Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #81

This was my RC Jet RIP. The Lipo's were capable of discharging the entire pack in 5 minutes. EV batteries can not handle that type of discharge and are much safer.
Attached Thumbnails
Viperjet (2).jpg  
TheTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Wow, a few grand a year, how many gallons are you buying a year.
With what u are driving no. Good old California fuel taxes are $1.18 per gallon. Just doing average 15k per year at 25 MPG that’s $600 not being paid for road maint. Most big truck owners pull big boats or RVs and it costs us a fortune in highway taxes that they want to raise. Yes that is our choice we made to have fun. But do not raise gas tax without an EV tax per mile. I just towed 7,500 miles at 10 MPG. Thank god I stayed away from most blue state gas taxes.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #83
CAG

Yep more diesel engines running to keep the electric charging station in operation.

Until this entire electric situation becomes more "electric" and less supported by oil, coal and natural gas these vehicles are a grand experiment in destruction of the earth. Think not? We pull trace minerals out of the earth to produce batteries that, at the end of their life are much like nuclear rods in the damage they do the the earth when we try to get rid of them.

So, here is another little tidbit for thought. Most all of the wars on this planet have been fought for three things. Land, choke points and, you guessed it, trace minerals. Next war with China over trace minerals, location to be decided later.

I hesitate to add religion as the other major reason for war because that will probably close this thread down.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #84
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
This was my RC Jet RIP. The Lipo's were capable of discharging the entire pack in 5 minutes. EV batteries can not handle that type of discharge and are much safer.

Yep. Watched more than one of those burn in the desert after a crash.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #85
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
My wife and I have been flying RC since 1972...have 5 digit AMA number. We are all electric now, mostly 3 cell LiPo's, and a jet that flies on a 4 cell. It will do almost 100 mph, but only a 4 1/2 minute flight time. I've seen crashes that started a LiPo fire a couple of times....burns super hot and fast with lots of toxic smoke. The price of batteries has been steadily increasing just like everything else, that is mainly why we are sticking to the smaller batteries. A good 6 cell is over $100 now for one battery.

A friend showed me the batteries in his early Toyota Prius...rows of LiPo's all wired together. That would be a real problem if one ignited

Photos of my wife's Cherokee and the hanger in our garage.

Unfortunately, the death of RC will be electric. I know, I am a throwback but as electric came into RC, the thrill of a gas or glow engine and the noise associated with it (real engines) has gone away. Now planes on the field give off a rrrrrrrrr noise instead of an engine sound. Who every flew a real plane (full sized) that sound like a rrrrrrrr? RC planes, and real warbirds are dead!

Old 12-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Unfortunately, the death of RC will be electric. I know, I am a throwback but as electric came into RC, the thrill of a gas or glow engine and the noise associated with it (real engines) has gone away. Now planes on the field give off a rrrrrrrrr noise instead of an engine sound. Who every flew a real plane (full sized) that sound like a rrrrrrrr? RC planes, and real warbirds are dead!
As population keeps increasing noise complaints increase as well. That has already cost many flying clubs their venue. We lost one in the late 90's. When I got out of the sport nitro fuel was getting scarce as well. Those 2 reasons were why many people left and went on to other hobbies. At least with electrics those two issues were handled. RTF electrics also introduced many people to flying due to a low cost of startup. There will always be people that like fuel driven engines but there are others that dislike the noise and mess associated with them.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #87

All I want to know is when will my Ram 3500 go EV? I want to drive 300-400 miles pulling 32,000 lbs and recharge in 15 min and do it again. All with free electric and no highway tax!!
Old 12-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #88

Electric vehicles and green energy is a giant scam. There is no “green” or net zero vehicle available. It’s all propaganda. Every piece of plastic in the electric vehicle was made from a fossil fuel. The lithium for the batteries was mined using diesel heavy equipment and transported by diesel trucks. Places like California already have an over worked power grid, what happens when everyone plugs in thier car at the same time when they get home at the end of the day then crank on their home ACs to cool their homes…more blackouts.

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/mines-minerals-and-green-energy-reality-check
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:36 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
All I want to know is when will my Ram 3500 go EV? I want to drive 300-400 miles pulling 32,000 lbs and recharge in 15 min and do it again. All with free electric and no highway tax!!
That's what I'm looking for too.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #90

good luck with that,,
Old 12-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #91

Cliff,
We can dream anyway!
Old 12-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
Electric vehicles and green energy is a giant scam. There is no “green” or net zero vehicle available. It’s all propaganda. Every piece of plastic in the electric vehicle was made from a fossil fuel. The lithium for the batteries was mined using diesel heavy equipment and transported by diesel trucks. Places like California already have an over worked power grid, what happens when everyone plugs in thier car at the same time when they get home at the end of the day then crank on their home ACs to cool their homes…more blackouts.

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...-reality-check
The reality of a perpetual motion machine has never, nor will ever, come to fruition. Maybe our planet has some level of sustainability, but we'll never know because we are heading in the wrong direction.

Back in the late 1960's, when environmental and ecological thoughts first came into play, scientists said that population growth was part of the problem, if not the root cause. many of us took the ZPG pledge and vowed to have no more than 2 children. In Al Gore's book he alluded to the fact that having too many people was the source of the energy crisis, but he didn't emphasize it enough.

Of course, since he has 4 kids I guess he didn't personally take it seriously.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
good luck with that,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Cliff,
We can dream anyway!
I'm sure not holding my breath! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
The reality of a perpetual motion machine has never, nor will ever, come to fruition. Maybe our planet has some level of sustainability, but we'll never know because we are heading in the wrong direction.

Back in the late 1960's, when environmental and ecological thoughts first came into play, scientists said that population growth was part of the problem, if not the root cause. many of us took the ZPG pledge and vowed to have no more than 2 children. In Al Gore's book he alluded to the fact that having too many people was the source of the energy crisis, but he didn't emphasize it enough.

Of course, since he has 4 kids I guess he didn't personally take it seriously.
I have read more articles that lean both ways. Just using common sense will tell you this is a stupid idea. Just the fact that if all the heavy machinery used for mining were EV would cause this. To power this equipment half the mining would be used just to power this heavy equipment. More Nuke power and hydrogen is what is needed. Hazardous waste is treaded by burning, neutralizing or just buried. All the new green energy mineral mining, processing and waste stream disposal needs to be in all the green states. That would end this stupidity.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I hear ya... I loved the sound of my nitro rc cars with 2 speed transmissions, but the electrics perform so much better now that it's totally taking over the racing scene.

As for the planes, the electric ducted fans sound amazing! I prefer the sound over the nitro setups.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...-reality-check
I don't think anyone is saying EV's are net zero emissions. That would definitely be propaganda!

EV's are actually worse for the environment during the first few years of ownership. EV's win in the long run though. Don't forget that oil also uses diesel to be extracted. Massive diesel generators are used on every off shore oil rig. The ships used to transport oil use very dirty diesel. Diesel 18 wheelers are used to deliver. The refineries are the worst offenders. People that live near them suffer from the poor air quality. Electricity has a much cleaner delivery system, but like you said.. they are definitely not net zero.

Most people charge their EV's during off peak hours. I have mine set to charge at 2am.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #97

wind turbines use oil, grease, and never pay for themselves, the cost of manufacturing and installation costs out weigh their usefulness, then when they uselessness is done and they become out dated, what do they do with them, and batteries and solar,, ask France what they do with their batteries after they are outdated,,