Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #1

Jayco Warranty useless?

I have been talking with my local jayco dealer here in Southern California about some repairs. He’s telling me he can’t work on my coach because I didn’t by my coach from him and jayco won’t pay him for warranty repairs. He did say he could do it for cash! What a racket!

Anyone else deal with this before?
N Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Saban View Post
I have been talking with my local jayco dealer here in Southern California about some repairs. He’s telling me he can’t work on my coach because I didn’t by my coach from him and jayco won’t pay him for warranty repairs. He did say he could do it for cash! What a racket!

JAYCO will pay him, he just doesn't want to do the work since he made no money on the sale. Many dealers will not service a rig they didn't sell, or they put you at the very end of the line as they need to take care of those who bought there.

Dealers are independent and not franchised since they sell multiple brands.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:24 AM   #3

It is a racket and it's what many dealer use as a way to scare buyers into a sale.
Thing is most MFG's will let you use a mobile tech if needed. I would take a better sale before I would succumb to dealer scare tactics. But I do all my own work unless it's something I can't fix, which not very much. Makes owning an RV a lot less stressful if one can do most of the repairs themselves.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #4

The manufacturer set the price they will pay for warranty work. And it is not much. The techs don't care to be paid in shekels. Warranty work is a loser for any dealer, rv, car, truck....
The mechanics black book of labor rates should be located in the libraries fiction section.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

If not mentioned above, a dealership for cars near me added to their profit margin by charging customers full retail and then sending in warranty claims for the same work.

Not saying this one was doing it. But they do get better rates and may add on items that Jayco would never pay for.
On the other hand, Jayco would never pay for my broken down while new mattress and local dealer who did not sell me told me it would be a 6 month wait to fix my leaking window (so I fixed it myself).
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
The manufacturer set the price they will pay for warranty work. And it is not much. The techs don't care to be paid in shekels. Warranty work is a loser for any dealer, rv, car, truck....
The mechanics black book of labor rates should be located in the libraries fiction section.
Thats not true with autos.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...t%20the%20case.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Tell me you didn't do a search without telling me you didn't do a search.

This is the reality of buying a camper, dealer support is not like it is with cars/trucks. If that particular dealer won't work on it, find one that will. Jayco will also authorize a mobile RV tech to come to your location.

Much ado about nothing.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:

Someone is lying here. Either your Jayco dealer or you.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
That is "after warranty" service. Also why RV dealers like regular service work vs warranty work.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
You are quoting service work. I stand by what I said about waranty work. Both of my boys work as wrenches at auto dealers. The mechanics the dealer wants gone end up with most of the warranty work. Nobody makes money on warranty work.
When you take your car in for service out of warranty, they will try every trick in the book to sell more than you really need. It's called commission. Everybody from the service manager to the oil change monkey makes them, including the cut the dealership keeps. That is how you become service manager, by selling the most additional work and creating the most income for the dealer.
Don't get me started about the 16k market rate adjustment over sticker for a new truck at Butler Chevrolet, or the 1k mra I paid on a new Corolla at Seger Toyota 7 months ago. Pure greed. I think my boys have better knowledge about what goes on in their dealerships than some pencil pushing outsider from Edmonds who did their research from who knows where. Nowhere did that article mention the shortage of popular vehicles on the dealer lots we have all seen or the percentage of warranty work.If you don't have new vehicles to sell, of course you have to lean on the service department to do PROFITABLE work.
Example. If a plastic piece in your transmission breaks under warranty, they replace the broken plastic piece,nothing more, nothing less. Out of warranty, they quote you for a new trans for $$$$.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #11

We were refused warranty work by a closer Jayco dealer, their first question was "Did you buy it here?" Also refused by Jayco when nearly all of the kitchen slide out exterior trim screws snapping off and slide out binding when 2000 miles from my dealer. I asked about a mobile tech, they said "No, a dealer must check it over, you simply can't drive new screws in" Which is EXACTLY what my dealership did after pulling it home 2000 miles while wondering if the slide would literally fall out. Going back in for slide issues their band-aid fix did not correct as soon as the dealer can supposedly get parts, 2 MONTHS for parts I could order directly from Lippert and have delivered in about 1 WEEK....

For me, lesson learned, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. My dealership has very poor reviews on their service. Consider their service record when buying, and avoid the crappy ones or you wont be happy.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #12

On the flip side my dealer has fixed minor warranty issues while I waited and worked with me on my tight deadline to fix an issue out of warranty. They even spent forty-five minutes with me on the phone trying to trouble shoot an issue I was having while on vacation.

If I buy another Jayco it will be from them.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
On the flip side my dealer has fixed minor warranty issues while I waited and worked with me on my tight deadline to fix an issue out of warranty. They even spent forty-five minutes with me on the phone trying to trouble shoot an issue I was having while on vacation.

Similar experiences for me. That is why I used the same dealer for almost 40 years. Loyalty does make a difference. When I would buy I was told, "I start at cost for you and work up not MSRP and work down" and he did.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Similar experiences for me. That is why I used the same dealer for almost 40 years. Loyalty does make a difference. When I would buy I was told, "I start at cost for you and work up not MSRP and work down" and he did.
You both have experienced what the rest of us is known as the "Exception to the rule"... And I will be the first to admit that there are some great RV dealerships that provide great service to us... But they are not what the rest of us can consider our "Go-To" place to get our stuff fixed under the JAYCO DEALER NETWORK WARRANTY because there isn't a dealer network that will work on OUR Jayco (Like a Chevy, Ford or Toyota)

That is especially true when we/you are 100's of miles from our/your home-location where we/you bought the RV with the Jayco warranty. 40 years of loyalty to a dealer a few miles from home, seems worthless to another dealer 600 miles away, often times under the same business name.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #15

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
40 years of loyalty to a dealer a few miles from home, seems worthless to another dealer 600 miles away, often times under the same business name.
I think it does help since they want to keep you happy. When I had to get warranty work done while traveling my dealer was the first point of contact. They would call Jayco and then tell me who to call in order to get it resolved. Once was a stop at a dealer and for the other two major issues (a/c) I used a mobile tech. Jayco reimbursed me for one and paid the tech direct for the other.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #16

If it has a warranty, they should honor it. They have to get approval through Jayco and they'll get paid. Warranty work may not pay, but it's constant.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:03 PM   #17

It’s true. I traveled several states away to buy my Whitehawk because nobody else had the model I wanted. The dealer lied to me and told me I could get warranty service from “any Jayco dealer.” I had several warranty issues when I got the thing home and 6 dealers within 150 miles of me refused to help. I fixed everything myself at substantial expense. I submitted a bad satisfaction survey to Jayco about the lack of warranty help. To their credit someone from Jayco called me. She said that I should call them and give them a chance to fix it next time. I will call if something breaks under warranty and see what happens.
nfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #18
Site Team

My experience is yes it was worth it. My rig went in for several warranty issues, nothing more serious than a slide out motor but all were handled to my satisfaction. All work was done or managed by my selling dealer.

Before we left the lot, we made a list of things that were obvious to us and they were corrected before we left. I would not have left there with something wrong. Some were minor but they were corrected each and every one.

This was 11 years ago and things do change!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #19

I have had 2 issues and was told by Jayco they won't send a mobile service out, so I contacted one myself and after several days of arguing with Jayco, they both have been approved and worked. Both times I was told to take it to a dealer, but I refused to do so and made them honor their warranty.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #20

I feel that the warranty is useless simply because most of the dealerships out there are piss poor in their customer service and in their quality of work. A manufacturer warranty is only as good as the dealerships that uphold it, and unfortunately these days, they mostly all suck.