Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
Without a load of gear in it, your trailer will likely be good on weight on your TV, go for it. The important thing is electric trailer brake IMHO. I drove mine home about 30 miles w/o WDH or even any trailer brake as I didn't own one. Wasn't the smartest thing but I used it a few times before getting a brake controller installed (!) just drove pretty conservatively and my TV has excellent brakes. And I've used it for about a year now and just got a WDH, so they are nice for best performance, but you're making too big of a deal about it for a short drive.

You'll be enjoying that rig soon. Lots of good info here, I'm still newer and reading stuff.
Good to hear. With that in mind, I'm thinking I'll drive it home without a WDH and do the install next to the house where I have easy access to pretty much anything I might need.

ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:50 PM   #12

Thanks for all the photos Steve - that's a big help and a load off my mind!

I just got the shipping memo for the 3P this afternoon, shows up on Tuesday!

ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

Nice! Post up lots of pics of the install!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #14

Just 2 cents here and something to consider and be prepared for. The 3P and the Hensley Arrow are both outstanding hitches in their own respects. However, even though they have been out for a while now, they are not industry standard. Many dealerships and service yards do not know how to set them up, and more importantly, many dealership and service yards will not work with them.

What this means is some cekkk eluded to. Most dealerships and/or service yards for the TT industry utilize forklifts or 'tugs' to move their TT's and/or 5ers around their yards and in and out of maintenance bays. Often times these tugs/forklifts utilize a "hitch sled" set up with the common TT ball and/or 5er king pin set in place on a permanent basis instead of utilizing a standard 2 inch receiver like your TV has. Therefore, when getting your TT serviced, they may require you to leave your 'stinger' with them (which technically is not a big deal) or in the worse case, leave your entire TV so they can move your TT around their facility.
I found out my dealership did not necessarily like my Hensley Arrow, so I got a standard WDH with sway bars and sent the Hensley back and received a full refund.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #15

I am considering buying White Hawk from RV Direct, Des Moines. I would like them to install ProPride. If they agree, is there a risk that (if they do not have experience with that kind of hitch) they will not set it up correctly, i.e. it will not work 100% as it should? It is 1,800 miles one way from my place, so I would like to make sure everything would work correctly on the way back...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
but I would be interested in hearing your impressions/comparison if you installed your Propride hitch that is gathering dust.

Happy camping,
My impression was that it would be a good hitch for a SRW TV pulling a TT with a more or less box shaped front end, especially if hooked to a TV with a shorter wheelbase. But I'm not convinced it would be worth the difference in price between it and a Blue Ox or Equalizer, the two I'm familiar with, in most cases.

There is also the inconvenience of the hookup method. I found it more difficult to back into the hitch than backing a ball under a coupler (for those not familiar, think of backing a knife into its sheath), particularly with the TT level, but the TV on an incline. Now, that might be because DW and I have hooked up our several non-RV trailers for years and have more experience with that set up.

I also was unable to move it with my tractor due to the absence of a coupler, as were dealers, who used forklifts, but the front end would then swing way too much to suit me. The manufacturer promised a device to overcome that problem was coming, so that may no longer be a problem, just another expense.

Since its advertised strength is reducing sway, it was probably foolish of me to go with it when I'd be pulling with a DRW.

Hope that is helpful.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I am considering buying White Hawk from RV Direct, Des Moines. I would like them to install ProPride. If they agree, is there a risk that (if they do not have experience with that kind of hitch) they will not set it up correctly, i.e. it will not work 100% as it should? It is 1,800 miles one way from my place, so I would like to make sure everything would work correctly on the way back...
I would think there is a risk if they do not have experience with that type of hitch. If you are traveling that far, I would assume you have time to watch them install it or at least make frequent checks while they do it.

Do yourself a favor and watch the videos on YouTube regarding set up and use. Don't watch the comparison videos, they will drive you nuts. The designer of the ProPride hitch used to be the vice president at Hensley. With that said, it is not hard to figure out where he got the idea for the P3 hitch... Obviously, he changed it enough not to infringe on "stealing the design". Both hitches are virtually the same. It's like the truck argument; the better of the two is the one that works best for YOU.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #18

I was really considering the ProPride hitch when we got our first TT earlier this year. I was set to buy one but then I realized the issue for service places not being able to move the trailer around because there is no ball receiver. I emailed Sean to see if he had or knew of an adapter because, in my case, the storage place I use also moves the trailers in and out of storage and requires a ball setup. He never replied to that inquiry so I assumed there was not a solution.

I ended up going with the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. Of course, I think the Pro Pride hitch cannot be beat for stability, but I've been extremely impressed w/ the Blue Ox. To me, it seems somewhere in the middle between a 'sway reduction' (Equalizer style) and a 'sway elimination' (3P/Hensley style). I think they call the Blue Ox style 'sway prevention.' It seems to do a surprisingly good job at keeping sway to a minimum and the great thing is when you disconnect, there are only two small brackets left on the frame.

Anyway, in researching hitches, I came to realize everyone has a preference so it's just my 2c for anyone looking around for options.
mocad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #19

To those who bought a traditional hitch because they were concerned the dealer couldn't move their trailer if service was needed...really? Our dealer tried to pull the "We have never seen one, our tractor won't hook up to it" line. I said you DO have trucks...you pull campers to the shows! They then called the service tech who was going to work on our camper and I showed him how it works. He was more than interested in it and had no problem using the shop dually!

I agree with a dually truck, the Propride or Hensley are probably overkill.

To Bono...take wrenches and/or sockets to fit all the hardware and be sure to check the nuts and bolts on your way home. The only real setup is the stinger height and angle. The camper will be empty so once you get home and loaded up you may need to re-adjust anyway.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #20

Okay, I was trying to find the strand where someone talked about a "wiggle" and I was thinking it was in a Propride strand. (Was on my phone and thought easier to reply on computer). So this is not the strand but thought you might find this interesting anyway.
Mocad: I have a Blue Ox on my WhiteHawk 21FBS and I have an extremely difficult time getting all of the tension off it to disconnect; almost raise TV off ground. The conjecture is that there's something about the way the Blue Ox has two stabilizing components and both put pressure on the ball. And that frame is different on those units, receiver is more "up" or something. Plus the trailer has now been lowered 3 times; dealer simply set it up too high so that did help. So a combination of my inexperience and the dealers with that system probably all contributes. Anyway, the tension bar finally got me and I ended up in the emergency room.
In the process of thinking about a different WDH, I finally decided to "put out" for a Hensley or Propride. I hesitate to put this conversation here because the guy at Hensley I talked to really hesitated on answering me; he did not want to mudsling but I asked the question as to why I would go with a Hensley rather than a Propride (other than the modification needed to TV) After stammering around a bit, he finally said the model Propride is using was a hitch they had developed that they had finally rejected. I can't find my notes from that conversation now but I'm almost certain that he said it sometimes had a wiggle and they never could engineer it out so they discarded the design. So maybe ProPride has addressed that issue now or maybe it's the same hitch. The guy who does Propride was a sales rep for Hensley, not an engineer. Just informational for what it's worth. And even if it does wiggle sometimes, it's probably still a very good system. I am getting a Hensley installed this week and will cross my fingers I can hitch on my own!

Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote