Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
I saw postings about projects one can do with a cheap single board computer called Raspberry Pi. I got hooked! I had to do some learning but most projects are pretty well documented on YouTube. So far I have built a doorbell camera and two security cameras for the house. I am now working on the RV rear view camera, a camera to help be line up with the 5th wheel hitch and a dash camera. I will probably also build a couple security camera for use with the RV.

Maybe it would be something you would be interested in. Not much needed for tools and building is cheaper than purchasing these items.

You're toast! Welcome to the Raspberry Pi Black Hole. There are three in my RV, and about - ummm - six, no seven in the house. No eight. Eight in the house and three in the RV.

One more will be going in the RV this spring.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #82

You like fishing, fish year round . Steelhead fishing is good through winter months. Better sitting in an rv reading or listing to a radio. You can do that at night. Bundle up and enjoy what you want to do.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:16 AM   #83

Hey Cliff,

Ham Radio is very good hobby. If you haven't been involved in electronics then you get the benefit of reading and learning a new subject that will keep your mind sharper! No Morse code requirement anymore, but there are still plenty using it if you choose to take it on. It is not as difficult as most people think that it is. Just takes a consistent effort just like anything.

Combining RVing/camping with ham radio is a great pass time, something you can do with others (with COVID restrictions) or by yourself.

I have been licensed for 42+ years and have enjoyed every minute of it. Just goggle hamradio and I am sure you will find more information than you can digest in days and days... If you are interested and would like to ask a question, please feel free to reach out to me at jimatkc4hwdotcom and I will try to do the best that I can to help you out.

Jim/KC4HW

Jim Johnson
2018 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4X4
2016 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
oldmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
You like fishing, fish year round . Steelhead fishing is good through winter months. Better sitting in an rv reading or listing to a radio. You can do that at night. Bundle up and enjoy what you want to do.
That sounds good but the fishing I've found around here without a boat is not good enough to catch pneumonia for. My wife has medical concerns that we need to consider too. That's why I'm looking for indoor hobbies.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjim View Post
Hey Cliff,

Ham Radio is very good hobby. If you haven't been involved in electronics then you get the benefit of reading and learning a new subject that will keep your mind sharper! No Morse code requirement anymore, but there are still plenty using it if you choose to take it on. It is not as difficult as most people think that it is. Just takes a consistent effort just like anything.

Combining RVing/camping with ham radio is a great pass time, something you can do with others (with COVID restrictions) or by yourself.

I have been licensed for 42+ years and have enjoyed every minute of it. Just goggle hamradio and I am sure you will find more information than you can digest in days and days... If you are interested and would like to ask a question, please feel free to reach out to me at jimatkc4hwdotcom and I will try to do the best that I can to help you out.

Jim/KC4HW
I guess I just don't see the draw of it. Building the radio might be fun but what do you do after it's done? I never got a kick out of talking on a radio. I can't see myself doing it for long.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I've had Kindle for years. It is on my phone so I always have books with me but lately I can't find much that I care to read. I go by spells for reading. I might read 3-4 books then not read for a few months. I'm tired of playing word and card games all day.
Diana Galbon audio books are great if you haven't tried them.
Historical fiction starting with Outlander.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Diana Galbon audio books are great if you haven't tried them.

Historical fiction starting with Outlander.
I do some reading but I'm looking for something with a bit more movement. As for audio books, I'm not a fan at all. Just like tv it's only on for noise. I get distracted and miss most of it.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #88

Buy a good Metal detector A Garrett GTI 2500 Is i very nice one Good exercise lots of fun find free money/ jewelry and meet people or not your choice !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
Buy a good Metal detector A Garrett GTI 2500 Is i very nice one Good exercise lots of fun find free money/ jewelry and meet people or not your choice !
I already have 4, CZ-21, ATPro, Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Lone Star Pro (it was given to me). It's hard to use them indoors though.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #90

I make boomerangs. A$30 skill saw and $30 belt sander and the few hand tools needed plus sandpaper all fit in a medium tote bin. A 2x4’ sheet of plywood takes no space against the basement wall.
Small ‘rangs fly in tight spaces and a lot of RV parks have nearby fields.
Hundreds of plans and patterns on line then you learn to design you own.
Our financial advisor liked the idea when he learned that boomerangs offer a high rate of return.
-Angus
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
I make boomerangs. A$30 skill saw and $30 belt sander and the few hand tools needed plus sandpaper all fit in a medium tote bin. A 2x4’ sheet of plywood takes no space against the basement wall.

Small ‘rangs fly in tight spaces and a lot of RV parks have nearby fields.

Hundreds of plans and patterns on line then you learn to design you own.

Our financial advisor liked the idea when he learned that boomerangs offer a high rate of return.

-Angus
That sounds like a fun project but not one that can be done indoors. We fight dust in the RV already.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #92

This thread has become your hobby I think
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
This thread has become your hobby I think
That's my problem, all I am doing now is FB and forums. I'm real tired of both.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #94

Quote:
That sounds like a fun project but not one that can be done indoors. We fight dust in the RV already.

Right, it's a picnic table hobby for the most part, but during poor weather I can work on design, research and cutting cardboard patterns.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #95

Scrapbook

Quote:
We have been full time in our RV for several years now but rarely get to actually travel due to health issues. I love to fish and use my metal detector but with the current weather that has been minimal. What hobbies do you enjoy that can be done indoors? I've tried a few through the years but so far nothing has stuck. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Start scrapbooking. Document everything. Keep flat items from your journey of life that will stay well in an album, eg. receipts, game tickets, medals won etc.
Another option is to design cool stuff on a pc and then make it!!! Learn SketchUp to draw things in 3D and you’re off to becoming a great maker.
Cheers
dustyww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #96

SketchUp is a great idea, just to make imagination tangible. I took a look at it, and decided I needed more "dedicate-able" time to learn it. I'm an amateur woodworker, so for now, I am following other people's plans.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #97

Quote:
We are looking for a house but not having any luck. For medical reasons we can't get to far from where we are for a while anyway. I would love to get back to a more normal life style.

We done most of the things on your list and a few others but those require outdoor time and this weather isn't cooperating.
MOVE south that is what we are going to do SC here we come! or Northern GA or TN or ....

part of what I am hearing is you are down about your current medical condition and what can you do/not do... Free advice, start thinking about what you will be able to do once you get through your current troubles. I would try and think positive about what you will be able to do and what you can do now... can you do something now that will help you get to where you want to go? No matter how bad it is someone is in worse shape and someone is in better shape. Stay positive and make a list of things you're passionate about... or think you would be.
My dad had allot of issues but he always was positive and as much as possible found things that interested him he could still do... Allot of his enjoyment towards the end was watching his children and his grandchildren do things he could no longer do... he lived through us if you will...

Stay positive...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #98

Quote:
I did that for several years. I haven't found a good sim in years now. They disappeared when tablets came out and computers were put away. I had some very realistic ones. What sims are you flying and on what device?
DCS has some pretty crazy virtual reality flight sims.

Become a fighter pilot as a retirement job.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyww View Post
Start scrapbooking. Document everything. Keep flat items from your journey of life that will stay well in an album, eg. receipts, game tickets, medals won etc.
Another option is to design cool stuff on a pc and then make it!!! Learn SketchUp to draw things in 3D and you’re off to becoming a great maker.
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
SketchUp is a great idea, just to make imagination tangible. I took a look at it, and decided I needed more "dedicate-able" time to learn it. I'm an amateur woodworker, so for now, I am following other people's plans.
Again, those are more up my wife's alley than mine. I'm not into artistic crafts.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
MOVE south that is what we are going to do SC here we come! or Northern GA or TN or ....

part of what I am hearing is you are down about your current medical condition and what can you do/not do... Free advice, start thinking about what you will be able to do once you get through your current troubles. I would try and think positive about what you will be able to do and what you can do now... can you do something now that will help you get to where you want to go? No matter how bad it is someone is in worse shape and someone is in better shape. Stay positive and make a list of things you're passionate about... or think you would be.
My dad had allot of issues but he always was positive and as much as possible found things that interested him he could still do... Allot of his enjoyment towards the end was watching his children and his grandchildren do things he could no longer do... he lived through us if you will...

Stay positive...
We already live in the Houston, Tx area so I'm not sure I want to go farther south. Lol

I'm not sure what you read but I'm not down about my medical condition. All of my doctors are very happy with my health as am I. In fact, I'm in better shape than I was 10 years ago. I can outperform a lot of younger people I know. My wife has some limitations that make some outdoor activities a bit more difficult but that was not the reason for this post. She has plenty of indoor activities but I don't. That's why I'm looking for something new to try indoors.

Jayflight 34RSBS