Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #41

Well I braved the cold and went out and messed with the "hole" a bit this morning. The box behind the hole is definitely just lying there and I moved it around to see if there was any plug-in to it and saw nothing. There is a large yellow cable going to the back side of it though. So took another pic with it on it's side.

The foil definitely cover vents and there is a loose power wire in the hole that is not connected in any way to that box. The power wire has to be for a second AC. Looks like this will be a fairly simple project once I figure out how to get a near 90lb unit on the roof. So, getting ready to call PPL and find out exactly what I need in install an AC there.

The factory must have knocked that hole in it so you can pull the power wire through. Kind of a cheesy way to do it, but I guess it works. I will clean that all up before I do any installing. Here is the bottom side of that box and you can see the yellow cable going to it. The brown wire is the power wire I pulled out.

Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #42

Me and a friend put 2 ladders the width of the ac unit on the side of the kitchen slide out with the slide out extended. We walked the AC unit up and placed it on top of the slide out. My bud kept it steady and I went up on the back ladder and over to the AC unit on top of the slide. I picked it up to the roof and slowly worked it forward to the front vent area. It was about 90#. Slow and steady wins the race.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Well I braved the cold and went out and messed with the "hole" a bit this morning. The box behind the hole is definitely just lying there and I moved it around to see if there was any plug-in to it and saw nothing. There is a large yellow cable going to the back side of it though. So took another pic with it on it's side.

The foil definitely cover vents and there is a loose power wire in the hole that is not connected in anyway to that box. The power wire has to be for a second AC. Looks like this will be a fairly simple project once I figure out how to get a near 90lb unit on the roof. So, getting ready to call PPL and find out exactly what I need in install an AC there.

The factory must have knocked that hole in it so you can pull the power wire through. Kind of a cheesy way to do it, but I guess it works. I will clean that all up before I do any installing. Here is the bottom side of that box and you can see the yellow cable going to it. The brown wire is the power wire I pulled out.

Brown wire is probably your thermostat wiring with multiple wires in it. The yellow wire, Romex would be your 120v power. There maybe 12v wiring there too, as some rv AC units need 12v power for the control boards.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Brown wire is probably your thermostat wiring with multiple wires in it. The yellow wire, Romex would be your 120v power. There maybe 12v wiring there too, as some rv AC units need 12v power for the control boards.

Earl
The brown cable has 4 wires in it. I called PPL and they said I would need a "multi-zone" thermostat. I have done some searching but still not sure which one to get, some get pretty spendy. You would think if it is prepped for a second AC, the existing 'stat would be ready for the second one.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #45

Quote:
The brown cable has 4 wires in it. I called PPL and they said I would need a "multi-zone" thermostat. I have done some searching but still not sure which one to get, some get pretty spendy. You would think if it is prepped for a second AC, the existing 'stat would be ready for the second one.
No 4 wires are all you need for the BR a/c since it uses a seperate thermostat. It is set up for one in the LR and one in the BR the thermo wires do not come together anywhere in the trailer as JAYCO doesn't use a zone system.

You will have high fan,.low fan compressor and ground in that wire bundle and it probably terminates near a light switch which is where you pick up your 12v supply for the thermostat.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No 4 wires are all you need for the BR a/c since it uses a seperate thermostat. It is set up for one in the LR and one in the BR the thermo wires do not come together anywhere in the trailer as JAYCO doesn't use a zone system.

You will have high fan,.low fan compressor and ground in that wire bundle and it probably terminates near a light switch which is where you pick up your 12v supply for the thermostat.
I am getting conflicting stories. According to the PPL guy, I need a different hallway stat that I can control both with. But he seemed in a hurry to get off the phone and didn't give much detail.

If one goes in the bedroom, where would it mount? It would have to have wires in the wall somewhere and there are no markings that I see where to put another one. I sure don't want to go cutting a hole in the wall to find no plug.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #47

The wires normally terminate near the slide switch or a light switch. You may need to.fish for it, but it's there. Once you find it you drill your hole close by. Really not difficult. PPL is completely wrong in his assumptions on how JAYCO sets up 2 a/c's.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #48

Mine had separate thermostat for the a/c's. One in the living and one in the bedroom for that one. The one for the bedroom is mounted on the wall that shares the bathroom - the wall across from the foot of the bed. Our bed runs length wise with the rv.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #49

Quote:
The wires normally terminate near the slide switch or a light switch. You may need to.fish for it, but it's there. Once you find it you drill your hole close by. Really not difficult. PPL is completely wrong in his assumptions on how JAYCO sets up 2 a/c's.

Our slide switch is in the main control panel and the light switch for the bedroom is in the hallway side of the bedroom door.

I just called the outfit I got the Eagle from and talked to their service manager. He said if I don't mind controlling each AC separately, just get a ceiling assembly with the controls in it for the bedroom. That sounds like the easiest and cheapest method. But I will keep weighing out the options.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
Mine had separate thermostat for the a/c's. One in the living and one in the bedroom for that one. The one for the bedroom is mounted on the wall that shares the bathroom - the wall across from the foot of the bed. Our bed runs length wise with the rv.
That's the way ours is setup too. I will inspect the wall for any hint of a place where it could go. I know it has a place for a TV on it. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #51

Quote:
He said if I don't mind controlling each AC separately, just get a ceiling assembly with the controls in it for the bedroom. That sounds like the easiest and cheapest method. But I will keep weighing out the options.
It definitely is, but it normally doesn't allow you to connect to the ducting. Why not ask JAYCO where the wire is supposed to be located? Also hopefully someone with the same rig and dual a/c will chime in with a pic.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #52

Quote:
That's the way ours is setup too. I will inspect the wall for any hint of a place where it could go. I know it has a place for a TV on it. Thanks for the feedback.
Wire may be close to the TV 110 outlet or that would be how you could fish for it.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Wire may be close to the TV 110 outlet or that would be how you could fish for it.
The wall just has a sticker there that says its where the TV goes, no outlet which I thought was odd. The sliding door that divides the bedroom and bathroom is behind that wall, so no outlet there either.

But to your previous post, I didn't realize a thermostat in the ceiling kit would not allow for the ducted AC. Damn! Well, that throws that option out.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #54

Quote:
The wall just has a sticker there that says its where the TV goes, no outlet which I thought was odd. The sliding door that divides the bedroom and bathroom is behind that wall, so no outlet there either.
Our Eagle HT has two t-stats and they are independent of each other. The bedroom t-stat will not control the furnace or the other A/C. Our bedroom t-stat is located on the wall nearest the foot of the bed and the same wall that the TV is on. There is a light switch directly above and slightly to the right of the t-stat.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Our Eagle HT has two t-stats and they are independent of each other. The bedroom t-stat will not control the furnace or the other A/C. Our bedroom t-stat is located on the wall nearest the foot of the bed and the same wall that the TV is on. There is a light switch directly above and slightly to the right of the t-stat.
I just looked at your bedroom/bathroom floorplan and it is exactly like ours. But unfortunately our light switch is in the hallway. I suppose I could pull it off and look around, but can't imagine putting a thermostat for the bedroom in the hallway.

I will surf the net for a year and model like ours and see if I can find pics of one with dual air. Maybe I will get lucky and find one and see where they put the 'stat.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #56

SeventyGTX,

There is a cheap device that will help you find the exact wire location without cutting into the wall,

Do a search for a "fox & hound"
Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
SeventyGTX,

Here is a cheap device that will help you find the exact wire location without cutting into the wall,

Thank you! That must be the tool the service tech at the dealer I got it at was talking about when I called him a while ago.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #58

Quote:
I suppose I could pull it off and look around, but can't imagine putting a thermostat for the bedroom in the hallway.
Yeah, that would be dumb. Pull the wall switch, the t-stat wire may share the same "wall space" but could be pulled from the bedroom wall.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #59

Add the second ac. You will be thankful.
Mgkramer963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #60

Quote:
Is there an antenna connection on that wall? Also you should be able to look between the door and the wall since they don't finish both sides of the wall. The t-stat wire may be visible.

I said it normally does not work with the ducting, you may be able to modify it. Call Air-Xcel and talk to them vs PPL The issue is you can't close off the outlet vents 100% as is done with the ducted assembly.