Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2021, 10:11 AM   #21
EJH

Anyone using a back up and/or side marker camera(s) on the Feather Micros? I believe both rear and side are pre-wired? If so, which one (Furrion, Haloview)?

This trailer is slightly wider than the mirrors on my '21 Ranger (I will be getting clip on extensions). I also have an awkward, tight parking spot on the side of my home to back into. I figure a camera (or all three) will help me out.
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #22

When towing with Honda Ridgeline without tow mirrors, I had ZERO side visibility issues. Side marker cameras would have been a joke. Loved the 7” furrion back camera I put on there.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJH View Post
I thought of that too! We won't be using the external fridge as it is 120V only and we'll be boondocking more than on shore power. Plus, two of us will be fine with the internal ridge capacity.

Seems like this is the way to go. If mine is saggy on the inspection, I'll just leave it and do this type of rework.

I love this idea for the cat box. Keeps it "outside" and makes maintaining a breeze. Quick note to put it on your "items to secure" list, cause dear god that could be a crazy mess!
Old 10-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #24

Love our Micro. It’s 90% of what you need in a camper at 40% of the fuss. There is a laundry list of things I have had to button up, but that’s just RV life, nothing horrendous so far (well, maybe solar wiring, but that was an easy fix). And that is coming from first timer.

For the thread, if you got the Thule racks, the Yakima Deep Space 10 fits very nicely and adds nearly 30 cu ft of storage. See pic (that is sideways, no idea why)
Attached Thumbnails
3AC3EF6E-1478-4885-A377-2DA15B3A65B0.jpg  
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #25
EJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLo View Post
Love our Micro. It’s 90% of what you need in a camper at 40% of the fuss. There is a laundry list of things I have had to button up, but that’s just RV life, nothing horrendous so far (well, maybe solar wiring, but that was an easy fix). And that is coming from first timer.

For the thread, if you got the Thule racks, the Yakima Deep Space 10 fits very nicely and adds nearly 30 cu ft of storage. See pic (that is sideways, no idea why)
How does the cargo box affect MPG (or is MPG so bad, it doesn't matter, lol?).

Also the Thule racks are a great place to mount an additional solar panel. I need to see how the stock 180W panel treats us, but thinking we'll end up wanting more. Much easier to mount on the rack instead of drilling into the roof. One YouTube video shows this on the 166FBS.

Tough choice for us. I can definitely see the cargo box helping with storage for toys.
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #26

Love our Jayco! We have the solar package and would like to add additional solar to charge an electric generator. We would like to connect into our existing solar package set-up. Would we need an additional battery?
linmicsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLo View Post

From the picture, it looks like the Thule racks hold rather nicely if you flip your TT on its side.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by linmicsar View Post
Love our Jayco! We have the solar package and would like to add additional solar to charge an electric generator. We would like to connect into our existing solar package set-up. Would we need an additional battery?
Short/easy answer is -yes. The long answer is really long with lots of variables.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #29
DK1

7" Furrion back up camera

I just picked up my 171BH and had the dealer install the Furrion backup and side cameras with the 7" cab monitor. I have a Chevy Colorado for TV.

It was nice to see out back while driving the TT home and I had to actually PASS someone way slower than me... A van in front of me had slowed to under 40MPH on our 70 MPH highway... so it was nice to be able to see out back while driving.

Now backing up???? Yikes what I mess for me. I have good visibility down the length of the trailer and have the view out back but honestly it seems like when you look down the length of the trailer in the mirrors and use the back up camera, you seem to looking/going straight only to find your rig is off 30 degrees from straight back. Yes I have to practice but the camera system (to me) makes it seem you are AOK and are going straight back, when you are not... So my experience, is that it's helping very much... I may resort to stick on flags and use the mirrors of the truck, using the backup camera to gauge generally how far back I've gone.

My $0.02!
DK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #30

There is no doubt that parking for the first time (and 2 and 3rd) is rough. I found it was nice to be able to see my wife in the back telling me stuff.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
From the picture, it looks like the Thule racks hold rather nicely if you flip your TT on its side.
That is how I get to the stuff in the box! Just tip it over....
Old 11-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #32

2021 166fbs LOVE IT.
Polegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:42 PM   #33

What's that rail on the rooftop above the slideout?

On the 166fbs there is a metal rail that spans the roof line above where the slide is. Is that for roof integrity/strength because of the hole they made for the slide, or is it a handy rail for us to attach other mounted items?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #34

Solar + Solar ?

Anybody using both [roof-mounted solar with mppt or PWM contoller] and [ground-mounted portable solar plugged into the SAE port on the trailer tongue] at the same time?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:39 PM   #35

@Alan1, the bar your talking about if its the one I am thinking of (my trailer is at the storage location so cant quickly look) is part of the Thule roof rack. Its the one with holes in it right?

Honestly on this trailer its in a goofy spot as its only half usable due to the location of the AC...

As for the solar question, yes, the "Solar on the side" is a totally separate tie in to the battery. It does not go through the PWM GoPower controller that comes with some of the trailers. To use it a solar panel must have its own controller, MPPT or PWM either will work.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
@Alan1, the bar your talking about if its the one I am thinking of (my trailer is at the storage location so cant quickly look) is part of the Thule roof rack. Its the one with holes in it right?

Honestly on this trailer its in a goofy spot as its only half usable due to the location of the AC...

As for the solar question, yes, the "Solar on the side" is a totally separate tie in to the battery. It does not go through the PWM GoPower controller that comes with some of the trailers. To use it a solar panel must have its own controller, MPPT or PWM either will work.
Yes, the rail with the holes in it. It's just a single rail. I can't find any information on it. It looks like the "Upright Roof Rack" for bikes but I can't imagine standing a bike in the roof. I don't see anything revealing in all of the manuals that came with the trailer.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:31 AM   #37

Ok, I was slightly mis-spoken, I took some pictures today, the bar with holes is just there for the ladder to hang off the side of the trailer. The Thule rack is separate bars, next to it on the top of the roof that cannot be seen from the ground, see pictures.

There is another "bar" that is mounted to the side of the trailer, between the slide and the gutter. I am not sure what that is for, it might be to attach a slide topper, maybe, but not sure. I attached pictures of that as well, maybe someone else would know?

As for putting a bike or something else up there, I dont plan on it, as its much easier to put them in the truck bed. But it does make a solid place for additional solar panels and no holes in the roof...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1254.jpg   IMG_1262.jpg   IMG_1263.jpg  
Old 01-02-2022, 01:22 AM   #38
Site Team

snip...[QUOTE=TomC_AZ;1019631
There is another "bar" that is mounted to the side of the trailer, between the slide and the gutter. I am not sure what that is for, it might be to attach a slide topper, maybe, but not sure. I attached pictures of that as well, maybe someone else would know?[/QUOTE]

You are right, that one is for a slide topper. The piping on the TT side of the topper fabric slides into the groove, just like an awning fabric.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #39

Confirmed... and thanks!
"This is installed on every Micro unit. It is so the rear removable ladder can be put on the side of the unit as well to climb up. It is more useable when a roof rack is optioned in for putting cargo on the roof, but when the roof rack is not optioned in, it is there simply for climbing up from the side."
Old 01-30-2022, 08:06 PM   #40

Drawer Fail

Anybody else having drawer issues?

After a weekend shakedown trip I, needed to take the trailer into the service center for issues with the drawers not staying closed. Their solution was to put in Old School drawer catches in addition to the ones that are were mounted on the drawers.

Now, on a week-long trip, the drawers began having issues again. I found that the bottom of the largest drawer had separated from the back. Very disappointing to remove and find that the back end of the drawer bottom is just stapled up into the back of the drawer. So, any time you hit a serious bump with your trailer, all that force is transferred to pulling downward against those staple crowns--straight down with nothing to hold it in place other than the staples. I found that the thin plywood had just pulled right through the staple crowns. [I don't know how to rotate the photo]

That drawer is really large, right? In it I stored aluminum pot & pan, cutlery, and other needful things. Thinking that it was my fault, I weighed it. 9.7 pounds doesn't seem out of spec.

Rather than take this in for a repair, I think I'll re-engineer it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
20220128_184622.jpg