Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #1

Question Batteries inside under the bed? - advice please

Hi Folks,
My trailer is a 2019 White hawk R27B which has the bed in the front of the TT.

I’ve bought two LiFePo4 and I’m considering installing them in the storage compartment under the bed. There is no maintenance or gassing issues with these batteries so I feel they will be secure from possible theft there as well as free up my battery rails for other storage.

I plan on doing a full solar setup eventually and these batteries are my first step. I want to run the battery leads through the pass through storage so they will be accessible as I plan on installing inverter, cut off switch etc on the inside front wall of the pass through storage. I am particularly nervous about having to drill holes etc in the trailer to run the leads where I’ll need to go.

All that being said, has anyone done this on a similar TT and if so can you pass on any advice or cautionary notes?

Many thanks in advance for your input,
Bruce
BeGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #2

I haven’t done it, but it sounds like a good idea. Out of sight, out of mind. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #3

As long as the platform they are setting on is sturdy enough and they are prevented from moving while traveling it shouldn't be a problem. Class C motorhomes have had the batteries in the entry steps for years so they are actually located in the living area.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #4

My batteries are all LEAD ACID type batteries. I am old enough to remember the old days when the gas stations would throw a DC Power Supply on the batteries and charge for 30 minutes or so at a VERY HIGH DC VOLTS and AMPS.

I have personally seen a couple of these quick charges go wrong and the old lead acid batteries would explode. The battery tops would be going into the air 50 feet or so... Battery acid would go everywhere...

NO WAY would I install any large battery under the bed I would be sleeping in haha...

Just me of course and I understand you have the sealed batteries but they are large and can produce high amps...

I think you might be pushing the being safe envelope hehe... What could go wrong... RIGHT!!!

Just saying haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
My batteries are all LEAD ACID type batteries. I am old enough to remember the old days when the gas stations would throw a DC Power Supply on the batteries and charge for 30 minutes or so at a VERY HIGH DC VOLTS and AMPS.

I have personally seen a couple of these quick charges go wrong and the old lead acid batteries would explode. The battery tops would be going into the air 50 feet or so... Battery acid would go everywhere...

NO WAY would I install any large battery under the bed I would be sleeping in haha...

Just me of course and I understand you have the sealed batteries but they are large and can produce high amps...

I think you might be pushing the being safe envelope hehe... What could go wrong... RIGHT!!!

Just saying haha...

Roy Ken
The OP's batteries are extremely safe. They don't catch fire and don't outgas . As already stated, if they're properly supported and secured for travel, they are perfectly safe indoors.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGin View Post
Hi Folks,
My trailer is a 2019 White hawk R27B which has the bed in the front of the TT.

I’ve bought two LiFePo4 and I’m considering installing them in the storage compartment under the bed. There is no maintenance or gassing issues with these batteries so I feel they will be secure from possible theft there as well as free up my battery rails for other storage.

I plan on doing a full solar setup eventually and these batteries are my first step. I want to run the battery leads through the pass through storage so they will be accessible as I plan on installing inverter, cut off switch etc on the inside front wall of the pass through storage. I am particularly nervous about having to drill holes etc in the trailer to run the leads where I’ll need to go.

All that being said, has anyone done this on a similar TT and if so can you pass on any advice or cautionary notes?

Many thanks in advance for your input,
Bruce
We have a 25RB and plan on doing the same thing by putting the lithium batteries under the bed. How did that end up going for you?

Korey
Korey937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:25 AM   #7

Hi Korey
I ended up mounting the two batteries in a box on the A frame in front of the trailer. I added a second box on top of the first one to contain my inverter. This has worked well so far.
Bruce
Old 03-15-2022, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGin View Post
Hi Korey
I ended up mounting the two batteries in a box on the A frame in front of the trailer. I added a second box on top of the first one to contain my inverter. This has worked well so far.
Bruce
As pictures? I’m looking to add a 2nd battery and haven’t found a way to add it
Bobstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #9

It is very common to mount Lifepo4 batteries under the bed in Travel Trailers and Class C’s, one of the best spots for them and is perfectly safe.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
It is very common to mount Lifepo4 batteries under the bed in Travel Trailers and Class C’s, one of the best spots for them and is perfectly safe.
Until something sparks in the middle of the night while you sleep. I think that setup is the most dangerous thing any company could come up with. The company lawyers must be tossing and turning over that setup.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Until something sparks in the middle of the night while you sleep. I think that setup is the most dangerous thing any company could come up with. The company lawyers must be tossing and turning over that setup.
You think the Jayco lawyers would be happy with the factory wiring I found under my bed? Why would something spark unless it was a bad installation like the Jayco factory does.
Attached Thumbnails
40CE718C-5058-4595-8926-D7FD7D6D24C4.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstekeur View Post
As pictures? I’m looking to add a 2nd battery and haven’t found a way to add it
Bob .. I’ll try to find pics in my photos. My trailer is now in a winter storage yard and I won’t have access until spring. I’ll tell you what I did and then follow with pic if possible. ( I found pic .. sorry about orientation but I can’t get it to be right side up lol .. I’m sure you can orient it for viewing)

I drilled six mounting bolt holes in the bottom of the top box and then placed it on the bottom box. Marked my mounting holes onto the top of the bottom box and drilled those out. I then placed bolts, long enough to go through top box when it was lowered onto the bolts, through the lid of the bottom box, with good size washers on both sides of the lid and used loctited nuts to secure these 6 ‘mounting posts’ in place. I put another large washer on each and lowered the top box onto the ‘mounting posts’ and secured it with washer and bolt from inside the top box.

I used two Peaktow PTB0003 aluminum boxes. In the bottom one I built a wooden support structure for my two LiFeP04 batteries accompanied with installing some through posts, disconnect switch etc. My top box contains my 3000 watt inverter inside it and my Victron Power shunt in a plastic box attached to the outside (to allow good Bluetooth signal). I again used through posts to bring my power cables inside and also drilled some holes for inverter ventilation. I mounted external 120v 30A receptacle so I can use my RV plug on shore power or from the inverted, two 120v 15A and 12V DC receptacles as well by drilling through the back of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
24DD98C3-72F8-426D-A403-DC55E3DE6CA5.jpg   2868C180-416D-46DA-B61D-8F5A35E54A65.jpg   A8215899-4CF2-4CA7-861D-0E14187F79D0.jpg  
Old 03-16-2022, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
This is an interesting comment and needs to be discussed because this could be correct if not done properly and expertly.

First of all, I think everyone is aware that no Lead Acid battery should ever be installed inside. I hope at least that much is 100% clear.

Well-made, properly designed LiFePO4 batteries, from reliable companies such as Battleborn and SOK for example, are safe enough to put under a bed. However, there are now many sketchy Chinese companies selling lower-cost LiFePO4's that might not be. Check Will Prowes' superb YouTube channel before you purchase any LiFePO4 other than Battleborn or SOK. He tests many different brands and gives excellent advice.

Once you have a safe LiFePO4 battery, then wiring needs to be considered. Since there are many DIYers modifying their RVs with LiFePO4's, it is absolutely essential that proper size and type of wire is used. LiFePO4 batteries have incredible amounts of power stored within them that must be respected. If the proper wiring, connectors, and installation procedures are not used, it could be very dangerous indeed. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, do not attempt to wire a LiFePO4 under your bed.

I would hope that this isn't a concern with an OEM installation, but given what I have seen in the RV industry, it might be.

A well-made LiFePO4 battery is safe enough for use under a bed provided that it has been properly and expertly installed. If not, you could be sleeping on top of a considerable fire hazard.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #14

We decided to still put them under the bed. Still currently in dev mode so no pictures yet. I was thinking about putting a fire blanket under our bed mattress. We've also put a smoke detector under the bed to help alert if something does happen. Agree with other statements to use proper wire size and fuses.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #15

I just ordered my Renogy 100ah Lithium battery and under then bed it will go. I will mount it against the front wall to prevent movement and call it good. At 23.7 pounds I will also drop about 45 pounds off the hitch weight.

As a side effect, lifting a lithium battery to take in for the winter will be a plus over my Group 27!
PS Renogy is not selling it's bluetooth battery for $499 with potentially a referral discount of up to 7%. Just ask a recent customer to refer you and it should save a few bucks.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #16

You can always buy a fireproof box or lipo bag if you are paranoid. I'm not sureni would want a sparking battery next to my propane tanks either, but that's where the factory put them...
FLascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
You think the Jayco lawyers would be happy with the factory wiring I found under my bed? Why would something spark unless it was a bad installation like the Jayco factory does.
Well there is that 2x4 providing insulation between hot and ground. What could go wrong!
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #18

I’m still torn between putting the lifepo4 200ah battery I just bought on the a frame in the front or under the bed. For those that put it under the bed, how did you reroute the battery wires? It looks like an ugly job at best. I’m planning on relocating it this weekend. I also got a battery meter and shunt that I want to mount also. I got a 25’ extension for the meter and still trying to figure out where to put that.
Bobstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:16 PM   #19

I plan to work on it next week. In my plan I would pull the two existing wires under the floor and then up through the floor. Should be just enough length. That way my lithium will be out of reach of anyone wanting a free one and free up space for something else.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #20
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I plan to work on it next week. In my plan I would pull the two existing wires under the floor and then up through the floor. Should be just enough length. That way my lithium will be out of reach of anyone wanting a free one and free up space for something else.

Won't make any difference because with the wiring job that Jayco does the entire RV will go up in flames with you sleeping right over the top of it.

Sorry, but I just have no faith in Jayco's or any other RV manufacturer's wiring job, especially when I am sleeping over the top of it.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, drill holes, inside, under bed