Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
No I’ve done the math and Sierra 6.2 properly equipped is well within it’s payload capacity but what I am asking for is people’s actual experience which to me is more important. Unfortunately people like you troll this type of posts and think everyone needs a bigger truck and add zero value to the conversation.
And fortunately there's people like me who care enough about our members to add to your request for information in order to prevent bad purchases or towing combinations. It'll cost you your safety and/or money in the end doing something you shouldn't be. There has been much debate about the 28BHBE being towed with a half ton, and the reality is that it is a bunk house, family floor plan. That means that even if the truck can handle the weight of the trailer, you will likely have other people and gear on top of that in the truck which can quickly suck up any half ton's payload. Like others have said, and I will agree with, the length and height of that trailer alone is serious mass and can lead to sketchy scenarios you wouldn't want to be in. You can be within your numbers and still have bad towing manners, and that is why most people including myself recommend against it.

I'm sorry your fragile manhood gets hurt when you hear something you don't like. Must be tough living like that.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Was it the GMC or Chevy with the 6.2 liter engine?
The Chevy and GMC are “Twins”. Only difference is cosmetics. They go down the same assembly line.

Quote:
Thanks as I think you are the only one who read my post. I live in the same area as you so your post is very helpful.
Quote:
No I’ve done the math and Sierra 6.2 properly equipped is well within it’s payload capacity but what I am asking for is people’s actual experience which to me is more important. Unfortunately people like you troll this type of posts and think everyone needs a bigger truck and add zero value to the conversation.
The concern that those “who didn't read your post” have is that there are numerous poeple who have bought a rig that is to much for their truck, or the truck they buy after the trailer purchase isn’t enough. All based on going by the “tow rating” and not any of the other factors that need to be taken into account when towing a rolling brick.

You stated you have done all the math and the rated payload is more than enough. Are you going by the manufactures (GMC or Chevy) “brochure” rated payload, or the actual payload listed in the drivers door jamb of a truck that is equipped like you would want: same cab/bed combo, drivetrain (2wd or 4wd), etc. The “brochure” payload usually only list the max payload for a cab/bed combo, or possibly just the max payload for a base truck.

Also, you may not be aware that the payload for the truck includes all of the following: all occupants in the truck, all cargo (coolers, firewood, bikes, etc), any accessories added after the truck left the assembly line (tonneau cover/ truck topper, step bars, etc), the wdh, and the tt tw. Don’t forget any younger kids will only get bigger, and heavier. And possibly want to take a friend, additional/ larger toys, etc. Also keep an eye on the trucks factory mounted receiver hitch tw rating.

Obviously we don’t know how you will pack (truck or trailer), or what the total family weight is, any added accessories planned, etc. But I would imagine most members here do not want to see a post in 6 months or a year that states, “What HD Truck is the one to buy?” Because the rig combo is not a good combo “on the road”, but a “worked on paper” situation”. Though most of the times it seems its new members who have listened to the salesman and bought a trailer based on the tv tow rating, and now have to large of a rig for their tv as they are way over the payload of the tv.

As for the GM Twins with the 6.2, powerwise it is a beast from everything I have read. My ‘10 Chevy 1500 CCSB 5.3/6spd/3.42 4x4 towed ~7200lbs (truck was actually just over the gvwr, at about 7200lbs itself) without an issue here in Mi. The motor did need to rev at times when climbing, but that’s where the newer motors are designed to make their power, the upper rpms. And the newer (since ‘14) 5.3 & 6.2 motors have even more power, and a possible 8spd trans depending on the motor.

You definitely will want the 6.5’ bed due to the longer wheelbase if you do go with the 1500 for the 28 BHBE due to the trailers overall length. And a very good wdh with integrated sway control.

The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good models. The Reese models (trunnion bar models) allow a little more fine tuning for the hitch head angle vs the Equal-I-Zer. The SC and the 4 way are very similar to each other. While the HA and PP hitch systems are the best, they also weigh ~200lbs.

The Husky CenterLine has good reviews. My buddy has one and has been very happy with it so far. Though it is his first wdh.

The Recurve R6 also seems to have good reviews.

The older Max Tow package added some payload to the truck, not sure if thats still the case. If so, plan on adding the package.

And don’t go with anything less than 1200lb rated wd bars for the tw. Members have posted having a tw of ~950-1200lbs, depending on how and what is loaded, and if you carry water in the fresh tank(s) or not.

Good luck, and hopefully this helps some!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #23

All I have to say it. Watch the video. https://youtu.be/0FsRXjI8W6o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #24

And let's be clear to less advanced users... it does not mean that PP adds 200 lbs to tongue weight. Definitely, PP is heavier than a regular WDH, BUT it adds the length, which in turn reduces tongue weight. I do not know the exact factor, but you can find some reference date online.

Anybody who towed with PP, would not even consider switching to a regular WDH. It is better to be a little bit over the magical manufacturer specs with PP than withing specs with a regular hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
(...). While the HA and PP hitch systems are the best, they also weigh ~200lbs.
(...)
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #25

IMHO a towing discussion limited to a particular engine is, to put it kindly, useless.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
And let's be clear to less advanced users... it does not mean that PP adds 200 lbs to tongue weight. Definitely, PP is heavier than a regular WDH, BUT it adds the length, which in turn reduces tongue weight. I do not know the exact factor, but you can find some reference date online.

Anybody who towed with PP, would not even consider switching to a regular WDH. It is better to be a little bit over the magical manufacturer specs with PP than withing specs with a regular hitch.
But the total weight of the HA or PP (or any wdh for that matter) is added to the tt tw in regards to verifying the trucks receiver hitch tw rating is not exceeded. So the weight of any wdh does need to be taken into account.

How does a HA or PP “reduce tongue weight” due to being longer? If one is to weigh a trailer with a HA or PP at a CAT Scale in the same manner, wouldn’t the tongue mounted assembly actually add to the tt tw? Last I knew anything mounted or on the tongue adds to the tw. So if a scale is placed under the coupler, the mounted assembly would add to the tw.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #27

When we got our Octane in Oct 2013, 11,200 by scale with 1860# tongue weight, we had a 2008 1500 Denali with the 6.2. 5'9" bed, 3.42 axle. Door had 1564 for payload. Added rear leafs, LT E rated tires, using a Husky centerline WD. Pulled it fine except for strong cross winds. Weighted at a cat scale and found the truck with Jason cap, bedslide, normal camp gear in truck, 2 Labrador retrievers, a full tank of gas (26 gal) we were 260# over the payload before hooking up. Added above upgrades to truck, felt safe. Downside with the 6.2 under load, we averaged around 6.5 to 7 mpg driving normal, around 4.5 to 5 into ahead wind. With a 26 gal tank we had to gas up every 130-150 miles max. So from my experience, I would have been ahead putting the upgrade money into the truck I ended up with. To sum it up, the 6.2 will do it. The truck will be over every design spec if you load it up at all. You better get used to pulling into gas stations. All that said, if we only did short local trips (under ~300 mile) I would have kept the underrated truck. Being retired and averaging 15k + year towing, no way with the 1500. FYI we do now use a 2015 GMC 3500HD Denali Duramax, so you could say we went the other way.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #28

IMO you need to measure your actual tongue weight in order to check your payload limits / hitch receiver limits. You can measure the weight in a couple of places: under the jack, coupler or at the end of the stinger, i.e. where the trailer attaches to the tow vehicle. The weight under the jack will be the highest, under the stinger will be the lowest.

Now, the longer the stinger, the lower the tongue weight. Let's assume absurd situation that the stinger is 1 mile long - the tongue weight under such stinger would be negligible, regardless of the weight of the stinger. In such situation would you take the weight under the coupler, stinger or maybe jack to check your specs?

There are more clever people who can calculate how tongue weight changes depending on the length of the hitch / stinger.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ger-44430.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
But the total weight of the HA or PP (or any wdh for that matter) is added to the tt tw in regards to verifying the trucks receiver hitch tw rating is not exceeded. So the weight of any wdh does need to be taken into account.

How does a HA or PP “reduce tongue weight” due to being longer? If one is to weigh a trailer with a HA or PP at a CAT Scale in the same manner, wouldn’t the tongue mounted assembly actually add to the tt tw? Last I knew anything mounted or on the tongue adds to the tw. So if a scale is placed under the coupler, the mounted assembly would add to the tw.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
And fortunately there's people like me who care enough about our members to add to your request for information in order to prevent bad purchases or towing combinations. It'll cost you your safety and/or money in the end doing something you shouldn't be. There has been much debate about the 28BHBE being towed with a half ton, and the reality is that it is a bunk house, family floor plan. That means that even if the truck can handle the weight of the trailer, you will likely have other people and gear on top of that in the truck which can quickly suck up any half ton's payload. Like others have said, and I will agree with, the length and height of that trailer alone is serious mass and can lead to sketchy scenarios you wouldn't want to be in. You can be within your numbers and still have bad towing manners, and that is why most people including myself recommend against it.

I'm sorry your fragile manhood gets hurt when you hear something you don't like. Must be tough living like that.
My manhood is fine, I just like hearing the answer to the question I asked not hearing from people who like to troll posts and get on a soapbox. I have already done the math and it works but that doesn't mean it will work well which is why I was asking. I have heard several people with the 6.2L GMC 1500 say it tows like a 3/4 ton and they would never go back to a 3/4 ton after driving one which I started this thread.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
IMHO a towing discussion limited to a particular engine is, to put it kindly, useless.
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I am curious as to why you think that?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
The 6.2 might be a great engine but there's no way I'd pull a 28BHBE with a 1500. I had a 2008 1500 Silverado and my 6k lb 26BH pushed that truck around, especially on mildly windy days. I hated the way it handled and stopped the camper. Good luck.
I appreciate the feedback and your service. I'm surprised the 26BH pushed your Silverado around. My Ram 1500 tows my X254 like it's not even there.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #32

I was always nervous pulling my trailer with the 1500. Maybe it's was the hitch (Fastway E2 set up by dealer) or the Silverado soft suspension but it was always a 2 hands on the steering wheel experience. The rear end of the truck didn't rebound quickly over big bumps (porpoising) and a mild wind or meeting a semi seemed to really push the camper around. Handling with my 2500 and the same hitch is significant better. The 6.0 and 4.11 gears are also an advantage but the newer 6 speed transmissions significant help the 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 these days.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #33

Standing alone and not considering the multiple factors that should be included in a discussion about towing abilities does little to inform you. Remember the commercial that showed a Toyota pulling the Space Shuttle? Misleading and pointless, right?
Weight capacities, suspension, wheelbase, brakes, hitches, safety and more are equally/more important than the engine.

But you sure have a right to your own concerns.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Standing alone and not considering the multiple factors that should be included in a discussion about towing abilities does little to inform you. Remember the commercial that showed a Toyota pulling the Space Shuttle? Misleading and pointless, right?

Weight capacities, suspension, wheelbase, brakes, hitches, safety and more are equally/more important than the engine.

But you sure have a right to your own concerns.

Especially considering people
We’re towing all over the country with 150-200 hp gas engines, not that long ago.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #35

I towed my 2015 28BHBE for 3 seasons now with my 2008 Nissan Titan XE 5.6L with 1653 lbs of payload. I go slow, 55-60 mph on highways.

Eric, Vilva & Sam (Golden Retriever)
2015 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2021 Nissan Titan XD
maksdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #36

Any one have statistic on accident caused by going over payload capacity of TV? I have seen youtube videos of people going too fast and having sway problems and ended up flipping over. I seen 5th wheel on a big truck flipping due to high wind. I still think was going to fast for condition.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:13 PM   #37

Payload is not that important (I should add - IMO). More important is to keep the weight under the limit of the tires and the axles.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:35 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Payload is not that important (I should add - IMO). More important is to keep the weight under the limit of the tires and the axles.
I rarely agree with you when it comes to these towing threads. However, this is one comment that I do. There are cases where the manufacturers listed GVWR is significantly different than the axle and or tire capacity. Towing or loading a vehicle in that grey area between listed GVWR and the true axle/tire capacity is not not necessarily an unsafe situation. Exceeding those axle ratings is entirely different.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I know that the original poster didn't want this to turn in to a weight discussion. However, I'm not sure how we are to discuss this without thinking of the inherent payload issues with the 1/2 ton segment.

Using your loaded trailer as an example, that 1200# hitch weight would put my wife's 1/2 Ram 1500 crew cab within 200# of the payload rating. We are not the smallest people and I guarantee you that just my family in the truck would put us over the payload rating if we were pulling your trailer as is with no other cargo.

Nobody here is going to doubt the GMC 6.2's ability to pull that trailer. However, unless the GMC has a significant payload rating, a 28BHBE is going to be pushing or exceeding the #'s envelope
Not to mention the weight rating on the OEM receiver, which I believe on the half tons is 1200# with or without a WDH, so no room for error there either.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I rarely agree with you when it comes to these towing threads. However, this is one comment that I do. There are cases where the manufacturers listed GVWR is significantly different than the axle and or tire capacity. Towing or loading a vehicle in that grey area between listed GVWR and the true axle/tire capacity is not not necessarily an unsafe situation. Exceeding those axle ratings is entirely different.

My caveat here, is that the frame, shocks, springs, and other suspension parts have load limits too. While I wouldn’t have any issues loading any 2500 down to the max axle rating, it’s dangerous on many other platforms.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote