Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #21

I have hopes that Tesla will develop a HD tow rig for hauling RVs. It would have to have a 500 mile range and priced under 50k. Unicorn for sure.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Too bad you can't buy new. A new Ford F-350 with the 7.3L gas engine mated to the new 10 speed transmission would eat that trailer up.
Thanks. This does sound impressive.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/new...-gas-v8-video/

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old railroader View Post
sold old 1/2 ton truck and need to purchase one to pull 14,000. Have got a lot of advice from folks at church and articles I have read but can't make up my mind on gas or diesel. Neighbor who is a diesel mechanic says to go gas due to the high repair and maintenance cost on diesels. Would like to hear from you folks. I can't afford new so looking for something around $32,000.
Just a FYI, I say at least 1ton diesel so most likely you will exceed 26000 lb combined GVWR so you will also need to upgrade your DL to a Class A non-CDL. It's no big deal and many a slick rv salesman will tell you not needed but Tx it's required .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Just a FYI, I say at least 1ton diesel so most likely you will exceed 26000 lb combined GVWR so you will also need to upgrade your DL to a Class A non-CDL. It's no big deal and many a slick rv salesman will tell you not needed but Tx it's required .
Very good point. For what it is worth, it is required here in PA also.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #25

Quote:
sold old 1/2 ton truck and need to purchase one to pull 14,000. Have got a lot of advice from folks at church and articles I have read but can't make up my mind on gas or diesel. Neighbor who is a diesel mechanic says to go gas due to the high repair and maintenance cost on diesels. Would like to hear from you folks. I can't afford new so looking for something around $32,000.
You can get away with a gas truck depending on how often and where you plan to pull that load. When comparing apples to apples, a gas truck will have a higher pin weight but a diesel will pull a heavier trailer.
If always on the road… go diesel
If traveling less... a newer gas truck can work.
1 ton versus 3/4 ton depends on your pin weight. Be sure to look for a towing gear ratio like 4:10's.
Good luck!

2019 SuperDuty CCSB 6.2 Gasser 4X4
2019 Jayco Octane 222 SL
2016 HD Dyna S and 2019 HD Softail Slim
AmericanBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #26

Payload

Quote:
You haven't mentioned what you're towing - just the weight. You can only drop so much weight on a rear hitch - typically 10% of the weight, so in this case you're looking at 1,400 LBS. If you go with the 5th wheel/gooseneck option, you can drop more payload in the bed (over the axle). I'd make payload the focus of your attention and work around that.

Typically 2WD trucks have more payload available than 4WD. Dually's handle more payload but they've got big butts, more wheels/tires and are typically Diesels. If you're going do tow up/down more than a 5% grade more often than not, get a Diesel. If you're simply driving around on mostly flat ground, a gasser will be fine.

Note: If we're talking about a camper and it's GVWR is rated at 14K, it's not likely you'll end up with that weight unless the wife wants to take everything you own on camping trips. Most trailers have about 1,200-2,000 of "wiggle room" (cargo weight), so it might be more like 12K towed. Throw in full fresh water tanks, a generator, mom's antique cast iron cooking set and some extras.. then you're back up to 14K. King pin weight is typically 18-20% of the actual weight.

Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #27

used 350

I pull my 321 RSTS with a 350 diesel. Took a while but found a 2015 Lariet with 96000 miles for $33500. Pure stock, pulls it great. Its 4 door 8 ft box, so a little long but sure is stable going down the road. Found it on Cargurus.com ...put in your specs and how far you will travel to get one. More expensive on maintenance than gas but my last 6.7 diesel had 320000 when I traded and was running strong yet.
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #28

Slick Salesman

Quote:
So true! Salesmen tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to know. Assuming they know something in the first place. I went round and round about payload vs. towability and nobody could give me a straight answer.

Example: 2015 F-150 EB w/Max Tow package. I'm interested in the Jayco HT 5th wheel. Camping world salesman says "Sure that'll work! It's a half ton and HT means it's Half Ton compatible". Morons - the whole bunch.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
So true! Salesmen tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to know. Assuming they know something in the first place. I went round and round about payload vs. towability and nobody could give me a straight answer.

Example: 2015 F-150 EB w/Max Tow package. I'm interested in the Jayco HT 5th wheel. Camping world salesman says "Sure that'll work! It's a half ton and HT means it's Half Ton compatible". Morons - the whole bunch.
After riding in a f150 pulling a so called HT 5er, I am of the opinion only those small Casita 5ers are 1/2 ton campers
We have a 2011 321RLTS with a 14.5 GVWR and pull with CC LB Duramax. I had a 3/4T D/A and it did a good job BUT the dually is just way more stable.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #30

let me ask you a question in order to answer your question...….Take a look out on the highway and notice every vehicle pulling a heavy load. Notice there all diesels. Why is that?
B&W Companion Hitch
Westyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Not required in Ohio but was thinking of moving to Texas so may need to rethink that one.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Not required in Ohio but was thinking of moving to Texas so may need to rethink that one.
Test is easy. Written test just on a couple of chapters of CDL handbook & a driving test using any MH or truck/rv or trailer combo with gvwr over 26000 lbs. if you are used to towing & backing again easy. The gotchas are things like no walk around, adjusting mirrors, hitting curb with trailer tire. My tester had me make a left turn onto a 4 lane undivided Hwy with the center turn lane, if you use the turn lane to get on Hwy you fail. I had been warned about that gotcha from our best friend that works in the DL office
Old 12-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Test is easy. Written test just on a couple of chapters of CDL handbook & a driving test using any MH or truck/rv or trailer combo with gvwr over 26000 lbs. if you are used to towing & backing again easy. The gotchas are things like no walk around, adjusting mirrors, hitting curb with trailer tire. My tester had me make a left turn onto a 4 lane undivided Hwy with the center turn lane, if you use the turn lane to get on Hwy you fail. I had been warned about that gotcha from our best friend that works in the DL office
Brought back a hilarious moment I had at DMV when I went for my CDL license some 40 years ago. The company that hired me had Freightliner cab overs. The middle age lady examiner made it to the top of the cab step and when she went to swing her left leg in the passenger compartment she got hung up and fell flat on her back on the grass strip curb side. I thought for sure I was screwed BUT she didn't get hurt, climbed back up (successfully) and gave me my driving part of the exam..........I passed............I waited to laugh on the way to the terminal
Didn't always have good luck at DMV though...........when my oldest son turned 16 and went for his test. He left out the door with the driving examiner...........came back about five minutes later...........he backed in to a car behind him in the parking lot...........we waited about a week and that time no problem and he got his license.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
We have a 355MBQS and I pull it with the new 6.6L gas engine from GM. We go about 10-12 times a year and mostly flat lands, maybe once every couple years to the mountains. It is also a DD with a lot of short trips. Towing our 5er that is 14,300 loaded, I'm seeing 7-7.5 mpg. If we did more mountain pulls or lived in a hilly area, I'd have considered getting another diesel. For what we do and have, the gasser is fine. There are good points for both engines.
We pulled our 355MBQS with a 2012 2500 Duramax across the country from South Carolina, to Washington state down through California and a bunch of places in between last summer. The stamina of that engine was incredible. It never gave us any trouble and the exhaust brake was absolutely crucial in the mountains. I agree with those who say mountain pulling is much easier and less stressful with a diesel.
Rgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #35

I used to have a 5th before I bought my class A- I had a 2010 Dodge 3500 (1 Ton) with a single rear end option. It was a beast. If you are pulling more than 10k Diesel is your only answer.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #36

Right truck

Diesel 3500,Ram or F350 with towing package. Dually or not. Need 18,000 lb towing capacity.
blacklabbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #37

I was in a similar situation. Had a lightweight 23 foot travel trailer pulled by a half ton GMC. Bought a fifth wheel trailer lighter than you are looking at so I chose a three-quarter ton rather than 1 ton truck mostly to get a softer ride. I found a 2010 ram 6.7 that did not use DEF For around $30,000. Pulls like a dream and gets double digit mileage while towing for around $30,000. Pulls like a dream and gets double digit mileage while towing. dad diesel maintenance and repair costs are worth the great towing capabilities. Go diesel and you’ll never go back to Gas.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #38

2020 GMC Sierra Duramax 3500 Denali longbed dually. PERIOD
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #39

The unicorn truck has arrived the new Tesla truck will tow 14,000 lbs and go 500 miles also has approx 800 lbs of torque. Also it is 4x4 Drive , the torque is only an estimated amount probably has more. Also has a payload of 3500 lbs in the bed.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #40

Quote:

Maybe not 26k lbs but maybe close. Here's an example for reference...

We just did a full weigh-in.
Our truck (see sig.) with full fuel, 2 adults, 8 (small) pets, tools and lawn furniture came in at 9,150.

If we maxed out the trailer at 16,750 the combined gross would be 25,900.

In reality the trailer was at 16,400 and we purposely shopped like crazy beforehand with full pantry, fridge and basement with more reserve beverages. We even had full fresh water tank @75 gal. which is not like us for traveling but we wanted to push the envelope. We had 3 full propane tanks and no generator but we had room for the 300 lbs it would add.

Oh, and a Kitchen-Aide Stand Mixer (for pizza dough) in the basement too.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote