose into the tank. Is it directly below the toilet or is there a pipe along the way? Don't stand near the shop vac outlet--could get pretty gross!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #22

This is the stuff in my black tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	38703Attachment 1
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #23

Quote:
This is the stuff in my black tank. Attachment 38703Attachment 1
Wow--the Creature from the Black (Tank) Lagoon! I'm assuming that stuff won't dissolve if left in water?
Old 04-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Wow--the Creature from the Black (Tank) Lagoon! I'm assuming that stuff won't dissolve if left in water?

Soaking seems to get it to break up, but then it’s like there is sand in the system. I might just have to deal with it until it all finally comes out or I replace the tank.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #25

Minerals and "struvite" are natural deposits from human waste and urine. Over time all tanks will end up with them.

Struvite urinary stones and crystals form readily in the urine of animals and humans that are infected with ammonia-producing organisms. They are potentiated by alkaline urine and high magnesium excretion (high magnesium/plant-based diets).
Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Minerals and "struvite" are natural deposits from human waste and urine. Over time all tanks will end up with them.

Struvite urinary stones and crystals form readily in the urine of animals and humans that are infected with ammonia-producing organisms. They are potentiated by alkaline urine and high magnesium excretion (high magnesium/plant-based diets).

Best way to get it out of the tank?
Old 04-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Best way to get it out of the tank?
Have one of the RV TANK service guys blast it out is the only sure way. I know they are hard to find but your dealer may know somebody. If you're ever in the ORLANDO area this guy does a great job. Link also discusses the issues your dealing with

www.holdingtankcleaning.com

This stuff will dissolve/loosen it over time.
http://tanktechsrx.com/shop/
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #28

By Grumpy's description, it seems your RV has Kidney Stones, My doctor told me to drink LOTS of beer, and wait. Maybe pour a six pack of beer in your toilet and flush, and maybe drink one or two while you wait....see if it passes??

(In seriousness, that's all I have to contribute....sorry!)
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #29

Just a thought. Pequa drain line opener and let it sit for an hour? Then rinse well.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #30

Pyramid of death. That's what that sounds like. you need to fill 1/3 water then put 50 lbs ice in the tank then drive around. Flush, do it again. They didn't keep the tank valve closed when they were using it. Keep water and blue stuff in it when stored until it finally goes away.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
Pyramid of death. That's what that sounds like. you need to fill 1/3 water then put 50 lbs ice in the tank then drive around. Flush, do it again. They didn't keep the tank valve closed when they were using it. Keep water and blue stuff in it when stored until it finally goes away.

It was a poo pyramid. But I believe that it was caused by the struvite breaking up, damaged the seals on the valve, and let the liquids drain. I got the pyramid out last season, and replaced the seals. However the struvite is still in there and damaged the new seals. Before I replace the seals and/ or valve again, I want that stuff out! If I can’t get it out, I’ll have the tank replaced.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #32

Try This with a Pressure Washer

Quote:
Our 2014 Eagle has what I can only describe as a large buildup of what I think is the residual bacteria etc. quorum? Problem is as it breaks down, it is very gritty and abrasive to the seals on my dump valve.

What caused this, how to eliminate, and how to prevent.

I don’t know if the previous owners put something in the tank they shouldn’t have or what.

I did have issues with what must’ve been a dam in there. Could flush and dump until clear, move the camper and it was sewage again. That has been cleared.
I have seen a tank cleaning service at a campground use a pressure washer to clean out an RV black tank that was clogged with "the pyramid". They worked with 5 gallon buckets and put the sprayer up the outflow without the stinky slinky attached. It was a bit messy at first, but soon the huge chunks exited into the bucket. Next they took the sprayer to the toilet and stuck it into the tank from that side and blew out lots more stuff. After about a half hour, there was nothing but clear water running out and the tank was as clean as new. They recommended the owner add some Calgon or Boraxo and a 2 cups of cheap laundry detergent with about 5 gallons of water after dumping but before driving it home. The foreman explained that the Water Softener and detergent would make the inside of the tank slick as "eel slime" and nothing would stick to it after that... not even toilet paper.

I've followed his advice and I have had functioning sensors and no clogs since he passed on the information to me (5+ years). I find that treating the tank every trip was not necessary, so I add the treatment first time out each year, but you could do it as often as you think it is needed.

Good Camping ... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #33

Quote:
It was a poo pyramid. But I believe that it was caused by the struvite breaking up, damaged the seals on the valve, and let the liquids drain. I got the pyramid out last season, and replaced the seals. However the struvite is still in there and damaged the new seals. Before I replace the seals and/ or valve again, I want that stuff out! If I can’t get it out, I’ll have the tank replaced.
If you look up "struvite" in Wikipedia, you'll find that it is soluble in acid. Try some vinegar on your sample; if it dissolves it go get a couple of gallons of cheap stuff from Sams Club and dump it into your toilet. I'd leave it full strength on the bottom of the tank overnight, then add some water so it will get to the sides. If nothing else, your tank will smell like a nice salad!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #34

Look into Tank Techs Rx.

https://youtu.be/NmtXaAAF0LU

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #35

Full hookup, I ram, as fast at the toilet can swallow, a 5 gal bucket of water down it and do that a couple of times.
Dump station, I'll have a 5 gal bucket of water filled up and in the shower waiting. Pull the valve and let it drain out, then ram the bucket of water down it and that's close enough. I don't like being the idiot that it at the dump station holding everyone else up because they want to get out every drop that you're not going to get anyway. I'll get home and put the chemicals and some water in it and it's good to go.
When it comes to the black tank, water is your friend. Along with the chemicals.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #36

It’s slowly but surely coming out. Haven’t taken the 5er anywhere for a while. I have been keeping water in the tank and letting it soak, then dump. Found this in the sewer hose when I unhooked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1590.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	41156
Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
It’s slowly but surely coming out. Haven’t taken the 5er anywhere for a while. I have been keeping water in the tank and letting it soak, then dump. Found this in the sewer hose when I unhooked.
What is it?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #38

If you read back thru the thread it’s called struvite
Old 06-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
If you read back thru the thread it’s called struvite
Maybe get a urine test also?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote