Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #1

Frustrated

We’re very disappointed and frustrated. Got a call Thursday from the dealer saying our 22 32rlts was repaired and ready to be picked up. The rig has been there for 6 weeks with 7 issues including a water leak in the pantry(no rain no showers) which damaged the walls inside the pantry as well as the door trim. I went over the list with the service advisor on the phone, and was assured everything was complete. Went to pick it up today, 2 of the 7 issues were done, 1 was replacing a drawer that was damaged and noted on delivery(simple), and 1 was replacing the pass through cargo door also noted damaged at delivery. The cargo door caulk was smeared and peeling around the frame. When I looked at the pantry, nothing was done, and the advisor said he misunderstood what the problem was. The rig was checked in 6 weeks ago by the SERVICE MANAGER, and all of the issues were clearly pointed out at the time. I had 3 conversations over the 6 weeks with the advisor, making sure he understood the damage in the pantry, and was assured the trim would be replaced as well as the interior wall of the pantry. Today, he seemed rather shocked to see the amount of damage to the trim and walls, and also noted the plywood floor was soft in the pantry. 6 weeks, and basically nothing was done. We had an hour long conversation with the store manager, who assured us the repairs would be expedited, we’ll see. The Jayco product is poor quality, and the dealers that service them aren’t worth a crap.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #2

Yep. There are better brands out there. Jayco is one of the less expensive brands and it really shows at times. I'm interested in how well the dealer replaces a wall. If there is someone that skilled at my dealer they keep him hidden.

Hopefully they will expedite and take care of you.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Yep. There are better brands out there. Jayco is one of the less expensive brands and it really shows at times. I'm interested in how well the dealer replaces a wall. If there is someone that skilled at my dealer they keep him hidden.

Hopefully they will expedite and take care of you.
Queue up, "yeah, but _____ brand is crappy too".
Old 08-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #4

I think all manufacturers at that price point share common problems. Most consumers, for the same price, will buy the 35' instead of the 30' from a higher quality manufacturer. Most people also believe since they both cost $45,000 the quality should be the same. After all it is a lot of money.

The OP issues are unacceptable, even for Jayco.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #5

Just to clarify, it’s a Pinnacle 36’, not a budget model.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eds34pc View Post
As you said Jayco is poor quality. Even their premium lines pale compared to others.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #7

Not confident in their ability to do the repair. If you saw the sealant they put around the cargo door they replaced, you wouldn’t have much confidence in their ability to do anything. The problem is, the next closest dealer is a 4-5 hour round trip. Every day that my rig sits in the shop is one less day that Jayco has to warranty. There are plenty of unhappy customers out there that need to hold Jaycos feet to the fire.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #8

I compare Thor to GM.
General Motors has divisions from Chevy to Cadillac. Thor has Jayco to Airstream and Tiffin. No matter what trim level you buy it's still a Chevy not a Cadillac. No matter what trim level you buy it's still a Jayco not an Airstream.

I would want to be there when they remove the wall. I can't imagine that turning out well.

As far as holding their feet to the fire, I'm one of the lucky ones. Only a couple minor issues that my dealer handled quickly and on the first try. But I've been here long enough to know that my experience isn't the same for everyone.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
As you said Jayco is poor quality. Even their premium lines pale compared to others.
My camper is perfect... was when I picked it up and it's stayed that way. Camper before my current one was great too. Loved it. One before that was terrific. I think you'll find issues with some campers no matter who made it. Jayco makes fine campers. It's often the best dealer that confirms the product is ready to deliver before delivery... and it appears Eds34pc's dealer 'dropped the ball' on theirs.

Manufacturers learn from experience what was a good design and what wasn't. Old-timers like me remember Chevrolet Corvair, Ford Pinto, Chrysler's Electroglide transmission. I wouldn't judge, or say what you did, about any company. Maybe some features are not the best, but no manufacturer is bad. Jayco has different price points, as they should, but most find outstanding quality at each level and the Pinnacle is a their best camper.
Quote:
We’re very disappointed and frustrated.
If your dealer is not taking care of you and your camper, I suggest you seek a certified RV technician to perform the warranty issues. Here's a link to a search page in our forum: https://www.doityourselfrv.com/searc...v-technicians/

Jayco will pay any authorized service tech to do the warranty work, so you are not limited to your dealer's service (or lack thereof). If you need help finding local techs, create a new post in the forum and ask for advice in your area. Many techs will come to you.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Old 08-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
As far as holding their feet to the fire, I'm one of the lucky ones. Only a couple minor issues that my dealer handled quickly and on the first try. But I've been here long enough to know that my experience isn't the same for everyone.
I think you have that reversed. There are more without issues than those with. I know hundreds of JAYCO owners that have not had problems (many years attending ralies) and numerous owners in our park now. As has been said over and over and over, you only hear from those who are disgruntled.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
......... It's often the best dealer that confirms the product is ready to deliver before delivery... and it appears Eds34pc's dealer 'dropped the ball' on theirs.
I absolutely agree. It doesn't help the OP at this point, but let me add one additional thing for anyone who may be reading this tread and is about to buy an RV. The buyer should not under any circumstance take delivery or pay for a RV until they are 100% satisfied with the RV. The number one most popular trick or outright lie that comes from an RV dealers mouth is "Oh, don't worry about those little things. Make a list of things that are wrong and we will fix it under warranty". This leads to long waits for service, multiple trips to the service department, and very dissatisfied customers.

There are dealers of every brand, both large and small that play this game. We hear it time and time again. It has been going on for as many years as I have been involved with RV's and I'm sure many years before. If you are a buyer, insist that you can test every system in the unit before you sign on the dotted line. If there is something that isn't to your satisfaction, make them fix it until it is. If the dealer tells you that they are unable or unwilling to cooperate with this, walk away and find one that will. It is that important.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 08-07-2022, 12:09 PM   #12

I am not aware of any craftsmen that work in the RV industry. Neither the manufacturer's nor dealership's have that kind of skilled workers.

I would settle for someone with attention to detail in thier skillsets. Sounds like just looking at he OP's RV would have given them a clue what needed to be worked on.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think you have that reversed. There are more without issues than those with. I know hundreds of JAYCO owners that have not had problems (many years attending ralies) and numerous owners in our park now. As has been said over and over and over, you only hear from those who are disgruntled.
I should have been clearer. I agree, most don't have any problems. My point was some people have problems, sometimes major like this. We've both read many threads through the years. Good folks fight, kick, and scream at Jayco (holding their feet to the fire) I don't think it really matters.

The OP just bought a Jayco. After he holds their feet to the fire or swears to never buy another Jayco, a new poster will come here after buying their first Jayco. Rinse, lather, repeat as they say. I've recommended Jayco to a number of people through the years and will continue to.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:35 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I am not aware of any craftsmen that work in the RV industry. Neither the manufacturer's nor dealership's have that kind of skilled workers.

I would settle for someone with attention to detail in thier skillsets. Sounds like just looking at he OP's RV would have given them a clue what needed to be worked on.
People with skillsets want to be paid, and that's the rub. If the dealer can pay Scooter, who was working at Wendy's last month, whose other skillset is "Minecraft" and being the nephew of the sales mgr., minimum wage to do a bad job where he'd otherwise have to pay a skilled worker $25.00 an hour to do a good job, he's going with Scooter and you'll just have to live with what you get.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
People with skillsets want to be paid, and that's the rub. If the dealer can pay Scooter, who was working at Wendy's last month, whose other skillset is "Minecraft" and being the nephew of the sales mgr., minimum wage to do a bad job where he'd otherwise have to pay a skilled worker $25.00 an hour to do a good job, he's going with Scooter and you'll just have to live with what you get.
True. The small rv sales and repair I worked at after retiring from my "real" job resembled this. Anyway, management expected their techs to have a working knowledge of electrical systems, plumbing systems, propane systems, generator systems and repair, basic carpentry including complete sides rear and roofs, axle and bearing repair including brakes.

You don't hire these kind of skills for minimum wage.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 08-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Every Jayco is a 'Budget Model'
Old 08-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I absolutely agree. It doesn't help the OP at this point, but let me add one additional thing for anyone who may be reading this tread and is about to buy an RV. The buyer should not under any circumstance take delivery or pay for a RV until they are 100% satisfied with the RV. The number one most popular trick or outright lie that comes from an RV dealers mouth is "Oh, don't worry about those little things. Make a list of things that are wrong and we will fix it under warranty". This leads to long waits for service, multiple trips to the service department, and very dissatisfied customers.

There are dealers of every brand, both large and small that play this game. We hear it time and time again. It has been going on for as many years as I have been involved with RV's and I'm sure many years before. If you are a buyer, insist that you can test every system in the unit before you sign on the dotted line. If there is something that isn't to your satisfaction, make them fix it until it is. If the dealer tells you that they are unable or unwilling to cooperate with this, walk away and find one that will. It is that important.
Very well said Midnightmoon!
I spent 4 hours going over my trailer for the PDI. I even had my wife do her own PDI. (Yes, she found stuff I didn't even think of) Dealer salesperson was not happy and even told me they do not allow for that much time. I told him to go about whatever he does, and we will call him when we are done. He said he is supposed to supervise the PDI. I said suit yourself. He walked away. We found a couple issues (wife found that when standing at a certain place in the dining area Infront of the fridge, you could see into the bathroom when the door was closed) Door was hung crooked!
The dealer noted the issues, and we went back 3 days later and signed the paperwork and picked up the trailer after a 2nd PDI looking over everything that was fixed. That bas back in October 2015. No issues since!
We are very happy with our 28BHBE!

do not let the dealer hurry you thru the pdi!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 08-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Every Jayco is a 'Budget Model'
Name the Manufacturer's that aren't budget. Then do like I always did before buying an RV. Go to the brand's RV forum not affiliated with the manufacturer and see what actual users and owners think about their RV.

This should open your eyes to the fact that EVERY one has a set of problems. Go ahead and try it, great way to spend a few hours.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 08-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
My camper is perfect... was when I picked it up and it's stayed that way. Camper before my current one was great too. Loved it. One before that was terrific. I think you'll find issues with some campers no matter who made it. Jayco makes fine campers. It's often the best dealer that confirms the product is ready to deliver before delivery... and it appears Eds34pc's dealer 'dropped the ball' on theirs.

Manufacturers learn from experience what was a good design and what wasn't. Old-timers like me remember Chevrolet Corvair, Ford Pinto, Chrysler's Electroglide transmission. I wouldn't judge, or say what you did, about any company. Maybe some features are not the best, but no manufacturer is bad. Jayco has different price points, as they should, but most find outstanding quality at each level and the Pinnacle is a their best camper.

If your dealer is not taking care of you and your camper, I suggest you seek a certified RV technician to perform the warranty issues. Here's a link to a search page in our forum: https://www.doityourselfrv.com/searc...v-technicians/

Jayco will pay any authorized service tech to do the warranty work, so you are not limited to your dealer's service (or lack thereof). If you need help finding local techs, create a new post in the forum and ask for advice in your area. Many techs will come to you.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Very well said Midnightmoon!
I spent 4 hours going over my trailer for the PDI. I even had my wife do her own PDI. (Yes, she found stuff I didn't even think of) Dealer salesperson was not happy and even told me they do not allow for that much time. I told him to go about whatever he does, and we will call him when we are done. He said he is supposed to supervise the PDI. I said suit yourself. He walked away. We found a couple issues (wife found that when standing at a certain place in the dining area Infront of the fridge, you could see into the bathroom when the door was closed) Door was hung crooked!
The dealer noted the issues, and we went back 3 days later and signed the paperwork and picked up the trailer after a 2nd PDI looking over everything that was fixed. That bas back in October 2015. No issues since!
We are very happy with our 28BHBE!

do not let the dealer hurry you thru the pdi!
We were complete newbies when we purchased our Pinnacle last May and didn't pick it up until August as I was waiting on a truck big enough to pull it. We did look at a couple other brands, but my wife loved the 36FBTS layout. We have had it just over a year, some small issues that had not kept us from camping. We bought from a car dealer in Staunton, VA who also has an RV lot attached to the car lot. He has a running word file on the issues with it, and after a trip to a nearby park in October, we will leave with him for repairs. He has been extremely helpful and honest with us and have full faith he will take care of our Issues. I could be wrong, but I think Stan and Sharon might know who I am speaking off? forgive me, too many threads to read and learn from.
And some might think we are "Covid" campers, we are not. We switched from a 41' sport fishing boat to this, lots more travel locations, and MUCH cheaper
Old 08-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #20

Quote:
I absolutely agree. It doesn't help the OP at this point, but let me add one additional thing for anyone who may be reading this tread and is about to buy an RV. The buyer should not under any circumstance take delivery or pay for a RV until they are 100% satisfied with the RV.
I couldn't agree more! I've had 6 RV's over the past 21 years. My last 2 were / are Jayco's. I got beat up pretty badly on a couple of the early ones but mostly over price. Quality seemed better because the technology was much simpler. I had 2 very poor buying experiences with the 2 Jayco dealers. 1 was camping world and the other a family owned business here in NY. Mechanically our 28BHBE was as close to perfect as you could get. Just a few minor issues I took care of myself.

When we went to pick up our current 33RBTS - dealer started the walk through but refused to put water in tanks or even connect to city water claiming it was too time consuming to de / rewinterize. We started walking to our truck and realized they starting taking parts off our trade. Told them the deal was off and we will be leaving with our trade. They immediately agreed to allow me to add water. Next argument came when I grabbed my ladder to check the roof and was told for liability reasons they couldn't allow me to get on the roof. My response was the same, no deal. I was finally allowed to fully inspect my purchase including the roof, and every access panel and system. I spent nearly 3 hours doing just that.

I explained to my salesman that I was coming prepared with tools, tondo a full PDI. I did not need nor want "training" from their yard jockey. He didn't realize what I meant by a PDI. I found several items that needed to be corrected prior to the sale. They tried everything to get me to agree to accept delivery and then they would make everything right. Trailer stayed at the dealer for an additional 3 weeks until it was accepted by us.
Closed Thread