Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2023, 03:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And on top of that you get an educated evaluation of tires for your rig rather than someone's favorite.

I trust the people at Discount and have for 50 years.
I have bought tires on my vehicles from Discount since I was 17 years old. The road hazard warranty is second to none.

I got Hartland 205/75/R15 on my Jayco 198RD, and when I bought this trailer two years ago, it had Hartland tires on it. I went in to Discount to get sensors added, and since the tires were still so new, they allowed me to add road hazard warranty to my existing tires, and the spare I bought.

They even added road hazard warranty to my 2021 Tahoe, which had the Factory Goodyear tires on it.

They recommended the Hartland, as they are a good, heavy duty trailer specific tire. It has an E1 ply rating, and speed rated to 87 MPH, with a load rating of 107N (2149 lbs). I have gone on several 5000+ mile trips to Utah and California, and they have been great tires. Right now they come in at $113 each
Old 03-29-2023, 04:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaywood5785 View Post
I have bought tires on my vehicles from Discount since I was 17 years old. The road hazard warranty is second to none.

I got Hartland 205/75/R15 on my Jayco 198RD, and when I bought this trailer two years ago, it had Hartland tires on it. I went in to Discount to get sensors added, and since the tires were still so new, they allowed me to add road hazard warranty to my existing tires, and the spare I bought.

They even added road hazard warranty to my 2021 Tahoe, which had the Factory Goodyear tires on it.

They recommended the Hartland, as they are a good, heavy duty trailer specific tire. It has an E1 ply rating, and speed rated to 87 MPH, with a load rating of 107N (2149 lbs). I have gone on several 5000+ mile trips to Utah and California, and they have been great tires. Right now they come in at $113 each
Thanks for posting this. I thought hard about the Hartland tires. The reviews were good but having never heard of them ended up going with Carlyle. Next time we may go with Hartland.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:52 PM   #23

Goodyear Endurance ST255/85R16 E (10 ply) 8/32 inch tread depth 4080 lbs at 80 psi max 6 y warranty speed rating: N (81 mph) load index: 129.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
Looking to put new tires on my trailer. Are Goodyear Endurance still the go to tire for trailers?
I have installed them on my 28BHBE and am very happy with the performance with them. Been to Alaska and back 6 times.
bushflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:14 PM   #25

I have been running Goodyear Endurance tires for the last 2 years. My only issue with them is I only get 5-8k miles before they are worn out. As a full timer, I feel like I am constantly replacing tires!!

Are there any brands that will last longer?
cshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:49 PM   #26

5-8k mile life is very disappointing. Will need to evaluate options on replacement
Old 03-31-2023, 08:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrader View Post
I have been running Goodyear Endurance tires for the last 2 years. My only issue with them is I only get 5-8k miles before they are worn out. As a full timer, I feel like I am constantly replacing tires!!

Are there any brands that will last longer?
My Pinnacle isn’t quite 2 years old and I have just under 10,000 miles on the Goodyear Endurance tires and they look great. You realize they only start out with 8/32 tread, not 12-14 like some others.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:02 AM   #28

Do I need new tires?

I am wondering the same thing. 2017 Jayco Eagle, GVWR 13,750lbs.

They are definitely not miled out and I know with a big diesel pusher the tires should be replaced 5-6 years regardless of mileage.

I am led to believe that if there are no sidewall cracks or checking and if there is no cracking or checking between the treads, then they should be okay.

Thoughts?
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:56 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer and fifth wheel tires should be replaced on the same schedule, 5 or 6 years, since they often sit still for long periods of time. I'd rather wonder to myself if I'd actually have a blowout on older tires, than experience it for myself. Just my humble opinion.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:16 PM   #30

new tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
Looking to put new tires on my trailer. Are Goodyear Endurance still the go to tire for trailers?

Been using truck tires from discount t for last five years no problems. Have fiver weighs in 9k. They actually balanced all four. Not sure if thats necessary?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Been using truck tires from discount t for last five years no problems. Have fiver weighs in 9k. They actually balanced all four. Not sure if thats necessary?
I would--it will significantly reduce vibration in the trailer while underway.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Goodyear Endurance ST255/85R16 E (10 ply) 8/32 inch tread depth 4080 lbs at 80 psi max 6 y warranty speed rating: N (81 mph) load index: 129.
We have had very poor service out of Goodyear Endurance ST255/85R16E tires. We’ve had 3 failures, 2 of which were covered under warranty. The most recent failure was catastrophic and resulted in body, jack and frame damages. Since the manufacturer’s sticker shows the specs for this tire and Goodyear is the only manufacturer that makes this size, I’m interested to hear if anyone has replaced the tires on their Pinnacle with a different size tire? Possibly with a higher load range? Any feedback is appreciated.
Rocketmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:33 PM   #33

We replaced our Goodyear Endurance with Michelin XZE. Size 245/70/19.5. Much higher spec tire. Load range H, 16 ply, and 4900 pound load rating.

They are a commercial tire designed for high scrub and high mileage. They are a bit pricey. But, with a heavy Pinnacle. Worth the piece of mind.

The pictures do not do them justice. In a different league compared to the Endurance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4516.jpg   IMG_4507.jpg   IMG_4512.jpg   IMG_4510.jpg   IMG_4514.jpg  

RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrachrispy View Post
I would--it will significantly reduce vibration in the trailer while underway.
I just replaced my 6 year old Endurance tires with the same, picked them up today.
I asked if they typically balance trailer tires, as my last set weren’t, he said they don’t. Said he will do it if I want them too.
There is a ton of weight on all 4 now. I can’t even imagine how hard the trailer would have been shaking if they didn’t balance them.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:25 AM   #35

Thank you for your reply and advice.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:25 AM   #36

Good tip. Thanks
Old 04-11-2023, 07:57 AM   #37

Here's why I stick with Endurance-
They are made in USA, and they have been reliable for us, only one flat tire in 4 years (a nail).
Also, the axles, springs, shackles, etc are very underrated for the job, so you can count on the trailer chewing up tires from time to time because of alignment due to these failures.

Right now we're on a long trip with replacement axles, springs, shackles and bushings. Everything is good now with no excessive wear. But when a spring bushing fails (and it will), or a spring flattens out (and it will), it will grind up a tire pretty fast.

So I'm tempted sometimes to go with the really expensive G tires with more treadlife, but won't waste that money to have them ground down on one trip when something breaks again.

I replace the Endurance tires one at a time as needed, and inflate them to 80# (Jayco recommended) always.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Here's why I stick with Endurance-
They are made in USA, and they have been reliable for us, only one flat tire in 4 years (a nail).
Also, the axles, springs, shackles, etc are very underrated for the job, so you can count on the trailer chewing up tires from time to time because of alignment due to these failures.

Right now we're on a long trip with replacement axles, springs, shackles and bushings. Everything is good now with no excessive wear. But when a spring bushing fails (and it will), or a spring flattens out (and it will), it will grind up a tire pretty fast.

So I'm tempted sometimes to go with the really expensive G tires with more treadlife, but won't waste that money to have them ground down on one trip when something breaks again.

I replace the Endurance tires one at a time as needed, and inflate them to 80# (Jayco recommended) always.
Excellent info! I think you’re on to something with the trailer suspension. Recently, the leaf spring hangers on the back side of the rear axle failed. I had emergency roadside service come weld/repair them. I’m working with LCI to cover under warranty.

Do you use TPMS while towing your rig? If so, what maximum temperature & pressure values are common for your rig? I’ve seen tire temps up to 120F and pressures in mid to high 90s psi when starting @ 80 psi cold pressure.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmarvin View Post
Excellent info! I think you’re on to something with the trailer suspension. Recently, the leaf spring hangers on the back side of the rear axle failed. I had emergency roadside service come weld/repair them. I’m working with LCI to cover under warranty.

Do you use TPMS while towing your rig? If so, what maximum temperature & pressure values are common for your rig? I’ve seen tire temps up to 120F and pressures in mid to high 90s psi when starting @ 80 psi cold pressure.
I have TPMS and wouldn't want to be without it. Mine doesn't do temp., but we start at 80# and see low 90's on cool highways, and high 90's sometimes in the Summer. I think we've broken 100# before, but not sure about that.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Don't buy tires based on price...buy them based on reputation. Find the best price for the tire you feel has the best reputation. A roadside call and the damage from a blow out will cost more than the whole set.
Yes sir
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote