Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 AM   #21

I have a 2007 Featherlite 20BH and the heater is under the couch. The control board failed, to access the heater I had to take the couch apart to get to the heater. after getting to the unit out I cleaned all parts (years of dust build up and moisture on the circuit board caused it to short out) tested it at camping world and ordered the replacement part on EBAY for $75.00 (campingworld's cost $138.00 + labor would be over $500.00 to replace it.) Took me time to take apart and replace it Works great now. Built a new frame under the couch so I can pull it out quick release so I can have easy access to the heater unit. Next RV I will check to see if it has a outside access door to make it easier for me. My units circuit board is on the back side so the heater unit has to be removed from floor and the wall to get to and release the circuit board. Hope this helps in your decision.
BOVAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 AM   #22

I am not sure which Atwood furnace you have but most of them are similar. I learned a lot about mine when it failed. There is a reset switch on the top front of the unit and there are cases when it has to be reset or the unit will not work. It can also be reset by removing the power from the unit for a few minutes and powering it back on. Since it is powered by your 12 volt system there is only a couple of way to do this, you can pull the fuse to the furnace or first disconnect your AC power and then disconnect the batteries. I would at least try that before anything else just in case it only needs to be reset.
MaxDMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #23

furnace

My 5th wheel has a access panel that exposes the heater unit. The tech removed the furnace and replaced the faulty sail switch . Then he re-installed the furnace. Problem solved.Took about an hour total.

2015 28.5 RSTS
2012 Ram 6.7L 2500 CCLWB
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #24

Repaired or not ???

I am having an issue with mine not lighting. I am also more than able to repair the unit myself, but wondering what someone else has done to remove the unit from the camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarb View Post
I might have a problem with my Atwood furnace - I might - but I'd prefer to save that for another post when I know more.

I'm pretty good at diagnosing such things, if I can actually get to them.
But my Atwood 8500-IV series furnace on my 2007 31BHDS has no exterior access door, as I've read some models indeed do not.

How do people handle this ? It doesn't seem like it'd be too easy or even possible to get to the control panel or any of the wiring, sensors or relays, as it seems they are on the side facing the outside wall.

I'm thinking of cutting in an exterior access panel, rather than pulling the whole thing out from the inside, if that's what people do.
I see you can buy them online - it can't be that hard with my skill level (if I may say).

Anyone else put an access door in ?
Pappywg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #25

Depends which trailer you have. My 174BH has the furnace under the dinette seat.

You'll have to remove the screws that hold it to the floor as well as the screws pining the ducting to the vent on the side of the dinette. once those are all removed, pull the furnace out of the exhaust pipe by pulling it away from the wall and upwards at the same time.

It's fairly easy once you understand how it all goes together.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #26

Octane

I understand about pulling the screws out. I have a 2014 Octane T26Y toyhauler. The furnace is under the Fridge, stove, and right next to the water heater. The issue I am looking at is clearance and access to "all" the mounting screws. If I can reach all the mounting screws, then sliding the furnace out maybe a bit more of a chore. Taking the exhaust pipe off the outside is not an issue. With the access panels (inside) off all I can see is One mounting screw. Common sense tells me there are more, but was looking for help as to where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracto View Post
Depends which trailer you have. My 174BH has the furnace under the dinette seat.

You'll have to remove the screws that hold it to the floor as well as the screws pining the ducting to the vent on the side of the dinette. once those are all removed, pull the furnace out of the exhaust pipe by pulling it away from the wall and upwards at the same time.

It's fairly easy once you understand how it all goes together.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #27

OP here . . .
In my case I got the thing going and didn't have to remove it after all.
I followed the Atwood manual, cleaned, checked and adjusted everything carefully.

As I remember, what I was concerned about is getting to some of the electricals I couldn't reach.

If you haven't already, try and locate the Atwood/Dometic manual, as well as search for online posts about what to check and adjust.

There is a pretty good troubleshooting manual here :

Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting :
beamalarm.com/Documents/atwood_water_heater_troubleshooting.html

I tried to make a live link out of it but no matter what I do the forum scripting screws it up. So you'll have to cut and paste it.
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #28

I have the unit below and have absolutely no idea how they can get the heater out. I can see the labor charge being ridiculous. Just to replace a $8.00 water heater element the water heater had to be removed.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #29

furnace

Thank you for your input. I have read the Atwood manual. I want to clean and check things but my issue is the furnace is mounted in my camper with ZERO access to the burner assy. I have to remove the entire furnace from the camper in order to clean or test anything. I work on heaters for a living so the testing and repair part I can do. What I am looking for is help with how it it mounted and how to remove it without damaging anything. How it is mounted is Not making it very easy to get to anything. The Water heater is right next to it, and cabinets to the other side. But again, thank you for your time and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarb View Post
OP here . . .
In my case I got the thing going and didn't have to remove it after all.
I followed the Atwood manual, cleaned, checked and adjusted everything carefully.

As I remember, what I was concerned about is getting to some of the electricals I couldn't reach.

If you haven't already, try and locate the Atwood/Dometic manual, as well as search for online posts about what to check and adjust.

There is a pretty good troubleshooting manual here :

Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting :
beamalarm.com/Documents/atwood_water_heater_troubleshooting.html

I tried to make a live link out of it but no matter what I do the forum scripting screws it up. So you'll have to cut and paste it.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #30

My apologies . . . I had trouble with both my water heater and my furnace, and when getting back to my post here thought it was the one about the water heater. You're asking about the furnace though.

I'm afraid I can't be of much help as I didn't end up having to remove either of them. I have a vague recollection that I thought I'd have to remove some screws from underneath the trailer but I could be wrong.
I also remember hoping I'd never have to do it because it looked like they didn't make it easy for either of them. What's up with that.

If I can think of anything I'll write back.
Let us know if you find anything out !
Best of luck,

Kent
Old 08-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #31

Any chance you have an update on your unit?
I am also having an issues with my furnace not igniting... I have a 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 24mbh. It’s really frustrating that they do not have an access panel to be able to troubleshoot the problem without removing the entire unit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappywg View Post
Thank you for your input. I have read the Atwood manual. I want to clean and check things but my issue is the furnace is mounted in my camper with ZERO access to the burner assy. I have to remove the entire furnace from the camper in order to clean or test anything. I work on heaters for a living so the testing and repair part I can do. What I am looking for is help with how it it mounted and how to remove it without damaging anything. How it is mounted is Not making it very easy to get to anything. The Water heater is right next to it, and cabinets to the other side. But again, thank you for your time and input.
Ecatapano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #32

Angry How do you get it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecatapano View Post
Any chance you have an update on your unit?
I am also having an issues with my furnace not igniting... I have a 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 24mbh. It’s really frustrating that they do not have an access panel to be able to troubleshoot the problem without removing the entire unit....
I too need to get access the front of the unit. Jayco Eagle 332 CBOK I have power to the unit and the thermostat is good. Nothing happens, not even the blower. I think my control board is bad from the factory, the rig is brand new. It's 30 degrees here, and I need heat!

I would really appreciate any info on how to remove it. I can see the screws holding it to the floor, but I am concerned about how the ducting is attached underneath (also not visible even from under the rig due to insulation and barriers). Warranty would require me to bring it in, which isn't an option for me. I know I can fix it if I can get to it!

Who would design something with the serviceable parts inaccessible, including the diagnostic light??
Hal VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal VT View Post
I too need to get access the front of the unit. Jayco Eagle 332 CBOK I have power to the unit and the thermostat is good. Nothing happens, not even the blower. I think my control board is bad from the factory, the rig is brand new. It's 30 degrees here, and I need heat!

I would really appreciate any info on how to remove it. I can see the screws holding it to the floor, but I am concerned about how the ducting is attached underneath (also not visible even from under the rig due to insulation and barriers). Warranty would require me to bring it in, which isn't an option for me. I know I can fix it if I can get to it!

Who would design something with the serviceable parts inaccessible, including the diagnostic light??
There is a reset switch that can trip on the unit itself. Look for where the wires go into the furnace and look/feel around there. Mine was almost impossible to see and harder to reach. It’s a small rocker switch that not even my dealer knew existed. It’s worth a shot to try that if you haven’t already.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
There is a reset switch that can trip on the unit itself. Look for where the wires go into the furnace and look/feel around there. Mine was almost impossible to see and harder to reach. It’s a small rocker switch that not even my dealer knew existed. It’s worth a shot to try that if you haven’t already.
Thanks Screwby, but I did find that switch and reset it several times. I'm at the point where I need to get the thing out so I can check the board.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Thanks Screwby, but I did find that switch and reset it several times. I'm at the point where I need to get the thing out so I can check the board.
I had to remove my furnace in our Pinnacle to replace the board, it was pretty easy just two screws holding it in the back with small L brackets and the wiring. Remove the ducts and slide it outs. If you have to replace the board get a Dinosaur board they are much better boards.
MaxDMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #36

OP here . . . really sorry to hear of your troubles.
As I wrote elsewhere I was able to get the thing going without removing the unit, but it didn't seem like it was going to be that easy getting it out of there.

I cleaned it really well & thoroughly, then followed all the troubleshooting instructions, adjusting everything advised.
I guess you already tried all the troubleshooting ?

Let me think though . . . I remember messing around with it quite a bit - what the hell was it I did ?

How about this guy's videos, maybe even trying to contact him via his website :
RV Furnace Repairs - myrvworks, Youtube

Troubleshooting the RV DSI Furnace

And perhaps :
- youtube
Old 10-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #37

Thanks KBarb. I've reached out to the guy at the website you suggested. The video is one with an outside access panel which would be SO nice to have. I don't understand why Jayco would design this thing like this! You can't even see the LED light that would give some idea of what might be going on.

Once I get into this thing I'll post details and photos. I'm very surprised I haven't found more info since I can't be the only one dealing with it. Maybe everyone else is bring them in for service. I just don;t have that option available to me.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #38

Yeh, wtf ?
Since nothing lasts forever; the least they could do would be to provide some kind of instructions for removal.
I have the original documentation and it doesn't mention anything about that.
Even the exploded diagram of the overall parts is somewhat generic.
If you find out anything from that myrvworks guy it'd be great if you could post back as a lot of people want to know.
He appeared kind of friendly & helpful from his website so hopefully you get some help. You might have to actually call him and beg & plead.
;-)

Kent
Old 10-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Man that sucks.....mine is impossible to get to like your and I was lucky enough it was my reset switch. Definitely keep us posted
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #40

Lots of Atwood furnace troubles have been posted here.
I have a thread in here about having to constantly flip the reset switch. Dealer had three shots at fixing it.
Each time I told them to replace the switch (as per Atwood’s recommendation)
Each time they thought they knew better than me.
Turns out it was the switch.
Cost me $500 for them to keep trying their dealer magic.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote