Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #1

Waste Tank Valve Leak?

I searched for an answer to my following question but no results. We have a new 2020 Eagle 280RSOK and are currently in the middle of our first multi-night outing. Love the trailer and no problems with any systems except this: the black and gray waste tank outflow valves are all controlled by a handle/cable system. The valves themselves are buried somewhere above the belly pan where they can’t be seen. The only part of the dump system that can be seen (besides the control valves) is the sanicon connection that is simply the capped drain pipe, without any type of gate valve. The problem I have is when I remove the drain cap to hook up a sewer hose, about a cup or two of water pours out onto the ground. Judging from looks and lack of smell it appears to be gray water. It seems that at least one of the tank valves is leaking through even though I’m careful to make sure they are all closed as tightly as possible by pushing firmly on the controlling handles at the control station. Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions? TIA!
Old 03-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Seahawks! View Post
The problem I have is when I remove the drain cap to hook up a sewer hose, about a cup or two of water pours out onto the ground.
Is it after you've traveled or just sitting? With our PINNACLE the pipe had a slight belly and water would settle there and then when we moved it would run to the cap.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #3

One thing that I have found in the past is if you aren't level"ish" when you dump there may be leftover grey water left in the pipe. I always drain the black tank 1st and the grey tank 2nd.
kevysinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
CAG

Several things that could go wrong here. Some food or solid item caught on the disc/valve allowing some water to seep through. A bad seal on the disc that is not seating.

Normally the grey tank is left open and the black closed. The grey is then closed a day or so before you plan to flush the black. On that day the black is opened, flushed followed by the grey to purge the line of unpleasantness.

My suggestion would be to close the grey for a couple of shower cycles and then open it and close it several times during the flush cycle to see if that clears the valve. If not, I would not worry too much about a slight grey leak pending a warranty trip for repair.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

I had a similar issue, but my problem was with the Black tank valve.
Here is the thread I had a while back.

I hope this may help you a little.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lem-70433.html

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
I searched for an answer to my following question but no results. We have a new 2020 Eagle 280RSOK and are currently in the middle of our first multi-night outing. Love the trailer and no problems with any systems except this: the black and gray waste tank outflow valves are all controlled by a handle/cable system. The valves themselves are buried somewhere above the belly pan where they can’t be seen. The only part of the dump system that can be seen (besides the control valves) is the sanicon connection that is simply the capped drain pipe, without any type of gate valve. The problem I have is when I remove the drain cap to hook up a sewer hose, about a cup or two of water pours out onto the ground. Judging from looks and lack of smell it appears to be gray water. It seems that at least one of the tank valves is leaking through even though I’m careful to make sure they are all closed as tightly as possible by pushing firmly on the controlling handles at the control station. Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions? TIA!
While not a fix for the leaky valve, you might consider adding one of these to avoid future potential "surprises" when you go to dump:

Twist-on Waste Valve

Having been on the receiving end of the black tank valve being pulled without my knowledge this avoids those little surprises. I no longer worry about what I might find when I remove the cap to hook up and dump.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
While not a fix for the leaky valve, you might consider adding one of these to avoid future potential "surprises" when you go to dump:

Twist-on Waste Valve
That's what I use to solve the problem with water in a grey tank pipe that doesn't always drain because it doesn't have enough down slope to the dump connection. Works like a charm and gives you a second shutoff valve as a backup.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your answers and suggestions. I have a path to follow.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
That's what I use to solve the problem with water in a grey tank pipe that doesn't always drain because it doesn't have enough down slope to the dump connection. Works like a charm and gives you a second shutoff valve as a backup.
I used basically the same thing but mine was a glue on one got from eTrailer. I got 2 dump ports, one up front with the sanicon attached to that one and that had a valve gate already on it. The rear dump port was just a cap on the end and sometimes I'd get a little dribblege from it so cut the cap fitting off flush and glued the valve gate on and that has a cap togo on the end also. Kinda double protection.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #10

We just picked up a 280rsok. We have it set up at home all hooked up and haven’t seen any issues yet. I’ve been running the water in everything and I have the drain cap off watching to see if the valves hold and haven’t seen any leakage at all.
Zuidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #11

A couple of days ago I replaced the straight sanicon connection on the trailer with a blade valve connector. The trailer had been sitting since returning from the above trip. When I removed the cap from the connection before cutting the old connector off the pipe, about a half-gallon of gray water poured out. With the new valve now glued in place it’s now a non-issue. I think this should be a standard item from the factory anyway as a redundant safety. Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #12

Did you install the kind that twist on or did you cut the pipe and glue on the valve?
Old 05-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #13

Cut and glue. This is my permanent solution but I still plan on trying to find a way to get the factory valve to seat without cutting into the belly pan.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #14

By the way, how does your F150 handle pulling and stopping your rig? Eco-boost or V8?
Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
By the way, how does your F150 handle pulling and stopping your rig? Eco-boost or V8?
Eco boost, I’ve only towed it 30 miles from dealer home. It has plenty of power, braking was good. It was 15 to 20 mph winds that day so felt that a little. Ive readjusted the hitch, and pumped trailer tires to max, they were 65 psi when I got it. That should help.
Zuidy is offline   Reply With Quote