Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #21

65!

Except, one time when we were racing a soutnbound dust storm in northern Arizona!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #22

62 seems to be where everything lines up with this combo. We have LT tires on the trailer so I don't worry about the occasional speed burst when appropriate.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:23 AM   #23

My best Speed

I like 62MPH. It seems to save the most gas. I have tested 60, 65, 70 and 75. But 62 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for me.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #24

I stay under 65mph. I'm in no hurry when traveling. Any higher than that seems too fast towing 5 tons of weight. I might not be there first, but I'll be there!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:58 AM   #25

Now all you 2500HD owners have me wondering if we're going to have an issue pulling at 65 MPH.

Noticed yesterday that the manual recommends to only use tow/haul when you're at a minimum of 75% of GCWR.

With a 25,100 lb. GCWR that would put it at 18,825 lbs. minimum.

Fully loaded worst case we could ever be is 13,750 lbs., but realistically I'd say our gross combined will never be over 13k lbs.

If you all are pulling heavier travel trailers and have to drive over 65 MPH to get your trucks to shift into 6th gear, we may have a problem. We try to stay right at 65 usually, so I'm not sure with a lighter pull if this is going to be worse or better in our case. I would think the lighter load would be more out to let the transmission shift into 6th gear?

I want to be able to use T/H so that I can keep an eye on the trans temp guage, really wish their was a way to see the trans temp on the DIC even when not in T/H mode.

I have a hard enough time figuring out what gear this thing is in, not sure I'll really be able to tell if it's in 5th or 6th while pulling unless I can run 65 on flat ground without the TT and see where the tach is typically sitting in 6th?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #26

A lot of folks have mentioned the tire speed rating, but I haven't seen anybody mention the law! For most states I travel in/through, the speed limit for RV's is the same as it is for semi's: that's 55 - 65 mph. I know "no one drives the speed limit", but you should. It's the law! Speed limits are set at the maximum safe driving speed for a particular vehicle on that section of road under ideal conditions. Poor visibility, high winds, wet/slippery road conditions, vehicle condition (including loading), driver distraction/impairment - all effect the safe speed you should drive. This is not directed at the OP or any other member, but (at the risk of setting off a fire storm) if you're willing to disregard the speed limit, what other laws are you willing to ignore? Speed limits? Traffic signals? Littering? Not picking up after pets? Unrestrained dogs in campgrounds? Excessive noise? Shop-lifting? As the saying goes, "Are you still beating your wife"? I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Why is it that some people think the law doesn't apply to them? Seems like everyone thinks they're a politician!

Sorry, but this really sets me off! End of rant!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #27

Yep, we stay at 65 or less. If I need to pass, I'll push it to 70 for just a little while, but then back over and down to 65.

You'll feel like you're standing still on the interstate because EVERYBODY will pass you. But it's ok. Don't be in a hurry....you'll get there.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
A lot of folks have mentioned the tire speed rating, but I haven't seen anybody mention the law!
Here you go...
Trailer Speed Limits - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

In my home state there is no difference. I get passed by everyone regardless of the state I'm in.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Now all you 2500HD owners have me wondering if we're going to have an issue pulling at 65 MPH.

Noticed yesterday that the manual recommends to only use tow/haul when you're at a minimum of 75% of GCWR.

With a 25,100 lb. GCWR that would put it at 18,825 lbs. minimum.

Fully loaded worst case we could ever be is 13,750 lbs., but realistically I'd say our gross combined will never be over 13k lbs.

If you all are pulling heavier travel trailers and have to drive over 65 MPH to get your trucks to shift into 6th gear, we may have a problem. We try to stay right at 65 usually, so I'm not sure with a lighter pull if this is going to be worse or better in our case. I would think the lighter load would be more out to let the transmission shift into 6th gear?

I want to be able to use T/H so that I can keep an eye on the trans temp guage, really wish their was a way to see the trans temp on the DIC even when not in T/H mode.

I have a hard enough time figuring out what gear this thing is in, not sure I'll really be able to tell if it's in 5th or 6th while pulling unless I can run 65 on flat ground without the TT and see where the tach is typically sitting in 6th?
Our TV was a 2500HD Duramax Allison for years. 3.73 axles, and it easily slipped into O/D on flat ground at anything above about 60mph. It's only on uphills or downhills that one of these would need to be in Tow/Haul. I don't understand the idea that you would have to go 70+ to get it to drop into O/D and stay there unless you tried to leave it in O/D on uphills. If you' do that, you'll eventually get what you deserve, which is the bill for a rebuild on an Allison. About $6k.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Our TV was a 2500HD Duramax Allison for years. 3.73 axles, and it easily slipped into O/D on flat ground at anything above about 60mph. It's only on uphills or downhills that one of these would need to be in Tow/Haul. I don't understand the idea that you would have to go 70+ to get it to drop into O/D and stay there unless you tried to leave it in O/D on uphills. If you' do that, you'll eventually get what you deserve, which is the bill for a rebuild on an Allison. About $6k.

68 is the magic for me for 6th gear. Tow haul or not and loaded or unloaded. Maybe the trans computers are programmed different year over year.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #31

Quote:
A lot of folks have mentioned the tire speed rating, but I haven't seen anybody mention the law! For most states I travel in/through, the speed limit for RV's is the same as it is for semi's: that's 55 - 65 mph. I know "no one drives the speed limit", but you should. It's the law! Speed limits are set at the maximum safe driving speed for a particular vehicle on that section of road under ideal conditions. Poor visibility, high winds, wet/slippery road conditions, vehicle condition (including loading), driver distraction/impairment - all effect the safe speed you should drive. This is not directed at the OP or any other member, but (at the risk of setting off a fire storm) if you're willing to disregard the speed limit, what other laws are you willing to ignore? Speed limits? Traffic signals? Littering? Not picking up after pets? Unrestrained dogs in campgrounds? Excessive noise? Shop-lifting? As the saying goes, "Are you still beating your wife"? I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Why is it that some people think the law doesn't apply to them? Seems like everyone thinks they're a politician!

Here in Michigan the non commercial speed limit is 70 (on most freeways) even with a trailer, and is going up in the next year or so in rural areas per recent legislation. I run 65-70 typically but have towed higher. It all depends on traffic and conditions. If I need to bump up a couple mph to flow with traffic then I won't hesitate so that I can avoid constant lane changes. Ive had a CDL for 15 years and tow commercially almost daily, so it's old hat for me.

Now when I double tow starting this summer with the new 5th I expect I'll park it at 60-62 max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #32

Driving Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
Ordered a Whitehawk and will see it in a month or so. I am wondering how fast most of you drive when pulling your trailer? When I had a motorhome I stayed between 60 and 65.

So what speed and how long do drive in a day?

Thanks

Steve
63 mph hour works good for our Dodge Cummins keep it right at 1800 rpm in over drive!Must admit we don't pass many people at that speed!Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
best L.D. Mtn 12-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #33

My 23RLSW has ST tires. So I run at no more than 62-63 as a steady speed, sometimes 'bursting' up to near 70 if I have to pass. And I always start a driving day with a tire pressure check.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #34

Just shy of 60. The cruise settles in nicely.

We're on vacation. No need to rush.

Potty, food and leg-stretch stops as desired.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
68 is the magic for me for 6th gear. Tow haul or not and loaded or unloaded. Maybe the trans computers are programmed different year over year.
Looks like the difference is in 5 speed vs 6 speed designs. CHanged in 2006, the older 5 speed I had likely has a lower geared overdrive than the top gear in the 6 speed does. Hence, its highest gear (O/D) is somewhere between 5th and 6th when compared to the ratios of the 6 speed newer version.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Looks like the difference is in 5 speed vs 6 speed designs. CHanged in 2006, the older 5 speed I had likely has a lower geared overdrive than the top gear in the 6 speed does. Hence, its highest gear (O/D) is somewhere between 5th and 6th when compared to the ratios of the 6 speed newer version.

That makes sense. I was thinking it may be something along those lines.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #37

Quote:
A lot of folks have mentioned the tire speed rating, but I haven't seen anybody mention the law!

Quite the assumption. I drive to Florida every year, on Interstate 95. Speed limits on I95 are 70 to 75 mph in the south. Therefore, traveling at 68-69 mph is below the speed limit. By the way, are you trying to suggest that you have never once traveled above the posted speed limit... or rolled through a stop sign... or changed lanes without signalling... or any other minor traffic offense...?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #38

Quote:

No fire storm, but I'm sure I'm not the only member offended by your gross generalization about the law and safety. There are very few places anymore that restrict trucks to 55mph and I've never seen it applied to an RV in tow. A rig is generally the safest when traveling at the same speed as others in the slow lane, which from my experience is about 63-66mph. Driving at 55 other than when conditions justify is not going to make you safer.

Too each their own but my experience is that those who want to hold every one elses feet to the fire for the "rules" are often the worst violators. To the OPs question, I pull at 64-65 mph and almost always fine an 18 wheeler traveling in that range and get behind them at a safe distance.

Oh, I pick up after my 2 dogs, keep them on leashes, and haven't partied at our CS for over 30 years. My crimes do include rolling thru the occasional stop sign, using extendable leashes that exceed 6 feet, and often pee behind my TT at night. I haven't beaten my wife in 45 years and when we break camp any trash on the ground was there before I arrived only the small pieces that escaped my attention. I will refrain from tit or tat but the next time you might want to keep your rants focused on the subject at hand.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #39

I drive 62 mph, weather and wind permitting, because my truck likes that speed. So does my DW, who often is following pulling more toys.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #40

There is direct relationship between the speed and stability of the TT/TV setup. The slower, the more stable, regardless of the hitch setup, etc. Slowing down is the cheapest insurance.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote