Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2020, 11:08 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
DW is concerned about getting sick on the road, possibly having to go to the Hospital for maybe 2 weeks then getting back home. Until things calm down a quite a bit we’re staying put.
Probably better. It's cold, and snowing here tonight. Not looking to warm up any, for a while. I'm guessing you're heading in this direction?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #22

It's a personal choice but my opinion is GO! We had reservations at a local KOA for Easter weekend but the campground delayed their opening. We are camping in May at 2 separate locations. We pretty much keep to ourselves when we camp anyway and don't use any facilities so as long as the places are open we are going...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
Friends have a seasonal site in central Wisconsin. Their campground which usually opens on April 15th is closed until April 24th as well as others in several surrounding counties. We have several reservations at WI state parks this summer and I hoping we'll at least be able to go camping in late summer.
I've heard that a number of counties have enacted their own restrictions. We have reservations at a private CG in mid-May in Door County. So far DC has not closed the private CGs. They don't open until the second weekend in May and the owners should be back there now from wintering in FL. So I'm keeping a close eye on things.

The real concern isn't that camping is or is not social distancing. Its the fact that if a lot of people get sick while visiting a rural area the local hospitals don't have enough beds to handle it. A lot of these smaller hospitals only have a handful of critical care beds.

EDIT: Just found out Door County closed all CGs until May 15th. We're supposed to go up on the 14th. Hoping we can still get up there on the 15th. Also read that Manitowoc County did the same thing.

https://www.nbc26.com/news/coronavir...ty-campgrounds
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygal382 View Post
Some campgrounds here in CT are open and allowing people in. There are restrictions such as no public bathrooms and no group activities. We are waiting to hear if ours is opening up as scheduled or postponing opening day. If we do go up it will likely not be for long, it will be hard to keep the kids from wanting to gather with their friends and stay off the playground equipment.
Update on Connecticut: the current COVID-19 mandate considers campgrounds non-essential. The mandate is in effect until May 20th. That means campgrounds must remain closed, I can only assume the exception to that is permanent sites where people actually reside all year, I'm not sure about seasonal site users.
Massachusetts has now informed it's campground owners they are not permitted to open at all, even to seasonal members until the mandate is lifted or reduced.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #25

Campgrounds are opening. Is it okay to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
It's a personal choice but my opinion is GO! We had reservations at a local KOA for Easter weekend but the campground delayed their opening. We are camping in May at 2 separate locations. We pretty much keep to ourselves when we camp anyway and don't use any facilities so as long as the places are open we are going...

I’d agree with this. I don’t know that I’d be comfortable traveling too far from home at this point. Where I’m at for example, we’re only 3.5 hrs from home. If one of us started to feel bad, we’d just pack up and head back. Again, no fuel, food, or bathroom stops along the way.

It all comes down to what’s available and your own personal risk assessment. I really thought this trip out. Played the tape from beginning to end. Not just thinking of me, but who I’d encounter along the way and how I could reduce any chances of myself infecting others.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Not just thinking of me, but who I’d encounter along the way and how I could reduce any chances of myself infecting others.

Thank you!!!

That's something that's usually overlooked.

If some percentage (8, 10, 25%) of our population are asymptomatic carriers, then killing someone else becomes a real concern. Or should be on our minds.

I'm not advocating Bunker In, Hunker Down.
Unless one is at-risk, immuno-compromised.

I am advocating that we *think* about how our actions affect others in our community.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #27

One important aspect of getting in your RV and getting out of town is to get away from the idiots. Some states consider RV travel to be the same as sheltering in place, especially if you are self contained and don't need to use public restrooms, etc.
dcs500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #28

Wisconsin extended Stay at Home to May 26th. Door County in turn extended CG closures until May 26th as I suspect many other counties in WI will also do. Very disappointed but nothing I can do about it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Probably better. It's cold, and snowing here tonight. Not looking to warm up any, for a while. I'm guessing you're heading in this direction?
Giving it some thought but the summer home in upstate is 2,200 miles give or take. DW doesn’t want to sleep in a hotel right now or the back of the Touareg ( I would). Traveling by plane is also a no go at this time so I’ll just lay low for now.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #30
Site Team

If there's anything I can do for you from this side, feel free to ask. It's only a couple of hours away.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #31

Quote:
We’re camping now at a state park. Paid online. Zero contact with staff, full hookup. Only got out of the truck once on the way here and that was to use the restroom in the trailer. People are keeping their distance.

Attachment 57856

Look like a great place there I wish we were close there.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:37 AM   #32

Utah Restrictions;
National Parks are closed.
Gov has imposed restrictions in state parks; only permitted if you are camping in a state park in your local country to try and prevent regional spread.
We had a reservation for a state park (in our county), but due to lack of technology, they canceled all reservations and requesting folks re-book via phone so they can validate residency.
Private Camping appears to be open without any restrictions, we may be at KOA this weekend testing out our new-to-us Jayco Hybrid.
cromrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #33

I'd would not hesitate to go as for the most part camping in itself is natural social distancing. Unfortunately that was not the case here in Indiana as it was common to see 20-25 people gathered around a campfire so the governor closed the campgrounds and rightly so. I read somewhere that DNR had stopped and asked people to observe social distancing and limit gatherings to 10 or less and the reply was "but we're all family". So apparently that guy knew where all 24 people had been, who they came in contact with and what surfaces they touched in the last 2 weeks. I think not as some people just don't get it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #34

I came across this article yesterday in my news feed. It's an interview with a Xanterra executive regarding when they think they will open the properties they manage within the National Park. Xanterra manages almost all the restaurants and lodges for NPS west of the Mississippi.

When will NPS Parks reopen

Even though they state a specific date - 5/22 - it's clear that it will certainly vary by location and park, so ultimately the question remains. Given that some states are now extending the stay at home orders well into May I'm skeptical. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than yet again disappointed....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #35

Quote:
We’re camping now at a state park. Paid online. Zero contact with staff, full hookup. Only got out of the truck once on the way here and that was to use the restroom in the trailer. People are keeping their distance.

Attachment 57856
Where is this ? Reminds of Bob Sandlin SP.
We will only be " camping " @ the " poohbear rv resort " in beautiful Rosewood, Tx for a while. I've mentioned my Wife's weakened immune system so we will be dragging behind on getting back to the new normal
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #36

It was Robbers Cave State Park. Great for social distancing.

Tonight we’re at Lake Murray. Not good for social distancing. Lots of extended family groups here. People all over and tightly packed. We nearly left. Instead, we’re just staying in. And teenagers walking through our site to fish. One of my greatest irritants. Only one night thankfully.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:12 AM   #37

We go to the Joint Base Cape Cod a lot as we love the campground and it's only about a 45 minute drive from home. Called them the other day to see if/when they were planning to open and they have no idea - FEMA has staged all of their trailers at the RV park and nobody has any idea when they will move.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #38

I’m from Western New York and left just before the lockdown. We booked two months at the KOA in Decatur Alabama on Wheeler lake. Only $550 a month and I’m right on the lake. Launch my Kayaks right from my site.

On the drive down we didn’t go into a single store. Slept at a Cracker Barrel and all meals and bathroom breaks happened in the trailer. I used disposable gloves to fuel up.

I’d highly recommend it. Great for our mental and physical well being. Outside all day enjoying much nicer weather.
Jvanderlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #39

Thumbs up

Wuhan was locked down for 7 weeks (Time mag article 4/20). We are at about 4 weeks into it. Summer RV'ing doesn't look good IMHO. Stay at home stop the spread. There is a reason they call this virus the "Boomer Remover". Stay well stay safe.
gvanderbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #40

Cross country trip

I also live in upstate NY, never to be confused with NYC. We are planning a cross country trip and have had reservations booked for a couple of months. We are planning to start in mid - July and return at the end of August. Destinations include Monument Valley, Moab, Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, upper peninsula Michigan, and back toward home. Right now we are just wait and see.
Swcole99 is offline   Reply With Quote