Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #41

Well, you haven't lived until your bed collapses at 0300 and you wind up with self and spouse trapped head down, 45 degree angle, mingling with your tools and what not! Now that was a SHOCK!

Now this 2014 287bhbe was purchased brand new, had 3 trips on it, AND had been to the dealership 2 times already to fix the bed hinge, which obviously was not yet fixed, their claims to the contrary. This could have caused serious injury.

I made 2 promises that early morning, 1 - that dealer, jayco in mesquite Texas, would NEVER see me or the trailer ever again. And 2 - I would fix it myself, which I did. Still have the trailer, but I can guarantee you I'll never have another jayco!
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #42

We just bought a new jayco , we have problems with door latching , it keeps popping open on its own . Floor bubbled after we left the lot and it was fixed two weeks later , took it north four hours away and now bedroom wall is bulging out near a seam 😩
Heather11paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #43

Oh Heather, that sounds bad. Almost like there is moisture in there swelling up in places. As much as I hate to say it, since it's so new, you should take it back to them soonest and let them see and hopefully fix it. If that panel should open up that's way beyond a user repair, that could get into structural stuff.

Lemon law in your state??? Worth checking into.

good luck,
cheers
cjack
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #44

So Happy (Not for you guys, but myself) to hear of the Jayco problems. I was just getting ready to buy a Jayco Precept and will now reconsider. Jayco will have to win my confidence back. I presently have a 2014 Melbourne and very satisfied with it. Maybe I should just keep the old buggy.
ron-n-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The good news is that Jayco has an excellent 2 year warranty. We went through several dealers with many problems and after 18 months of things happening most have been resolved.

On a side note we leave our big trailer in Az and bought a trailer this month for use at home. It is not a Jayco
The true colors of that w year warantee come out once you ha e a claim, im on my second trailer, second claim diffrent dealer same issue with Jayco
2019 - Jayco - JayFeather SLX 174BH
enri1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #46

We have a 2014 White Hawk 29REKS and, frankly, have had VERY few problems with it. We do have the issue of a couple of cabinet doors opening after going down the highway, but, after all, you're moving a "house" down the highway so some of that's to be expected IMHO. Of course, this unit was built before Thor "got their grubby hands" on Jayco, so I believe that the quality was better prior to mid-2016.

We had a post-warranty issue of the propane line to the stove getting crimped on the slide-out and I called the local dealer (who I had bought the unit from). The first words from the service department was "we're backed up about 6 weeks". I told them that I had bought the unit from them and expected better service than that. They connected me to another service advisor who told me "bring it in tomorrow". The fix took about an hour, so I considered the local purchase of the trailer to be worthwhile.

I was considering purchasing a new Jayco 34RSBS, but I'll be taking a REALLY close look at today's quality before making a purchase.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Didn't Thor buy Jayco? I imagine the quality or lack of is about the same but the new owners may not be as responsive as the original company.
In my experience the original company was never very responsive slow payments on claimed Parts took forever dealers or just generally unhappy taking in a Jayco warranty
Old 06-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrcorr View Post
I had a long list of issues before it was ever used. Worst workmanship ever, I regret purchasing a Jayco product.
I hear you I have the same setiment and this is my second Jayco trailer basically because price but you get what you pay for
Old 06-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #49

Send a message via MSN to SlowpokeS3R Send a message via Yahoo to SlowpokeS3R
Quote:
Originally Posted by enri1982 View Post
Well after upgradimg my hybird to a jayfeather I drove away fom the dealer and stayed the night in my new shinny RV 2019 model but by morning I have a list of defects. Has anyone experienced this? I had major water leaks on my previous 2015 double murphy bed hybird but this one does not even have slide outs..

Heres my list to see if anyone else has had this.

Hub grease cover missing on 1 rim.
AC leaks inside cabinet and window under it.
Door does not seal.
Door hatch does not close easy / right.
Front window leaks in rain while driving.
Passanger side tail light takes in water.
Wood frame under sink in cabinet has come off.
Some cabinets open while on highway.

Attachment 39950Attachment 39951Attachment 39952Attachment 39953Attachment 39954
I purchased my Octane and the rear door fully closed I could see daylight. Would have never known had I not slept in one morning. So stink bugs set up camp, and it took half of spring to rid ourselves of the infestation.
SlowpokeS3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #50

I think they didn’t hit the 2x2 putting up the wall panel cause it’s right at the seam where they apply that wallpaper strip to cover seam , I’m gonna take notes on all of the flaws this summer then take it back while under warranty for all that I find to be fixed at the same time , we bought it at general rv in the southern part of Michigan and they don’t have a dealer where we have it parked for the summer unfortunately �� hopefully my list won’t be too long at the end of the summer ��
Old 06-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The Bontrager boys are still running JAYCO, they are an operating division of THOR just like AIRSTREAM.
This is true but instead of giving orders they're taking them now.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #52

I think ours was made on a Friday lol I do love it though , hopefully I don’t find any more flaws
Old 06-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #53
hhg

It is a Jayco! What did you expect?
hhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #54

I bought a 2014 Eagle Premier 5th wheel and had a couple of small issues with the outside door lock alignment and that was it. My local dealer fixed it and it works fine now. We have been all over the western states and in hard pouring rains and not one leak anywhere roof, slides, compartments, nothing. If I had one complaint it is tires. Do not leave those cheap tires on the trailer if you buy a new one. Get a better quality like Maxxs. The cheap imported trailer tires should be outlawed. This problem is not exclusive to Jayco, it seems all of the trailer manufacturers cheap out on tires. I really like Jayco and would buy another one if I live that long.
Rusty Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #55

Angry Yes JAYCO wiring is very amaturish and even unsafe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennhillier View Post
I had to remove some panels to get at a slideout controller, look like the wiring was done by kindergarten student playing with string. You think a company could invest in wire ties!!

As a journeyman electrician I am very nervous about the wiring that I have seen in our 2017 Seismic 4113, Under gauged, over ampasity loads, poor load balancing on service panel, line voltage and low voltage not only running together but tied together, poor connections, loose connections, sub grade junction boxes, shared neutrals, lack of surge suppression over/under voltage protection, shore power cable connections loose over gas tanks (bad place for over heating or sparks), light switches either in bad location or non-existant, lack of any code compliance or safety, no bulkhead grommets. The low voltage is a complete mess, no professionalism or pride there either. Fuses screwed to a plywood board, none of the wires labeled, circuits not isolated by a fuse nor a disconnect switch to name a few. If I am to "sleep" in this RV I will have to install extra fire extinguishers and more smoke detectors! A house built like this would never pass inspection and the installer would loose their licence!
2008 Ford F450
https://www.rvillage.com/group/2785/jayco-seismic-4113-5th-wheel-lif
kwithey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #56

My 2018 Jayco White Hawk was full of defects

First time we used the travel trailer, the slide would not open or close properly... after three weeks at the dealership, they found out that the slide platform that Jayco installed was too big.... 3 weeks mind you and another week to get the proper platform.

After the slide platform was installed, we took it for another shakedown on a trip. Wood frames started to fall apart because the staples were not holding and from I can see no glue was used. The Toilet does not flush properly. The Microwave did not work. The glued on backsplash was falling off. Overall the workmanship was pathetic.

I bought the Jayco because of the dealership who sells many different RVs assured me that Jayco was the best and that the workmanship was performed by Amish "craftsman".

Talked to a number of Jayco Dealers and ALL said it would take months to fix all the problems. One confessed to me that they are too busy to handle warranty service because they are too busy preparing RVs that are sold at their dealership. One Jayco dealer suggested that I contact an RV Mobile service. I did and he said he was not interested because he had to wait months to get reimbursed for his labor and parts.

I am now, at my own expense, fixing all the manufacturing "craftsman" defects and replacing the microwave with another manufacturer that I trust not one that markets "Made in China" products and that does not stand behind their product.

We are soon going to upgrade to a 40 foot Fifth wheel and I can assure you it will NOT be a Jayco product.

BEWARE of Jayco Products and their warranty service
Sandy5288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather11paul View Post
We just bought a new jayco , we have problems with door latching , it keeps popping open on its own . Floor bubbled after we left the lot and it was fixed two weeks later , took it north four hours away and now bedroom wall is bulging out near a seam ��
Please Note for this Quote and the Others: These are build quality and structural issues, not component issues. Jayco and others can and should do better. Before someone gives us the dealer/schmealer/stealer spew or tells us, "for all the units they crank out, a few of the will have problems," it is a lot more than a few. Far too many for what we pay for them. How many of the so-called "trouble free" units are deemed such because the owner is unaware, not tuned into the units flaws and derelictions that will limit the unit's functionality, owner enjoyment, purchase value, and/or jeopardize their safety? How many units are owned by people who lack discernment for quality and/or safety? A lot (likely most, given our disposable purchasing instant gratification culture) of consumers maintain a low bar for quality, and many are ignorant or irresponsible about safety matters.

And before someone tells us about all of the costs of goods, blah, blah, blah - These companies (not the workers) are making a killing. Our only options are to stop buying them; buy them knowing we are getting reamed and do what we can to remake them properly ourselves; build our own from scratch; and/or create our own consumer group that hounds the RV manufacturers and governmental agencies to force the RV industry to make better products. People had to do the same with autos. The RV industry continues to fall through regulatory cracks. It's quite the racket really. We spend our savings on the purchase of these things and then spend the rest of our money and our time buying the Industry's repair and aftermarket products to get something that sort of approximates what the manufacturer should have made it to be from the start.

I do frequently question my participation in the charade. It is in large part a nostalgia play. It is also like a bad relationship. At the very beginning, you thought it was going to be great. Then all the ugly comes out. You try to fix it, but believing there is a way to keep the dream alive and make things right, you just keep going deeper and deeper into the dysfunction. A few nice moments here and there, sure. But at what price? I guess I do not have a better recreational or hobby option right now. So RVIA LA JAYCO!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwithey View Post
If I am to "sleep" in this RV I will have to install extra fire extinguishers and more smoke detectors! A house built like this would never pass inspection and the installer would loose their licence!
All the major electrical boards, circuit breakers and a mass of wiring are under the queen bed in our Greyhawk bedroom. Seeing all that, I tidied it up a bit and installed a battery powered smoke alarm beneath our bed.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #59

Add me to the list of Jayco Travel Trailer 2017 owners spending way too much time at the dealer for warranty repairs. Our previous Jayco 2005 can only remember one warranty repair.

The dumbest thing Jayco did on my Trailer, put the wrong plumbing in the outside kitchen. Used standard not Pex connections and lines. Big time leak, the connection blew off. Why is this the dumbest, the installers realized it was wrong, they patched it with extra clamps, rubber hose, just amazing. The water created additional problems.

The roof second dumbest. The front cap to roof, off by three inches. Caused a channel for water to pool. The roof repair cost me 30 days of use on my Trailer.

The list three typed pages long. In a week the Trailer goes back to the dealer for two more issues.

Sum it up, Jayco does not have a manufacturing facility with Any Quality Control Period. I am 100% sure they removed quality control as a cost savings. If anyone is considering Jayco Today, get a top notch dealer and be prepared to spend a good portion of the first two years drinking their coffee. My dealer outstanding, average coffee. Requested my dealer get an espresso system and sandwich shop for us Jayco Owners, considering!
npjaycof563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The saying is; "If you want things done right, you have to do it your self"
The problem is to many have two left hands and only like to complain.
Maybe our expectations are to high?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote