Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Adding quick connect

Hello, I thought I would make a new thread since the one I was commenting on was rather old.

My question is, i have this distribution block located right under my trailer, about exactly where I would like a quick connect to go.

I purchased the following, and am thinking I can just take the plug out, use the reducer and go straight into the extra quick connect valve fitting that came with my hose. Also, wife is out at the trailer right now, I wont be heading out until the end of the week. If the hoses going into the dist. block are 3/8, can I assume the fitting will be 3/8? That's why I bought the reducer, to go from 3/8 to 1/4 on the quick connect valve.

mBuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Site Team

If you measured the diameter of the plug, it may be 3/8", but it's actually called a 1/4 National Pipe Thread (NPT). The main line back to it will be larger than 1/4 NPT.

It sounds by your description, you're putting a quick connect right on the distribution block, then connecting the hose to that, and running it out from under the trailer?

Are you going to take the hose off every time when you break camp?

Just wondering why not just attach the hose to the block, secure it up under the trailer, and use the quick connect on the end of it, leaving the hose attached to the trailer permanently?

Watch that you only have 1/4 NPT fittings, and that nothing you bought is 1/4 inverted flare fittings. You may also get some gas pipe thread compound. (NOT Teflon tape). That stuff is used on gas pipe, where the threads do the sealing. Inverted flare fittings do not use anything. They seal at the flare surfaces.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
If you measured the diameter of the plug, it may be 3/8", but it's actually called a 1/4 National Pipe Thread (NPT). The main line back to it will be larger than 1/4 NPT.

It sounds by your description, you're putting a quick connect right on the distribution block, then connecting the hose to that, and running it out from under the trailer?

Are you going to take the hose off every time when you break camp?

Just wondering why not just attach the hose to the block, secure it up under the trailer, and use the quick connect on the end of it, leaving the hose attached to the trailer permanently?
hmm, not sure, I just really would prefer to take the hose off each time haha. Maybe I am weird. My underbelly is enclosed and I'm not sure how i would secure it up there where it is easily accessible to pull out for the grill.

I didnt measure the plug, but it says 3/8" on the tube so i assumed plug size was 3/8"

Watch that you only have 1/4 NPT fittings, and that nothing you bought is 1/4 inverted flare fittings. You may also get some gas pipe thread compound. (NOT Teflon tape). That stuff is used on gas pipe, where the threads do the sealing. Inverted flare fittings do not use anything. They seal at the flare surfaces.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Team

I think I understand now, the quick connect is easily reached to attach and disconnect the hose to. I was thinking the junction block was a ways under the trailer. My bad.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #5

Oh I see what your saying. Yes its very easily accessible. My main concern is if the 3/8" to 1/4" reducer will fit. The current propane hoses on there are 3/8" tubing so I'm just assuming that plug is 3/8"
Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Even if you do need a different fitting or two, they are very common at auto parts stores, hardware, and big box stores. If the pic you posted is of your TT, my eyes see the brass plug is 1/4 NPT. I am only assuming the ends of the hose you ordered are the same. That should make the installation pretty easy.

Don't go crazy with the pipe dope. Apply sparingly, leaving the first couple of threads uncoated. That'll ensure none of it gets into the flow of the propane, and buggers up the grill regulator. I've installed a lot of black iron gas line in houses, and that's what's used on it to seal the threads.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #7

thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I will head out to home depot and get the 1/4 to 1/4 connector just in case since once I get to the campsite I will be there until we leave
Old 08-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mBuxx View Post
thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I will head out to home depot and get the 1/4 to 1/4 connector just in case since once I get to the campsite I will be there until we leave
Happy camping. Please let us all know how you made out on the mod. I'm sure there are others who may want to do the same thing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #9

Ah unfortunately the mod will have to wait. That plug is really in there. I’ll also have to figure out how to mount that distribution block a lot better. The screws holding it on are rusted out like the rest of them on the trailer.. one broke off as soon as I touched it.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
Site Team

That's too bad, but I've had things like that happen, too. After all, I live in NYS, where the road crews LOVE to spread salt in the winter.

Squirt the plug threads with a rust penetrant like PB Blaster and let it sit. Do that several times, then if you can anchor the block well enough, use a 6 point socket so it doesn't round off on you. What ever you do, don't even think of using heat on it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

Well we got home today and I finished her up.

I drilled out the holes for the previous self tapping screws and added stainless bolts to hold the distribution block in place, much more secure now.

Ended up needed the quick connect fitting, 1/4” to 1/4” pine connected and some pipe dope. Tested with soapy water and all is good.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BBvDBDz
https://imgur.com/gallery/nWB6ZFg
https://imgur.com/gallery/mKNHWzK
Old 08-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Well we got home today and I finished her up.

I drilled out the holes for the previous self tapping screws and added stainless bolts to hold the distribution block in place, much more secure now.

Ended up needed the quick connect fitting, 1/4” to 1/4” pine connected and some pipe dope. Tested with soapy water and all is good.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BBvDBDz
https://imgur.com/gallery/nWB6ZFg
https://imgur.com/gallery/mKNHWzK
That looks really good. You're cooking now!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello, I thought I would make a new thread since the one I was commenting on was rather old.

My question is, i have this distribution block located right under my trailer, about exactly where I would like a quick connect to go.

I purchased the following, and am thinking I can just take the plug out, use the reducer and go straight into the extra quick connect valve fitting that came with my hose. Also, wife is out at the trailer right now, I wont be heading out until the end of the week. If the hoses going into the dist. block are 3/8, can I assume the fitting will be 3/8? That's why I bought the reducer, to go from 3/8 to 1/4 on the quick connect valve.
I will just say, that the trailer usually has the female connector with a cutoff valve. Like the item on the left here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	52397
Maybe that is what you have planned, but I didn't see this item in the original pictures.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I will just say, that the trailer usually has the female connector with a cutoff valve. Like the item on the left here:
Attachment 52397
Maybe that is what you have planned, but I didn't see this item in the original pictures.
Yes that is what I had planned . The hose actually came with and extra female on/off so it saved my from purchasing one separately.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #15

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That's too bad, but I've had things like that happen, too. After all, I live in NYS, where the road crews LOVE to spread salt in the winter.

Squirt the plug threads with a rust penetrant like PB Blaster and let it sit. Do that several times, then if you can anchor the block well enough, use a 6 point socket so it doesn't round off on you. What ever you do, don't even think of using heat on it.
You mean don’t put heat on a gas connection? 🤣
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
You mean don’t put heat on a gas connection? 🤣
Well, you know, you can actually try it once...…….only once.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD