Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Any 38bhds owners out there ?

Recently ordered a 2018 jayflight 38bhds . Just looking for some owners to share their input or experiences with this model. We have had several jaycos in the past are making the move back after a terrible Forest River experience.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #2

Looking to order same model very soon. Done alot of research but going to follow this and see what else I can learn.
groundhog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #3

Ours is to be delivered sometime in January . We tossed around a few other brands but decided on the jayco from past experience . We hope that the quality is still there . Hope there is some other owners out there to chime in .
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

I assume y’all are setting those ‘38s up as seasonal campers?

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
I assume y’all are setting those ‘38s up as seasonal campers?

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
That is a accurate assumption at least for myself .
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

Anyone ?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #7

I have a 2015 that I bought in June from previous owner. It's on our lake lot permanently (or st least for a while). First RV I ever owned.

Over all we like it & its serves our needs.

Some minor complaints as follows:
- power inverter fan is kind of loud...louder than the fridge.
- RV has more walking/moving "shake" than we expected. Added 4 extra scissor jacks which helped a bit but not totally
- kitchen table wobbly
DaveK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. Ours will be setup permanently as well . Is your trailer equipped with the thermal package ? If so how do you rate its performance in hot & cold temps ?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
Thanks for the info. Ours will be setup permanently as well . Is your trailer equipped with the thermal package ? If so how do you rate its performance in hot & cold temps ?
Unfortunately no thermal package. I'm going up tomorrow and will will be watching our first Arctic air of season which will be rolling in Friday. I will evaluate things for signs of freezing...if sketchy, I may just winterize it and head home. I have a shed which houses the water tank & electric panel so I will need to drain those water lines too.

Its still all a learning curve for me. I have pex tubing in rv & shed but think the fittings are the worry. I think you need a few days of below freezing but who really knows.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #10

Keep us posted please. Should be ordering mine in the next couple of weeks. Do you have one ac unit or two ? And how was the July heat ?
Old 11-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog72 View Post
Keep us posted please. Should be ordering mine in the next couple of weeks. Do you have one ac unit or two ? And how was the July heat ?
One AC unit. Due to our ****ty weather (Update NY) this summer, I never had the need to run the AC. Previous owner said it's "ice cold" though. I turned it on a few times to just make sure it worked...seemed to be fine.

I'm not sure what has changed for the 2018 model year but my 2015 model had 2 options as far as the main tv next to the double sliding glass doors. One option is where the tv is mounted on the wall & and wall unit is flat and only about 4" inches out. That leaves 2nd window mostly unobstructed.

My unit (bought used but like brand new) was what was available. The version I have has a corner tv unit that covers the entire 2nd glass "door". Since we have it on our lake lot, I was thinking about removing the entire corner unit to open back up the entire view through both doors.

Not trying to change your mind on ordering new but my local dealer was selling the 2017 model for $26,995 plus tax. I found my 2015 which was literally like brand new...prev owner was neat freak. I got it for $19k even. Since I have zero plans of ever hauling it, I will never register which will nail me for sales tax. In NY, I can file for a title only which I think is like $60.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #12

We ordered ours with the thermal package & second a/c. Figured if I need it fine if not it was cheaper to get it now than later . We searched all summer till we decided on the Jayco. Ordered the 2018 the way we wanted it, Elite pkg,15k a/c,2nd a/c,thermal pkg,hide a bed,king bed & slide awnings for $28,855. Now if we can could only get a production date!
Old 11-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #13

So I woke up this morning to the arctic cold & wind that I knew was coming. So I was like let me make my coffee, then get to it. Turned the sink on & only a drip. I was like oh crap.

Long story short, the garden hose from my shed froze up along with the metal fittings. Luckily my neighbor had a propane salamander type heater. So I heated shed and drained all the water lines & tank. Then I brought hater to the outside fittings to thraw them so they could drain.

Then I did the RV which couldn't have been easier. It only took 2 gallons of pink antifreeze. I was worried the water lines might have some frozen spots but apparently the rv heat kept them from freezing.

The only thing I got hung up on was how to override my ice maker so it would trigger the filling up with pink. There was a youtube video showing how to use a copper wire to jump the circuit to turn it on but unfortunately mine was different. So I disconnected the line going into the fridge & got pink to at least there. Then I just let fridge ice make run for few hours figuring the natural process should draw pink in. Not sure how much went into fridge lines but I put that in the "hope for the best" category.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #14

Did the inside stay nice and toasty while you slept ? Thanks for the nice information you have shared.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog72 View Post
Did the inside stay nice and toasty while you slept ? Thanks for the nice information you have shared.
Yes it was. Since we have heavy blankets, I turn it down to like 62-3 over night, then higher once I wake up. One thing that is a little annoying is all the condensation that forms on the windows.

But like I often remind friends & family, don't compare the RV to a house but rather to a tent lol
Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #16

Did you get your build date yet ?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

We have not ...still waiting patiently. No big rush since the snow has started falling here in PA.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #18

I have a 2016 38fdds, same as the bhds, but it have a front den rather than a bunk room. I ordered mine with elite, thermal package, single a/c (upgraded to 15k). We opted for the aluminum siding as we wanted the sliding windows vs the frameless tilt type. We took delivery in April of 2016, so we’ve completed 2 full seasons (mid May-mid October). Camper is on a seasonal site and hasn’t moved since delivery. Very happy with this model.

Mods include 8 additional Olympia jack stands along the frame rails.

Memory gel mattress

PVC plumbing to campground septic system.

Built outside shower stall.

20’ deck with resin steps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #19

How do you rate the thermal package ? Any major issues or quirks ?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #20

We use the furnace early/late season and the rig seems to keep inside temperature well. We use the AC a lot during the summer and we find the single 15k unit is plenty to keep the rig cool at our seasonal site on Cape Cod where summer temperatures can approach 90.

Ivy had a couple of issues. Awning had defects in the fabric that I missed during pdi. Also outside shower was plumbed backwards. USB ports under kitchen sink went bad. Furrion dv1200 was replaced under warranty also. My propane regulator went bad.All items addressed onsite by my selling dealer. Currently I have a bad shade in the living room and a clip on the sliding door curtain broke. Both issues will be addressed in the spring.

My only suggestion is to try to work a deal with your dealer for onsite warranty work (for major stuff). We had worked this out prior to purchasing. My Chevy 1500 would not be able to tow this monster in for service.
My warranty ends April of next year, so all repairs will be on me after that.

The GE residential fridge with ice maker is great compared to to RV fridges we’ve had in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk