Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
I did not take the measurement yet with the WDH not engaged. Only engaged, and then not hooked up are the measurements I have.

Good tips on the bars, right now I have to raise the tongue a little but not much to engage the bars. I can place them up on the brackets by hand without the tool.

From where my fill point and low drain lines are it appears my tanks are at the same location as yours ( I also have 80 gallons). My waste tank is also at the very rear of the trailer. I am about to call to see about the size of the washers or if they can send me some. How many washers did you say you have installed?
Those really are the important measurements. Like goducks says, you want to get that front fender as close to where it was unloaded as you can. It doesn't sound like from your description you're getting enough tension on the bars.

I don't have the same hitch as you, so my number of washers is irrelevant. I'm running 6 though IIRC, FWIW. I'm running a Fastway E2 with round bars at this time. It's basically similar in many ways, but different enough that my washer count probably won't mean much for you.

If I had remembered, I would have measured my washers for you last night. I have a handful of them in my tool box at home. I think they're 1/2", but don't quote me to that, could be 5/8". Their website doesn't give any specs on them, they just call them "spacer washer"...
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Those really are the important measurements. Like goducks says, you want to get that front fender as close to where it was unloaded as you can. It doesn't sound like from your description you're getting enough tension on the bars.

I don't have the same hitch as you, so my number of washers is irrelevant. I'm running 6 though IIRC, FWIW. I'm running a Fastway E2 with round bars at this time. It's basically similar in many ways, but different enough that my washer count probably won't mean much for you.

If I had remembered, I would have measured my washers for you last night. I have a handful of them in my tool box at home. I think they're 1/2", but don't quote me to that, could be 5/8". Their website doesn't give any specs on them, they just call them "spacer washer"...
I was trying to find the deeper fastway hitch that is compatible with the equalizer that was mentioned earlier on this thread. Unfortunately it is listed as out of stock. I keep thinking my drop is not enough, but like you said I will not know for sure until measuring. I just don't see one or two washers cutting it. I found a CAT scale about 35min from my house. Once I get close that will be my next project.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
__________________

borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
For anyone wondering the washers are 1/2 x 1.062". Very helpful customer support.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salem
Posts: 324
Keep adding washers (hardened) until you can transfer enough weight. With your TW I'd jump right to 6 washers. I actually should've had 7 washer in mine but that puts too much tilt on the WDH that it makes it hard to get the coupler to release unless you're on totally flat ground.
Chance are you'll need to drop the tongue down a hole on the shank.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Keep adding washers (hardened) until you can transfer enough weight. With your TW I'd jump right to 6 washers. I actually should've had 7 washer in mine but that puts too much tilt on the WDH that it makes it hard to get the coupler to release unless you're on totally flat ground.
Chance are you'll need to drop the tongue down a hole on the shank.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have no more holes to drop to. So more than likely new shank in my future.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
You'd be surprised what one or two washers will do. Think about the geometry of the situation. A small amount of tilt on the head (like one washer) causes the end of the spring bar to move an inch or more. With those bars, that's a lot of force; an inch is A LOT.

I'm still very interested in whether you're able to get enough drop out of that shank.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
olyelr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kewadin, MI
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

I'm still very interested in whether you're able to get enough drop out of that shank.
For what it is worth, the shank I have (roughly 8" drop from the top potion that inserts into the hitch) works fine with my truck, and my truck is roughly 2" taller than a normal 2500. Also, I still have 1 hole showing at the bottom of my drop.
__________________
2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Elite
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 gears).

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You'd be surprised what one or two washers will do. Think about the geometry of the situation. A small amount of tilt on the head (like one washer) causes the end of the spring bar to move an inch or more. With those bars, that's a lot of force; an inch is A LOT.

I'm still very interested in whether you're able to get enough drop out of that shank.
I think I'm going to save some frustration and purchase a longer shank! Talked to dealer and he will allow me to pay difference. They will not have time to level it up with trailer. Should I tell them to start with 5 washers with the deeper shank?

Do you think this shank is compatible http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00718...6lL&ref=plSrch

Or any othet suggestions for shanks for my setup would be appreciated.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
jsallman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ames
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
I think I'm going to save some frustration and purchase a longer shank! Talked to dealer and he will allow me to pay difference. They will not have time to level it up with trailer. Should I tell them to start with 5 washers with the deeper shank?

Do you think this shank is compatible Robot Check

Or any othet suggestions for shanks for my setup would be appreciated.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Take a look at this one

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0-02-4900.html

Thats the one I have, it fits the 2.5" receiver on the ram2500 well without the adapter, I am in the bottom mount and just a little nose down. My height to the top of the ball receiver on trailer when the trailer is level is about 22.25". IT IS NOTABLY HEAVIER! I noticed that right away. I just put it in the truck receiver when camping and leave it, have a locking pin on it.
__________________
2016 Jayflight 29BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab - 6.4 Hemi
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, MaxTow (Loved and Sold)

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Take a look at this one

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0-02-4900.html

Thats the one I have, it fits the 2.5" receiver on the ram2500 well without the adapter, I am in the bottom mount and just a little nose down. My height to the top of the ball receiver on trailer when the trailer is level is about 22.25". IT IS NOTABLY HEAVIER! I noticed that right away. I just put it in the truck receiver when camping and leave it, have a locking pin on it.
Order placed, check your PM's when you get a chance.
__________________

borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.