Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
You are correct that the price is only $400 apart, but that is only if I do a trade in.

If I can sell my current unit for around $18k, the unfriendly dealer price for the 377 is still $59.4k, the friendly dealer reverts to $61.8k, meaning that my final price is $41.4k from the unfriendly (59.4k - 18k) plus 6% tax = $43.9k, and $46.5k with tax from the friendly.

I'm all for paying a bit extra for peace of mind on future quality service, but that's a $2.6k diff (not $5k as I previously stated, math error on my part).
Personally, I would trade it in for the minimal difference. Then, if the order gets screwed up or is delayed, you still have your camper. I would 100% buy from the dealer you like even if it does cost more money. Having a dealer and service department you trust and is willing to work on your stuff is priceless.

If you sell it outright, you are "hoping" to get $18k which means you need to ask $20k to start which may just be high enough you will get no lookers. You may end up selling at 15 or 16 just to get rid of it...you really won't know until it is sold.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Spec'ing out a 2018 377 RLBH:

Cashmere
King bed
Convection micro
On demand hot water
Furrion rear view camera
Dual patio awnings
Hitch receiver

We don't watch a lot of TV, especially outside when camping, so not interested in the slide out TV.

We're mostly seasonal, so no need for the Sanicon system or a generator.

Any other options to consider?

Going back and forth between two local Jayco dealers, neither of which I've dealt with before.

One of them plays hardball a bit more than the other. They have the better pricing of $59,400 regardless if I trade in or not, and would give me $13,500 on my trade but only if they take it now. They would reassess based on NADA value at the time of new unit arrival, late Feb (I assume downward). Won't give me a formal financing quote without a signed agreement and non refundable deposit. Little worried about something going wrong between now and then and being without a camper for 2018 since they would have taken mine...

The other dealer has been much more accommodating, but pricing is considerably higher: $61,800 regardless of trade or not, but $15k on trade in value. And their deposit is refundable, and they've been very pleasant during negotiations. They will hold trade in value regardless if I wait for new unit to arrive in Feb. They came down to this new price when I informed them of what their competition was selling for, and how I would prefer to buy through them, making both deals about the same price if I end up trading in.

My dilemma is with trading in. Market value of my current unit is probably around $18k, but selling season is definitely coming to an end soon (SE PA). And if I sell it, it would make the deal with the "nicer dealer" suddenly more expensive, and almost a wash. But if I sell and go with the "less nice dealer", I could be looking at a rig costing me almost $5k less...

Argh.
So what are the two dealers (if you don't mind)? I ask because I will be looking in spring and being in DE most of the dealers are in PA. I have purchase from Fretz before but that was a used popup. Delmarva RV in DE (Smyrna location) just picked up the line and told me today they have a 377 on order.

From what I understand NADA is high on values. I am going to spend the $30 for an appraisal of my trade so I know what I am working with and going to shoot for 35% off of MSRP on new one. We'll see where it goes from there.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
So what are the two dealers (if you don't mind)? I ask because I will be looking in spring and being in DE most of the dealers are in PA. I have purchase from Fretz before but that was a used popup. Delmarva RV in DE (Smyrna location) just picked up the line and told me today they have a 377 on order.

From what I understand NADA is high on values. I am going to spend the $30 for an appraisal of my trade so I know what I am working with and going to shoot for 35% off of MSRP on new one. We'll see where it goes from there.

To keep things local, I worked between Fretz and Gayle Kline.

I compared their pricing to the lowest I could find in the US via RVTrader.

GK came in right off the bat lower by several thou vs the lowest on RVTrader, after some persuasion (and coincidentally finding out we're neighbors in the seasonal campground), Fretz matched. Against my 377 MSRP, they are about 28% off before trade-in.

Given that the 377 is a volume model, lots of existing units on the market, that's probably as competitive as it gets on pricing. Good luck with your quest from 35% off MSRP, I'd be interested in what you can achieve. Maybe you could get that on a leftover 2017?
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #24

Quote:
To keep things local, I worked between Fretz and Gayle Kline.

I compared their pricing to the lowest I could find in the US via RVTrader.

GK came in right off the bat lower by several thou vs the lowest on RVTrader, after some persuasion (and coincidentally finding out we're neighbors in the seasonal campground), Fretz matched. Against my 377 MSRP, they are about 28% off before trade-in.

Given that the 377 is a volume model, lots of existing units on the market, that's probably as competitive as it gets on pricing. Good luck with your quest from 35% off MSRP, I'd be interested in what you can achieve. Maybe you could get that on a leftover 2017?

Lofty goals, I know . I think the lowest I saw online was 30%, but I am not in the market now-looking for April/May. Being one of the most popular models now isn't going to help. I also haven't seen one yet exactly the way I want it. Looking for dual awnings, king bed, slide toppers (added to my current trailer and definitely want them again), Camera, Convection micro, and still deciding on generator and dual pane windows.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #25

We just wrapped up our second seasonal site season with our 38FDDS. We have the Atwood 10 gal gas/electric tank water heater. It's operated flawlessly. We've had up to 4 people taking consecutive showers and had plenty of hot water. It's fast too.. Water is hot with 20 minutes of firing it up.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Lofty goals, I know . I think the lowest I saw online was 30%, but I am not in the market now-looking for April/May. Being one of the most popular models now isn't going to help. I also haven't seen one yet exactly the way I want it. Looking for dual awnings, king bed, slide toppers (added to my current trailer and definitely want them again), Camera, Convection micro, and still deciding on generator and dual pane windows.
Yeah, I was looking around for something already built to my general spec, but nothing local, so I decided to see what a special ordered unit would cost from a trustworthy dealer (win/win), and I was happy to see they were willing to be competitive with existing stock out there.

I think the fact that it is a popular model is why they are willing to drop pricing, supply and demand thing. Asking for an oddball model means you don't have many choices.

Anyway, lead time on new ordered units now means a late Feb delivery, from what the dealers say. Given that there will probably be teething issues, I'm hoping to get them all sorted before the season kicks off around here in May, so we can have a problem-free summer.

And I've been convinced to slide toppers, adding them to my build...
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #27

FWIW, the money given for your trade-in and the price of the new unit are not relevant. The only thing important is what you are paying out of pocket.

Typically a dealer has a choice. Make a higher value on his trailers and then offer more for trade-ins, or mark his units down and go cheap on the trade-ins. The end result is the same.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
FWIW, the money given for your trade-in and the price of the new unit are not relevant. The only thing important is what you are paying out of pocket.

Typically a dealer has a choice. Make a higher value on his trailers and then offer more for trade-ins, or mark his units down and go cheap on the trade-ins. The end result is the same.
Indeed, but having the selling price contingent upon trade in takes away my option to see on the open market, which was what the one dealer was offering.

In the end, both dealers had the same deal as long as I traded in, but the one had a worse deal if I didn't.

Interesting factor to consider, though, is that the overall tax amount gets reduced if you do a trade in, since in PA the tax is on the balance, not the original selling price. So that needed to be factored in against selling my unit on the open market.

In the end, if I can get $17k for my unit privately, it nets me $2600 even with the higher tax I will pay on the new unit. And because the selling price of the new unit is not tied to my trade, I have up to the delivery date of the new unit to try to sell it.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:

Interesting factor to consider, though, is that the overall tax amount gets reduced if you do a trade in, since in PA the tax is on the balance, not the original selling price. So that needed to be factored in against selling my unit on the open market.

In the end, if I can get $17k for my unit privately, it nets me $2600 even with the higher tax I will pay on the new unit. And because the selling price of the new unit is not tied to my trade, I have up to the delivery date of the new unit to try to sell it.
I wish Virginia was that way. You pay tax on the full monty here,lol. Then you pay personal property tax on the rv every year. Yikes.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I wish Virginia was that way. You pay tax on the full monty here,lol. Then you pay personal property tax on the rv every year. Yikes.
LOL, even the sales guy at the dealer mentioned I should be thankful we're not Virginia residents! Sorry about that!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
LOL, even the sales guy at the dealer mentioned I should be thankful we're not Virginia residents! Sorry about that!
The trade off is we have relatively low real estate taxes. One way or another the man gets his money.

It seems the two dealers are close even excluding trade, Im wondering if the more desirable dealer would come down to meet the deal if you play hard ball, saying here is what Im willing to pay to make this happen today ....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #32

I did play the Friendly Dealer off the UnFriendly one and the owner recognized my business name from seeing it on vehicles I take to my seasonal campground. He has a camper there, too.

Turns out we will be site neighbors next year. Small world. He matched the offer I was getting from UnFriendly.

I guess I know whose door to knock on if there's a warranty issue with my new unit!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #33

Question: anyone here know how special orders work between dealers and the factory? Is it similar to the car industry where the factory gives a certain amount and scheduled allocations to the dealer, or is it first come, first served with new orders submitted to the factory?

Just wondering about timing of delivery for the season. I figure our perfect window to avoid start paying for the unit while we are not using it, while also leaving time for any inevitable warranty work would be late March, early April delivery, not Feb as an order put in now would result in.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #34

I just placed my order for a 377. No build date as of yet. From what I have heard from dealers is they are anywhere from 12-16weeks out. No sure if that is from the date of order of when they start building that line, which I heard late nov to early dec.
dhornauer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornauer67 View Post
I just placed my order for a 377. No build date as of yet. From what I have heard from dealers is they are anywhere from 12-16weeks out. No sure if that is from the date of order of when they start building that line, which I heard late nov to early dec.
What you said makes sense. When talking with the Jayco folks at the Hershey RV show, they told me they build the units in runs. So it all depends where the 377 is in the rotation. If is after the unit they are producing now vs. having four or five more models to go in front of it before they start making those again. They did say that it's not the same number of each. They might build 15 of the 375s, then 8 of the 379s, then 30 of the 377s. And I don't know they are building all the lines at the same plant-Eagle, North Point, Pinnacle, etc. and all of those models are factored into the same rotation.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #36

I declined the bumper grill but do have the outdoor kitchen. My unit does have an extra gas line underneath to the rear if I want to add in future

I only paid $500 for installed slide-topper but it is probably smaller than yours?

It would be nice and worry free to trade in unit but if you have the time to sell it yourself then try that before you buy

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #37

Quote:

I bought the ‘18 377 RLBH with cashmere, basement tv, onan 5500 generator, splendide washer/dryer, on demand hot water, king bed, 3rd propane tank to cover genset from a brand new dealer building a huge new Jayco facility in Tanner Alabama just outside of Decatur (Rocket City RV). Got the 84 month extended warranty too everything, warranty, washer dryer, genset including tax out the door for $72,400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote