Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
snip...... Does anyone have the hardwired one?
Your thoughts?
Never leave home or the campsite without it....., great product.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
I have the portable & its plug & play, that's it. I use a good quality plastic bag over the unit with a small hole cut on top so the plug wire gets through it & keeps the rain off. I lock it on the pedestal with a chain & padlock. No need to always be seeing the display. When the lights go out I walk outside to inspect the power pedestal anyway to see if a circuit breaker tripped off. Great unit & no regrets that its a portable. I can use it for other plug ins if needed. I would buy the portable again if needed. I used it for well over 170 camping nights without problems. It saved my unit a few times from under surge.
This is exactly why I installed a hardwired unit, plug in the cord and done. Don't need to use a plastic bag to keep it dry, Don't have to lock it to the pedestal hoping someone won't steal it, When the power goes out I don't have to walk outside in the rain and move the wet bag to read the code. To each their own but to me it was a no brainer and less than 30 minutes to install the hardwired unit
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #23

I installed the EMS-HW30C and it is just what I was looking for. Made in the USA, able to be serviced in place, bypass for When I'm using the generator and easy to install once I fit myself under the bunk to install it. Instead of trying to be able to see the readout all the time, it installed in the storage space so I can easily check if I have a concern.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5489.JPG   IMG_5491.JPG  
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:17 AM   #24

Appreciate the install location pics.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I have the portable Progressive PMS and am happy with it. It has caught a couple of problems already so I would not go with out it. I like that I can just take it out of the system or replace it easily if needed. That and I didn't feel like doing the install when I purchased it. My only fear is forgetting it on the campground pedestal when I am 300 miles down the road. So far that has t happened

I keep my Seneca at home and plug in to the house electrical system. I have been using the PMS but am wondering if I really need it while at home. Any thoughts?
I have an EMS-PT50X (used to be PT50C) and I NEVER EVER plug in anywhere without it. I actually have two of them. One to use if the primary ever has to go back for service. This has happened twice over my 8 years full time.

To comment on your question about needing it when plugged in at home, my answer is yes. While on my home base site (residential neighborhood) I have had two problems that my EMS saved me from. The first was sustained high voltage due to a failing power company transformer. My next door neighbor in a home said later he had lost most of the incandescent light bulbs in his home. I had no damage. The second time was due to high voltage spikes. The power company didn't even know it was happening. It was always very early in the morning. It took them a couple of weeks to find it and then stop it. I took a picture of the EMS screen showing the error code and sent to them. One of the lineman that came out said he was going to buy a PT50X after seeing mine.

So back to my original response - NEVER EVER without my PT50X !

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
This is exactly why I installed a hardwired unit, plug in the cord and done. Don't need to use a plastic bag to keep it dry, Don't have to lock it to the pedestal hoping someone won't steal it, When the power goes out I don't have to walk outside in the rain and move the wet bag to read the code. To each their own but to me it was a no brainer and less than 30 minutes to install the hardwired unit
Obviously to each his own, but when my portable gets zapped and has to go back for service (this has happened to me twice) I pull my spare unit out and plug it in. I'm still protected. Not as easy with the hard wired unit, but since the "guts" are field replaceable (is this still an option since the company has new owners?) I guess you could do it if you had the spare "guts".

I use my EMS 24/7/365 and have for the past 8 years. It hasn't taken off walking yet.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #27

The newer versions of both the 30a and 50a portables have a built in weather protection that covers the plug. There's no need for a bag or anything to cover it.
Portable or hardwired, you should still check the pedestal if the power goes out. I always do just to make sure everything is ok back there and it's not up in flames!!LOL!.
Again, It's just a matter of preference. My power cable goes in to my rig over by the water heater. It's very tight in there. This was the primary reason I went portable. If I had a more open area, I may have gone hard wired.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #28

Quote:
And if the hardwired unit goes down in the middle of the night your in trouble.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Wouldn't this be the same issue if your portable unit goes down in the middle of the night?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #30

Quote:
And if the hardwired unit goes down in the middle of the night your ****ed.
Well not exactly true, it has a switch to bypass the system to get power back on. In your case you need to get dressed, find a flashlight, maybe a raincoat and shoes, go outside in the cold and mess with your cords. Meanwhile I am back to sleep. Cant beat a hardwired unit.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Well not exactly true, it has a switch to bypass the system to get power back on. In your case you need to get dressed, find a flashlight, maybe a raincoat and shoes, go outside in the cold and mess with your cords. Meanwhile I am back to sleep. Cant beat a hardwired unit.
Well, in his/her defense, you ARE camping. [emoji28]

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #32

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that the surge protector is bypassed if there is a circuit board failure and still will provide 120 to the trailer.

Could be wrong.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #33

I have a hardwired unit in mine, but I installed it with 50-amp plugs and receptacles so I can completely bypass it in the event of total failure. 2 minute job if I ever need to.

Yes, I have the bypass switch on my display, but reportedly a big surge can take it out so it won't pass any power at all, bypassed or not.

May have to see if I can get just the fusible part(s) from PI for that occasion it does sacrifice itself doing its surge job. It already has earned its keep saving me from low voltage and miswired outlets!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Okay since this turned into a pissing contest I will say that a bypass switch is a good & necessary feature for a hardwired unit. I have to say that the torturous scenario with the rain sounds pretty crappy, even though it never happened to me. One last thing in defense of the portable unit is that it can be useful in other applications if I needed protection of other electronic devices & if I sell my camper I can keep it & use it for something else.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #35

I didn't look at it as a pissing contest but more like a debate. And through all this many different reasons pro and con for both sides came to the table, many I had not thought of when I made my purchase. Hopefully this has helped the OP to decide which way they want to go.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #36

I keep going back and forth. Much of it depends on where I purchase the TT, and if I can get them to install it as part of the deal.
I'm partial to the hardwire, but I'll go with the portable unit if I end up purchasing from a dealer further away from home.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #37

I've used my portable to check the power for others before they hook up, then explain why they need one.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
I installed the EMS-HW30C and it is just what I was looking for. Made in the USA, able to be serviced in place, bypass for When I'm using the generator . . .
If you use a "bonding plug" on one of the unused outlets on your generator you won't have to put the EMS in bypass. Keeps you from getting the E2 error and keeps your travel trailer protected even when it's running on generator. Been doing this for years with several Honda and Champion generators with zero issues.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wouldn't this be the same issue if your portable unit goes down in the middle of the night?

Not if you have two of them like I do. I full time and feel this extra expense is worth it. If my primary takes a hit I plug in the backup (Both are 50X's with the socket cover) and go on about my businss. For weekend only use that is a decision each will have to make, but changing out a hard wired unit in the middle of the night or changing the guts out wouldn't be nearly as fast or easy.

How many with hard wired units have a complete set of the "guts"?

Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
I've used my portable to check the power for others before they hook up, then explain why they need one.
Ahh... An educational tool as well. I like that!!

It's completely a matter of personal choice. One is NOT BETTER than the other. They both perform the same EXACT protection.