Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #51

We have two reds in the ref now. I now know why there called reds... Yes RED fat fish filets. Some are totally silver outside and a few are showing a little red on the bellies. 19 more miles from here for them to swim. Whole camp having pot luck dinner sat evening. Around 100 here im guessing. Going to be fun.
Tires are still ok but I'm putting new ones on in Anchorage at Johnson tire Monday. They have about 8-9000 miles and couple showing it. Road rocks are small. Less than dime size so no problem.
Tailgater only works when you have clear elevated view to south. The dishes actually point down looking for the satellites. The house dishes are twice as big as back home. Haven't missed TV one bit.
Spawn really starting to hit.
These fish don't bite.. You actually snag them. They don't eat after leaving salt water. They see/feel the line and it's a annoyance to them .. In the way, so they pick up the line to get it out of the way and the line slides thru their mouth and they get snagged.
Color lure don't matter... Law says has to look like fly for some reason. Guys gave me some homemade jigs with 4 strands 1/2 inch long string.. Makes it legal. Throw it out about 5-10 ft pull it in slowly and snag them. Repeat. That's it.
Cooked some for supper...wow. Totally different taste ... 10 times better than store bought. Less than 1 hour from water to pan or grill.
Going 4 wheeling tomorrow with a bunch that showed up here. 44 mile round trip thru native tribe land to Klutina lake. Have to donate $5 in a box beside trail.

Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #52

We went trail riding yesterday, 60 mile round trip. Across glaciers. Awesome. Last day here on the Kultina River.
Forgot to mention the other day but the road was so rough from Tok to here that when we opened the closet all our hanging cloths were in the floor.
More fishing today then Anchorage tomorrow.
Due in Denli Nat Park on Wednesday.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #53

Welcome

Welcome, I hope you are enjoying Alaska. You probably already said it, but what are all the locations you are planning on hitting while here?
(I live in Eagle River, AK, BTW)
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Welcome, I hope you are enjoying Alaska. You probably already said it, but what are all the locations you are planning on hitting while here?
(I live in Eagle River, AK, BTW)
We are headed to Eagle River state park tomorrow for a couple nights. Need to take trailer in for new tires. Any recommendations??
Then we have reservations at Deneli starting Wednesday for 6 nights total.
Doing over night train trip to Anchorage , bus tour etc., ATV tours , then back to Eagle River on the 16th for another train trip to Seward and back, then Looking for places to explore on ATV.
Back to Copper Center on the 21st for a few days then head home around the 24th.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #55

Recommendations for Tires. There is a Alaska Tire right in Eagle River 907-622-6288 who do great work and have good prices. Also, there is American Tire 907-336-7878 on Old Seward in Anchorage who will price match and are good to go as well. Johnson Tire has decent prices but in my opinion they take to many short cuts. I have dealt with all three and I have not been impressed with Johnson.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #56

A nice place to camp and explore on ATV is Eklutna Lake, going back to the Eklutna Glacier. It is a very easy ride with a 3 mile hike at the end of the road to the glacier (you would have to cross the river and get wet though), along the way is serenity falls. Eklutna has restrictions on ATV riding though (Sunday through Wednesdays only, No ATV riding Thursday Friday or Saturdays) I do not know the skill level of ATV driving you are looking for. If you are very skilled and willing to look around and cross a few streams, ask locals around for direction to the Jim Creek recreation area and pick up the trail to Knik glacier. If you go on weekends there should be plenty of people to show the way or follow. Otherwise, on the way back towards Copper River Center, you pass by Eureka Lodge. Just past that is a large parking area and lots of ATV trails and fun to be had there.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Recommendations for Tires. There is a Alaska Tire right in Eagle River 907-622-6288 who do great work and have good prices. Also, there is American Tire 907-336-7878 on Old Seward in Anchorage who will price match and are good to go as well. Johnson Tire has decent prices but in my opinion they take to many short cuts. I have dealt with all three and I have not been impressed with Johnson.
Thanks, I'll call asap in the Am.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #58

Quote:
A nice place to camp and explore on ATV is Eklutna Lake, going back to the Eklutna Glacier. It is a very easy ride with a 3 mile hike at the end of the road to the glacier (you would have to cross the river and get wet though), along the way is serenity falls. Eklutna has restrictions on ATV riding though (Sunday through Wednesdays only, No ATV riding Thursday Friday or Saturdays) I do not know the skill level of ATV driving you are looking for. If you are very skilled and willing to look around and cross a few streams, ask locals around for direction to the Jim Creek recreation area and pick up the trail to Knik glacier. If you go on weekends there should be plenty of people to show the way or follow. Otherwise, on the way back towards Copper River Center, you pass by Eureka Lodge. Just past that is a large parking area and lots of ATV trails and fun to be had there.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #59

We got rid of our travel trailer and purchased the Greyhawk to go to Alaska. We thought it would be easier setting up frequently during the trip to have a motorhome. So far, that has proven to be true. We had to postpone our Alaska trip til next year but I can't wait. We plan to go up through Seattle and back through Banff. We have family in Soldotna so will probably base camp there. Thanks for the info on the Fairmont Hot Spring Resort. Would love to hear more of your adventure.
AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #60

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but it used to be against the law to keep salmon that you "snag". I have fished there before (on the Funny River) and a warden came around looking at all our fish to ensure they were not snagged. Just sayin...

AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote