Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Drinking water system questions

So I have a new 2021 North Point with the drinking water dispenser system. I know it works with a small water pump in the basement and should turn on with the switch near the sink. It seems mine only has power or works when I have the main house pump on. Am I missing something or did they wire this pump wrong........which wouldn’t surprise me and it is something I will just add to the growing list of problems I need to have the dealer address when I can get an appointment. I was kind of hoping to either learn what I am doing wrong or find a fix without involving the dealer. I’ve searched Jayco’s website and the web and can’t seem to find any information on this system.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #2

The drinking water pump should be 120vac, not 12vdc like the main house pump. Mine is

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

Thanks for responding. I will double check this tomorrow but I did trace the wire from the pump and it looks like a 120 cord from the pump going to behind the wall and then I found what looked to be a Red and White 12V wire attached to it. When I was looking at it I didn’t have the best light so maybe I just got wire mixed up.......looks like spaghetti behind there.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #4

We were out last week in our Eagle. The pump hose connection came off and shot water everywhere. What a mess. Mine is on a 120 to 12 volt wall wart. First issue we have had with the new rig. I contacted Jayco support as I cannot get the hose to connect back onto the pump. Good thing i brought my whole house carbon filter along .
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #5

I have no idea why Jayco decided to go with this "drinking water system". Like I really would want to carry a 5 gallon jug of water around. I would connect the dispenser directly to the regular water source and throw the jug away!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I have no idea why Jayco decided to go with this "drinking water system". Like I really would want to carry a 5 gallon jug of water around. I would connect the dispenser directly to the regular water source and throw the jug away!!

I did - see post 11
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ply-64288.html

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zs387RDFS View Post
Nice!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-12-2020, 05:26 AM   #8

Ok, school me. WTH is a drinking water system????
My 17 Northpoint has a whole house filter that filters water regardless if it comes from the tank or city water connection.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Ok, school me. WTH is a drinking water system????
My 17 Northpoint has a whole house filter that filters water regardless if it comes from the tank or city water connection.
It is an independent system that feeds a small drinking water water type faucet on the kitchen sink and the refrigerator ice maker. It uses a 5 gallon drinking water type jug mounted in the storage bay for the water source and an on demand pump mounted in the kitchen island to provide the flow from the jug. In theory it is a great idea to always know that you are getting drinking water from a jug you fill with known quality water.

In application it is more of a pain in the rear than it is worth, in my opinion. If you are at a campground and need to refill the jug your options are go to someplace that sells these type jugs with supposedly quality water or just refill it from the campground source. Option two is the easiest which gains you nothing. I needed the storage space the jug took up so I removed it, disconnected the feed line from the pump and using my PEX kit attached to the cold water feed to the kitchen sink with a shut off valve, just in case. We have the outside filter which does some good but found using the water from the fridge door dispenser is better probably because it is filtered again thru the ice maker/water filter in the fridge.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #10

I wouldn't be surprised if you see them drop that "great idea" in the future. If I were ordering a new one again, I would insist that they leave it out or I'd walk.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-14-2020, 05:35 AM   #11

Refilling the 5 gallon..

You don't need to buy a new one. Tons of stores now have the refill station for water containers in front, just like the carpet shampooers back in the day. I bought a 2nd 5 gallon bottle for week long trips to the beach, but love the fact that I don't have to drink smelly campground water. I understand that we tend to camp coastal areas where water is less than ideal, and those who camp inland don't have the same issue.

$3.75 for a 5 gallon refill at the triple filtered machine, I don't need to buy cases of bottled water any longer, I am thrilled. Bonus points for being able to turn on the ice maker the day before a trip without having to connect a hose to my rig, and have a jump start on ice in the residential fridge.
Pamtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #12

So it turns out they did in fact wire the small pump to my regular house water pump. After searching around I found a wire just hanging freely. I traced it to the switch for the drinking water system, connected it and my pump now works. Unfortunately when we use it I have a stream of water running out the under belly so I have a broken pipe or loose fitting somewhere and I still can’t use it. Camper is scheduled for warranty repairs the end of October so I guess at this point I will just add it to the list. I assume that they will have to remove the underbelly to find this leak and I don’t want to deal with that mess on my own. I checked all of the line I can see and it appears intact at those locations.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #13

We’ve been trailering since ‘11 and drinking tap water for most of the time. When we started we carried jugs of fresh water to drink but after a few trips I noticed I wasn’t using it and was drinking CG water (yeah, I’m lazy). A few more trips and we quit carrying the jugs and drank the CG water. Shift to the new(er) 5th, it has a whole house filter that I try to replace regularly. Can’t say I can tell a difference in water quality after I’ve replaced the filter. We’ve never gotten ill while traveling that could be attributed to water. We mostly use CG water but I carry a little in the fresh tank while on the road for potty stops and hand washing but seldom drink the tank water. If we Boon docked I’d probably rely more on a “fresh water” system (which we don’t have).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #14

Drinking water system questions

F350Guy, do you still have the cap that goes on top of the water bottle? I have searched everywhere and cannot find one. Dealers have no information about it either.
robert5733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you see them drop that "great idea" in the future. If I were ordering a new one again, I would insist that they leave it out or I'd walk.

At an RV show last winter, we saw the system in a new Pinnacle and the Jayco dealer there thought that they would likely drop it or make it an option due to the number of complaints from perspective customers.

We buy Desani bottled water because of the sturdy bottle they come in. This lets us refill them often and slow the trip to the landfill. With the water softener, the house cartridge filter and the fridge filter, we feel comfortable with the water.

If we were forced to get the drinking water system, I'd re-plumb it for wine.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert5733 View Post
F350Guy, do you still have the cap that goes on top of the water bottle? I have searched everywhere and cannot find one. Dealers have no information about it either.
We are at my sister-in-law's right now which is 700 miles from the Pinnacle. We will be home in about a week and I will look then.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:
If we were forced to get the drinking water system, I'd re-plumb it for wine.

Or Bushmill.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #18

Just ordered a 321RSTS has this fresh water system. My first thought was -I'm not going to want to fool with a 5 gallon jug! Too heavy to move in and out under the sink. (They are under the kitchen sink in the Eagle )
I'm going to get rid of the jug, re-plumb the line under the sink and add a filter system where the jug was going from the cold water line through the filter to the little faucet. Won't need the pump...

Clean water, no lugging a 40 lb jug!
Reese Goosebox
Pammac36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #19

Anyone have a pic of how Jayco secures the 5 gallon bottled water jug? I'm adding this to our unit and curious what they did to secure the jug. So tired of bottled water cases and 2.5 water jugs for our water needs.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #20

5 gallon bottle top

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
We are at my sister-in-law's right now which is 700 miles from the Pinnacle. We will be home in about a week and I will look then.

F350guy, did you ever get a chance to see if you still had the bottle top for the 5 gallon bottle?
robert5733 is offline   Reply With Quote