Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2022, 10:15 PM   #1

Keep losing power

We have a 2016 Whitehawk. For the last few days our keeps going in and out. The first time, we weren't doing anything out of the ordinary. Watching TV, etc etc. We're in it full time and have been stationary for the last 6 months. It didn't do it again for a few nights then it started back up again. Tonight it has gone out and stayed or for a while multiple times. It started doing it tonight when we turned our fan off, then every time we messed with the thermostat it would flicker. It only got worse from there. We've checked the power cord to the post and to the rig, both ends appeared fine, we've checked the breaker and it wasn't ever tripped.
Please help!
My little one gets scared..
NHenkel13915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:58 AM   #2

Is it AC power or DC power you are losing? If it is AC, did you check for voltage at the pedastal while you had no power inside? Sounds like it might be a problem with the campground. Are you using any type of electrical management system?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:10 AM   #3

Im going to act like I know what Im talking about and say AC? We are plugged up and stationary at our campground. We have been here 6 months and never had this issue. We are having them check later today. Do you mean management system as in a surge protector? If so, then no. I apologize, Im new to this lifestyle.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:12 AM   #4

If its useful information: While reading the owners manual last night I noticed the green light by the breaker inside. It went through all 3 modes last night. So Im assuming thats something with the battery?
Old 10-28-2022, 07:08 AM   #5

The first thing I would do is verify that power is not dropping at the pedestal. If you have to ask the campground to check while the power is out. It is important to start there as the problem may not be in your camper at all.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #6

While you were watching TV did the TV and the lights all go off at the same time? The TV most likely is 120 volts while the lights are 12 volts. If you lose one or the other power source it should not affect the other. That is provided you have a battery that can power the 12 volt items when not plugged in.

Intermittent problems can be a bear to track down. If it were me the first thing I would do is unplug from the pedestal and look at the plug end on the cord to make sure it is not burnt or corroded. You need a tight clean connection. If you have a loose connection at the pedestal you can easily lose power at any time. Simply unplugging and plugging back in often can solve this type of problem.

If you unplug see if everything goes off especially the lights. Usually the 12 volt items are powered by a battery which receives a charge from the rig's converter. If there is no battery or the battery is bad or disconnected, the converter will power all 12 volt items. In that case everything would go off when you lose 120 volt power.

You didn't mention your rig or what power you have - 30 amp or 50 amp. Might be time to acquire a voltmeter which can be your best friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:04 PM   #7

Same kind of thing happened to my friends camper. If it’s not a problem with the campground pedestal. There’s a junction box that ties the black power cord into the camper wiring and the wire nuts had vibrated loose. You may want to make sure those wire nuts are tight and tape them on.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #8

Had a similar problem happen this year at our seasonal. Because there were lights on in other units and campground lighting was working, I knew the intermittent problem was 'local' to our site. Long story short, it turned out that the prongs on the shoreline plug going into the pedestal needed a good buffing with steel wool. I've had a similar issue with furnaces installed in basements of houses that don't have good humidity control, the igniter will get a crust formed on it over time and then all of a sudden the furnace doesn't come on. I will now polish the prongs yearly.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
You may want to make sure those wire nuts are tight and tape them on.
Just make sure you either unplug from the pedestal or turn off the 120vac before messing with any of the wiring.

Lots of info on the web:
https://www.myrv.us/electric/

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I've had a similar issue with furnaces installed in basements of houses that don't have good humidity control, the igniter will get a crust formed on it over time and then all of a sudden the furnace doesn't come on. I will now polish the prongs yearly.
I have an emery board whose job it is to sit on the furnace awaiting its annual use for this very purpose.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #11

I would unplug the camper from the pedestal and then go into the power center in your camper and try tightening any and all screws you see in there. Make sure you unplug first! Many times the problem is just a loose screw in the power center that in time gets even looser from the heating and cooling of the connection.
rccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #12

Having an EMS system with a display of voltage and amperage is a plus to quickly eliminate the power at the pedestal.
However, nothing beats having a volt/ohm amp meter to do a quick check.
I was plugged into a 50Amp plug at a pedestal but using a 30Amp adapter.
Having problems with A/C and EMS dropping out then resetting itself like it should.
Found voltage low on the leg feeding the 30Amp adapter but other leg was fine.
So the EMS indicated a problem and the meter confirmed it and where it was!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #13

would be a good idea to go ahead and get a surge protector regardless. then you can tell what is happening at the pedestal. helps answer that question.

Tags
electric, electrical issues, no power