Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2022, 01:07 PM   #1

24V from Jayco 19RD WFCO-8955??

Hi, another head scratcher for me.

2014 Jayco 19RD with a WF-8955PEC converter. Has two Duracell Deep Cycle 12V in parallel. I have a cut-off switch and I disconnect from camper on Positive side when on shore power and use a battery tender to keep batteries topped up. Same setup I have had for years and no issues for years.

Just recently when I came back from a trip and stopped for a couple days at another home, I plugged into shorepower and no cutoff, so it was connected as it was originally designed to, with power converter charging batteries. My error, it was raining when we stopped and I forgot to follow standard practice. But for a couple days, I did not think it would have any real negative impact. As we were planning to leave, I noticed a sulfur smell, battery was warm/hot, and batteries were bubbling. I disconnected from shore power and brought it home.

At home, put my voltmeter on and when I plug into shore power, the voltage at the battery terminals starts climbing immediately up to 16V and higher (did not want to see how high so I shut off at 16V) and the bubbling starts immediately. When I disconnect from shore, it drops back down. I disconnected both batteries and brought them in the garage to add distilled water and put on a Battery Tender. Hopefully they are not permanently toasted.

With batteries removed, I then measured at the cables at front of camper with shore power on and get almost 24V?! I checked a couple times, same thing. Turned off converter breaker and back on, same reading. Next, I checked at my LP/CO detector: same reading (which is likely why that detector had started to act weird about the same time as we noticed the sulfur smell). Finally, popped the front cover off the converter and tried there, same reading, almost 24V.

So, what would make the converter suddenly start pushing out 24V instead of 12V and what can I do to fix or does the whole thing need to be replaced?

I reached out to Arterra (WFCO) but since out of warranty, I am not sure if they will give advice.

thanks

Bob

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
boblanglois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #2

Stupid question, but are the batteries hooked up in series somehow??
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #3

Parallel

Definitely parallel. And they are not even in it now when I’m measuring.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #4

Run the batteries down to 12 volts with a 12V device that isn't too sensitive to overvoltage, like a 12V incandescent light. Then see how it acts to recharging to 12.8 Volts and with water levels at normal. Maybe you will get lucky.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:29 PM   #5

Have you researched known problems with converters putting out too much voltage? I would not use that converter connected to anything until you get it checked out. It sounds to me that your converter's voltage regulation has failed. I would be concerned about control boards on the refrigerator, hot water heater, etc being damaged by over-voltage.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #6

Simple answer - if your converter is putting out 24 volts it is bad. No ifs, ands, or buts. If you look at the manufacturer's specs the voltage output range is a max of 14.6. It shouldn't matter whether a battery is connected or not.

You risk damaging any 12 volt appliance connected if it is putting 24 volts out.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #7

Thank you for the quick replies. I have it shut off and hope it has not damaged anything else.

I see that WFCO makes a replacement MBA that looks simple enough to install but perhaps now is the time to upgrade to a better system? Any suggestions?

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
Old 10-20-2022, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblanglois View Post
I see that WFCO makes a replacement MBA that looks simple enough to install but perhaps now is the time to upgrade to a better system? Any suggestions?
I've always been partial to Progressive Dynamics converters.

You might check to see what options there are at BestConverter.com.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblanglois View Post
I plugged into shorepower and no cutoff, so it was connected as it was originally designed to, with power converter charging batteries. My error, it was raining when we stopped and I forgot to follow standard practice.

Can you please elaborate what your "error" was and what is "standard practice" here you are describing?