Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
This is a planned stoppage...whenever it ends the demand will still be somewhat what is was.. the service industry will be hurt the most, but the gov is going to be paying most companies if they use the money to fully pay their employees. Most of the country is not effected nearly as much as a few areas. If we limit movement within the country much of it can get back to work.

What is changing is, campgrounds are closing bath houses and common areas...they have always been a PIA to keep clean and now the cost is overwhelming. You will see more campgrounds stop tent camping and going to only self contained RV's. It will allow them to eliminate bath houses, thus reducing much of the cost and aggravation of running a campground. More will add more cabins as they produce more income. I think the idea of traveling with your own bedroom and bath room will still be desirable, hotels motels etc will be hurt. Cruising may never come back totally. The way the cruise industry is handling this is driving people away. We enjoy cruising, had a cruise planned for Alaska at the end of May...Had to pay in full in February...they are not cancelling any cruise until the day it is to leave, even tho Canada has closed ports to any ships over 500 passengers until July. Cruise companies want to keep your $$ as long as they can, saying credit should be issued within 60 AFTER the cruise is offically cancelled...which they do only on the day it was to leave. I for one, will never take another cruise with any company that had that policy.

Life will change, but, in the most part, a year from now this will all be just a memory...we want what we want when we want it, sadly that's not going to change.
Quote:
Perhaps they are treating travel agents better than direct customers. We cancelled our cruise about the first of March. We have yet to get a single dollar credited to our CC, even tho our account with Princess has shown a negative balance for over 3 weeks, and almost daily they say you should see the credit on your card within 24 hours...they lie, bottom line. I predict you may see class action law suites because of this.

To add to my comments, you will see many companies bring back production from over seas, China for sure. Immelt, GE CEO, while a member of Obama's job board, moved all of GE medical instrument production to China, and when asked about it just laughed... it cost over 1000 direct jobs in the US and now we see how short sited that was. It's not just about jobs, but about national security.
Quote:
So kudos to the cruise industry by amending policies and allowing clients time and piece of mind as well as 100+% return on monies spent.

That is only partly true. Yes you can cancel much closer to the day of departure, BUT they are not giving you your money back...they give you a portion (25%) and then give FCC...future cruise credits.. They keep your money for a year? And you have to pay whatever is the going rate at that time.. When THEY can't 'full fill the contract they are do zero of my money.. I didn't cancel the trip, they did. As your aware no foreign flagged ship can sail only within the US it has to stop at a foreign port by law...leaving from Vancouver doesn't allow any options when Canada has closed all ports to any ship with more than 500 passengers. Going to try and get a waiver and leave from Seattle? The center of the virus? The CDC today posted they do not recommend anyone take a cruise as the ships are incubators for illness. They have built ships too large with too many people it too small an area to be safe. Our first cruise on Princess was the original Island Princess from Love boat fame... it held about 600 passengers...a more controllable number of people than today's 3000, or 4000 passenger ships...

Their are still cruise ships on the seas that can't find a place to disembark passengers, no one wants them because of illness's. Large unmanageable ships may be from a time that has passed. They found the virus lived for 17 days after the passengers disembarked...so your living in the cesspool that two loads of passengers left before you...no thank you... I'll stay with my RV. We already dropped plans for a 28 day cruise to the South pacific next year... not worth the chance of being at their mercy...read some of the reports of those that were trapped on board the two princess ships....it was horrendous.[/QUOTE]

Totally from the DW after my short rant, as this is her area of expertise, but to me it sounds like you should have utilized a travel agent and if you did, it sounds like you need to find a better one...

I believe you are misinformed as Princess has only mandated cancellations through May 10th. Those that were cancelled by Princess, not by passengers preemptively, are afforded 100%refund + future cruise voucher OR 100% future cruise credit+ 50% bonus credit. You get to select...but I wouldn't think your Princess Alaska sailing was modified this early in May. See below--
Attached Thumbnails
9AF54454-C41A-45DB-A323-59E77986BE90.jpeg  
Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #62
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Perhaps they are treating travel agents better than direct customers. We cancelled our cruise about the first of March. We have yet to get a single dollar credited to our CC, even tho our account with Princess has shown a negative balance for over 3 weeks, and almost daily they say you should see the credit on your card within 24 hours...they lie, bottom line. I predict you may see class action law suites because of this.
I'm in that same boat. We had a cruise in May cancelled by Princess, and I filed for a refund instead of a credit the beginning of the month. Since I have no idea if they will survive this, getting my money back was a better choice than a credit. I'll worry about rebooking when the dust settles.

But, I haven't received my CC credit either, and I have to make the CC payment at the end of the month. I don't want to pay off the cruise now, only to get the full credit next month. Princess cruises hasn't lived up to their quick refund promise.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #63

Quote:
What is changing is, campgrounds are closing bath houses and common areas...they have always been a PIA to keep clean and now the cost is overwhelming. You will see more campgrounds stop tent camping and going to only self contained RV's. It will allow them to eliminate bath houses, thus reducing much of the cost and aggravation of running a campground. .
It may allow them to reduce the number of bathrooms... but not eliminate them all. Most RV Parks must abide by the Health Department Regulations that have a requirement for Rest Room facilities.

In many cases, if all of the rest rooms are closed, then the park would not be in compliance and required to close.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Another thought, when things get tight, people start selling play toys and luxury items first, to generate some cash.

I expect to see a whole bunch of used rigs come on the market in the near future, along with tons of motorcycles, quads, boats, etc.....
I see a lot of RV's parked at the local auto auction site already.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #65

Here’s a small bit of help for the industry. Or some local dealer at least.

Dallas to spend $1.5 million on RVs for first responders

https://fox4news.com/news/dallas-to-...rst-responders
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote