Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
I did not take the measurement yet with the WDH not engaged. Only engaged, and then not hooked up are the measurements I have.

Good tips on the bars, right now I have to raise the tongue a little but not much to engage the bars. I can place them up on the brackets by hand without the tool.

From where my fill point and low drain lines are it appears my tanks are at the same location as yours ( I also have 80 gallons). My waste tank is also at the very rear of the trailer. I am about to call to see about the size of the washers or if they can send me some. How many washers did you say you have installed?
Those really are the important measurements. Like goducks says, you want to get that front fender as close to where it was unloaded as you can. It doesn't sound like from your description you're getting enough tension on the bars.

I don't have the same hitch as you, so my number of washers is irrelevant. I'm running 6 though IIRC, FWIW. I'm running a Fastway E2 with round bars at this time. It's basically similar in many ways, but different enough that my washer count probably won't mean much for you.

If I had remembered, I would have measured my washers for you last night. I have a handful of them in my tool box at home. I think they're 1/2", but don't quote me to that, could be 5/8". Their website doesn't give any specs on them, they just call them "spacer washer"...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Those really are the important measurements. Like goducks says, you want to get that front fender as close to where it was unloaded as you can. It doesn't sound like from your description you're getting enough tension on the bars.

I don't have the same hitch as you, so my number of washers is irrelevant. I'm running 6 though IIRC, FWIW. I'm running a Fastway E2 with round bars at this time. It's basically similar in many ways, but different enough that my washer count probably won't mean much for you.

If I had remembered, I would have measured my washers for you last night. I have a handful of them in my tool box at home. I think they're 1/2", but don't quote me to that, could be 5/8". Their website doesn't give any specs on them, they just call them "spacer washer"...
I was trying to find the deeper fastway hitch that is compatible with the equalizer that was mentioned earlier on this thread. Unfortunately it is listed as out of stock. I keep thinking my drop is not enough, but like you said I will not know for sure until measuring. I just don't see one or two washers cutting it. I found a CAT scale about 35min from my house. Once I get close that will be my next project.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #63

For anyone wondering the washers are 1/2 x 1.062". Very helpful customer support.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #64

Keep adding washers (hardened) until you can transfer enough weight. With your TW I'd jump right to 6 washers. I actually should've had 7 washer in mine but that puts too much tilt on the WDH that it makes it hard to get the coupler to release unless you're on totally flat ground.
Chance are you'll need to drop the tongue down a hole on the shank.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Keep adding washers (hardened) until you can transfer enough weight. With your TW I'd jump right to 6 washers. I actually should've had 7 washer in mine but that puts too much tilt on the WDH that it makes it hard to get the coupler to release unless you're on totally flat ground.
Chance are you'll need to drop the tongue down a hole on the shank.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have no more holes to drop to. So more than likely new shank in my future.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #66

You'd be surprised what one or two washers will do. Think about the geometry of the situation. A small amount of tilt on the head (like one washer) causes the end of the spring bar to move an inch or more. With those bars, that's a lot of force; an inch is A LOT.

I'm still very interested in whether you're able to get enough drop out of that shank.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #67

Quote:

I'm still very interested in whether you're able to get enough drop out of that shank.
For what it is worth, the shank I have (roughly 8" drop from the top potion that inserts into the hitch) works fine with my truck, and my truck is roughly 2" taller than a normal 2500. Also, I still have 1 hole showing at the bottom of my drop.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #68

Quote:
You'd be surprised what one or two washers will do. Think about the geometry of the situation. A small amount of tilt on the head (like one washer) causes the end of the spring bar to move an inch or more. With those bars, that's a lot of force; an inch is A LOT.

I think I'm going to save some frustration and purchase a longer shank! Talked to dealer and he will allow me to pay difference. They will not have time to level it up with trailer. Should I tell them to start with 5 washers with the deeper shank?

Do you think this shank is compatible http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00718...6lL&ref=plSrch

Or any othet suggestions for shanks for my setup would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
I think I'm going to save some frustration and purchase a longer shank! Talked to dealer and he will allow me to pay difference. They will not have time to level it up with trailer. Should I tell them to start with 5 washers with the deeper shank?

Do you think this shank is compatible Robot Check

Or any othet suggestions for shanks for my setup would be appreciated.
Take a look at this one

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0-02-4900.html

Thats the one I have, it fits the 2.5" receiver on the ram2500 well without the adapter, I am in the bottom mount and just a little nose down. My height to the top of the ball receiver on trailer when the trailer is level is about 22.25". IT IS NOTABLY HEAVIER! I noticed that right away. I just put it in the truck receiver when camping and leave it, have a locking pin on it.

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Take a look at this one

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0-02-4900.html

Thats the one I have, it fits the 2.5" receiver on the ram2500 well without the adapter, I am in the bottom mount and just a little nose down. My height to the top of the ball receiver on trailer when the trailer is level is about 22.25". IT IS NOTABLY HEAVIER! I noticed that right away. I just put it in the truck receiver when camping and leave it, have a locking pin on it.
Order placed, check your PM's when you get a chance.