Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #21

Truck bed

I use a tail gate pad for bike transport. The front wheel of each bike hangs over the tail gate. This works for now, but if we move to a fifth wheel will have to find another solution. I too thought about in the camper, but since my son and I ride mountain bike trails they aren’t always super clean when we get done so inside the camper was out of the question.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #22

My Nissan Frontier has the utilitrack, I added 2 fork mounts using a square nut on the back (the ones used for unistrut) and our bikes are secure. New camper has a bunk that flips up and door that is big enough to put bikes in there. Not sure how dirty the bikes will get but like them in the truck. Although prob not a bad idea to add some weight back there to even out gear weight under queen bed storage area.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #23

Our bike store where we have our bikes serviced told us that bike racks that have the bikes hanging on the back of the travel trailer are really bad for the bikes as they cause excessive shaking of the bikes which damages the gear system and chains. We now put our bikes in the back of the truck.
3Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #24

I built a pad on my 5th wheel hitch and attached a bike rack there. It takes some measuring but it can be done and the bikes don’t flop around like on the rear bumper. We have packed our bikes up there for the past 7 years without incident.
Dajw09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #25

Pickup bed

Family of 5 in halton pickup. Bikes solve well into the pickup bed. I have a tailgate saddle to place the bikes and hang their front tires over the tailgate.
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopylv View Post
I have a 2018 Hummingbird and had the same concern. I was told these bumpers are not meant to carry more than 100llbs, so I did some research and found a soultion that worked for us. They are called "Mount-n-Lock SafetyStruts Prevent RV Bumper Failure" They state it will increase the bumper strength to 400llbs. Easy to install and inexpensive. I put several thousand miles on our trailer with no issues. Here is the link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was ready to go with this design when a new neighbor moved in a few houses down the street. He hauls steel for a living and had a bunch of steel laying around his house that was the same diameter as a 2 or 2.5 inch hitch. He welded that underneath the TT and onto my frame. Then made a small triangular piece to slide into the bottle-neck hitch next to my Thule Bike rack to keep it from bouncing around. The Thule 4 bike rack probably weighs a good 50 lbs by itself then with the weight of our bikes on top of that I didn't want to take any chances using the bumper. When I talked to the service tech at our dealer he said that is "over-kill" compared to how they weld reinforcement for bike racks but I'm glad I went that route!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #27

Bike rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlb33 View Post
Ok, so I know that bike racks have been talk a lot on here. I have a question about the rear bumper. I noticed that on my 2019 28bhs JF the bumper seems to be a heavier gauge steel than the older models. Is this true, and would I be able to trust doing the 2" receiver bumper mount? (spare tire is mounted on there) If not, why are they selling those things. Inside the trailer also has where the bottom double bunk flips up. Do you store your bikes there? I've seen the above the propane racks, but I don't want to add any more tongue weight than I have. Almost leaning more to just storing them inside the TT. Thanks!!
I own a bike rack that sits and attaches on top of the spare tire. It was designed for Jeep owners.
LaPlace,LaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aussies View Post
Our bike store where we have our bikes serviced told us that bike racks that have the bikes hanging on the back of the travel trailer are really bad for the bikes as they cause excessive shaking of the bikes which damages the gear system and chains. We now put our bikes in the back of the truck.
My "bike store" is Wally World and any servicing is done in my barn with a few hand tools and a can of spray lub.

If you are a serious cyclist and have expensive teckie bikes then for sure you're not going to hang them on a hook but otherwise you will be fine with about any of the popular bumper or ladder racks. In my case the most important factor was ease of loading and unloading the bikes. When that got to be too much they were retired to a dry spot in the barn where the grandkids can use them.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote