Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Trailers W/ An Exterior Bathroom Entrance Question

I am considering another mod on our 32 of adding a second water pump switch in the bathroom. Running the wire would be pretty easy from the pump. I am just not sure where a good location for the switch would be. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have considered either in the side of the sink cabinet which would be very easy or maybe a wall switch near the light switch if I can get a wire ran through the wall. My only concern is if the switch gets flipped and I (or whoever turned it on) didn't notice.

Was considering it so if we stop along the road for a restroom break, don't need to open the main door to turn the pump on & off. Can just enter the bathroom and flip the switch to the pump.

If I do this mod I will post pics in my mods thread.

TY!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #2

Totally agree, and I'm thinking the same thing regarding a remote pump switch. The best place I've come up with is on the vanity wall, near the external camper door. Sort of easy to flip the switch from standing outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

I think this is a great idea. I would go with the cabinet location simply for ease of routing and to prevent someone from accidentally turning it on.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:28 AM   #4

Put a couple of gallon jugs of water in the shower/tub before each trip. Ready when you are and no wiring, drilling or fussing about.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

We added a lighted switch on the sink cabinet in our previous TT. You could see it when the pump was turned on. It was one of the best mods we did. We had a 26RLS, when slides were closed we had to open the rear exterior door, turn on pump switch, open exterior bedroom door use bathroom, lock bedroom door, go back to rear door turn off switch and then lock rear door. It got old real quick when we were on the road especially with children.

When we upgraded that was a requirement for me. Now we can access the TT from front to back with slide outs closed and our pump switch is just located outside the bathroom door on the kitchen side.

It is a great mod.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Put a couple of gallon jugs of water in the shower/tub before each trip. Ready when you are and no wiring, drilling or fussing about.
I'd like to have a water pump switch in my bathroom, but it's sure hard to argue with this logic!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Great idea, but where is the fun in that??? Lol As Bob mentioned it is hard to argue this logic though.

I am leaning toward mounting a momentary switch just below the counter top, in the front of the cabinet where it would be accessible without opening the cabinet door.

All mods on hold for now while the trailer is in for some warranty work.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #8

Just added this one to my list. Darn good idea. Yes, some water jugs would be easy for me but I think my wife (who is usually the reason for the bathroom stops on the road) would like a switch better. We stop for bathroom breaks every hour or two while on the road and the going back and forth from front to rear door is getting old. I guess I could just travel with the pump on and not worry about it but having it on while driving is likely not a good idea.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #9

Has anyone ever used a pair of three way switches for this? It's done all the time in home wiring where you have 2 or more switches that control the lights in a home. You need 3 way switches and 3 (2 hot and 1 ground) wire between the switches.

I have a water pump switch outside in my "Utility Center" and if you turn the pump on there you have to turn it off there - same with the inside switch.

I just wonder why the RV industry has never adopted this simple solution. Probably because nobody makes the type of rocker switch in a 3 way version that fits the standard RV panels?

This page, with diagram, shows how it works in home wiring. Absolutely no reason it wouldn't also work in an RV at 12v.
3 Way Switch Wiring Diagram
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Has anyone ever used a pair of three way switches for this? It's done all the time in home wiring where you have 2 or more switches that control the lights in a home. You need 3 way switches and 3 (2 hot and 1 ground) wire between the switches.

I have a water pump switch outside in my "Utility Center" and if you turn the pump on there you have to turn it off there - same with the inside switch.

I just wonder why the RV industry has never adopted this simple solution. Probably because nobody makes the type of rocker switch in a 3 way version that fits the standard RV panels?

This page, with diagram, shows how it works in home wiring. Absolutely no reason it wouldn't also work in an RV at 12v.
3 Way Switch Wiring Diagram
Here is someone who did it with some pics. Second water pump switch

This is definitely on my mod list, running wire is gonna be a pain but putting kids in the back door of the camper (which on ours is also on the OPPOSITE side) and then going up to turn the pump on is a pain. First time I drop the under-skirting for any reason I think this will be done. I honestly don't know why they didn't just put the switch in the bathroom, I would have far rather had it there than the main control in the front.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote