Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

Eating At The Trailer

We always went out for dinner when traveling. Now do to Covid we eat in the trailer. We have been having a better time now. Thanks to COVID.
BBQ has made it easy and good. Charcoal is something we forgot about. Much better flavor. Now we need to find some more things to BBQ!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Team

We enjoy a mix of both depending on where we are and the circumstances. The good thing about adulting is we can do anything to keep out of a rut.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #3

We like to do both. When we do shorter trips, we tend to stay lazy and get carryout or make deli sandwiches or something. On longer trips it's worthwhile to bring along the grill or the Blackstone and prepare lots of our own meals. We've been known to bring a crockpot and cook a pot roast or pork loin. We've cooked chickens on a spit over a fire. My father-in-law will bring a smoker when we do a 4th of July trip. Hot dogs, hamburgers, marinated chicken, etc are always easy staples of camping too.

There is nothing like a good hot meal, enjoyed in the fresh air, with friends!

Hey norty, can you do something about the weather down there please? We're supposed to hit Savannah next Friday through Sunday on our way to Florida and its looking to be in the 40s and rainy. We looked at Charleston, St Augustine and Tallahasse... all chilly and rainy next weekend. We're not sure what we're gonna do. Might have to just deadhead it 900 miles to Tampa, which won't be fun with 3 small kids!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #4

You can BBQ anything and at the rate this country is going you'll end up having to BBQ the neighbors cat because the stores will be empty shelves again. Lol!

We normally eat meals at our sites, however our local state park has this BBQ place across the highway we ride our bikes to. We get a meal there and take it back, so we can count that as eating out.

Im a sucker for BBQ! Love it!

Last week I was working up in the air on some utility lines. The wind would blow just the right way toward me and I got a whiff of someone smoking some BBQ. My senses led my keen eyes to a smoker about 2 houses away. I saw the guy come out with his winter coat on in the snow to tend to his meat. I hollered over to him saying it was a good thing he came out because I was about to turn into a fox raiding a hen house it smelled so good!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post

Hey norty, can you do something about the weather down there please? We're supposed to hit Savannah next Friday through Sunday on our way to Florida and its looking to be in the 40s and rainy. We looked at Charleston, St Augustine and Tallahasse... all chilly and rainy next weekend. We're not sure what we're gonna do. Might have to just deadhead it 900 miles to Tampa, which won't be fun with 3 small kids!!!
I would suck it up and try at least to get past Jacksonville and find something for an overnight. You will be fresh when you arrive in Tampa. We are usually in Central Fl. [Silver River SP or Crystal River area in Feb] and the weather is always changing but at least it's in the 60's or warmer. Maybe next year! sigh
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Team

My absolute favorite meal when we are camping is breakfast. I'm always doing some combination of eggs, fried ham or spam, fried onions and peppers. We normally cook on the outside kitchen and then sit under the awning sipping coffee until mid morning when the kids finally decide to crawl out of bed. It is truly the best part of our camping day.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #7

Rain off and on. Today first time in a week it hit 70.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:47 PM   #8

If we are on a 7 day campout we may go out once for supper. The rest of the time I cook at the trailer. Almost everything I cook I make at the house. Except my 6 hour ribs on my big grill.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:14 PM   #9

On our last few trips during Covid we ate at the trailer, or in a few instances, in the Van when we were out sightseeing. At that point there was no outdoor dining where we were comfortable with the distance. We have a grill that I use on somedays and the change is good. We also have an Outdoor kitchen that comes in handy on nice days.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:57 PM   #10

DW loves to eat out. Me, I hate eating out! Pre-covid travel a fair amount for work, I would get home from a longer trip and the last thing I wanted was restaurant food. Sad part is I have 2 BILs that are chiefs. We can eat at their restaurants almost anytime we want for free, and we may only go 1 or 2 times a year.

When camping I tend to do most of the cooking. Unless the weather is beyond horrid I cook every meal outside, never under the awning. Breakfast and dinners tend to be bigger meals, but always simple. Lunch, usually is more of a trail lunch style.

Smoked Chicken Taco's are super easy and one of my favorites. Dry rub with taco seasoning of choice, brown sugar and salt. Get the grill going, with lots of wood chips, place the chicken on when there is a lot of smoke. I tend to do a slightly lower heat than a traditional grilling of chicken, but not a long slow cook (chicken tends to get to dry). Cook until done, remove and shred. Make your taco the way you like it! Lots of good flavor!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #11

Everything tastes better when camping!

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #12

Lol, the closest I've ever come to eating out when camping is ordering a pizza, picking it up and eating it at the campsite. When camping I like to enjoy the whole camping experience and for me, sitting in a restaurant when camping has no appeal as I can do that anytime.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #13

I have to purchase a better grill I purchased a grill for us to use for three months an throw away.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #14

This has us spoiled. We eat dinner with the bay Devine us. What a view.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #15

We grill a lot with our table-top 18" Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill. In fact in addition to the usual smoked or seared meats, we have become pretty good at making homemade pizza. I can get that grill up to a sustained 500 F or better and with pizza stone, the results are spectacular.

When we go to Colorado and the Southwest, we encountered burn-bans where charcoal was not allowed but gas was OK. So I did some looking around and found this to convert my Weber grill to propane...

https://gassmoker.com/wp-content/cache/all/index.html

The cost of conversion, with the gas burner kit and the tools needed to drill the holes in the grill came to about $120. With that, I could have bought a whole new gas grill, but now, in the same storage space in the basement, I have a unit that can covert back and forth in 5 minutes to charcoal or gas. For gas, it just connects directly to one of our 40 lb. tanks.

For temperature monitoring and control, I use this...
https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke
and...
https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermape...tity=1&color=7

They're expensive but I have spent much more over the years on $30-40 units from brand names such as Char-Broil or Oregon Scientific, only to have them fail within 6 months. Thermoworks makes instruments that are used in pro food kitchens, restaurants, food labs and government agencies around the world. Their customer service is spectacular and they are very generous with their warranty policies.

When our HighPoint Micro Convection Oven failed, we found a huge (1.9 cubic ft) 1100W KitchenAid Micro/Convection with auto-sensing cook features and it works great and has a vent hood that vents to the outside.

Bon apetite!

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #16

We do most of our camping in a rural area so there are not a lot of options for eating out. But among those options two or three are pretty good. Since we're usually arriving at the campground in the late afternoon or early evening, we often pick up something on the way to eat after we get to our site. Usually that's a pizza from locally-owned place or a slab of ribs from a little BBQ joint.

Otherwise, we eat all of our meals at the campsite. I have a O-Grill table-top propane grill that we use for evening meals. DW loves to cook so we always get a hearty breakfast and lunch is usually leftovers from the night before. She also has a table-top oven in the TT that she likes to use to make pies and other assorted goodies. Mmmm good.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
My absolute favorite meal when we are camping is breakfast. I'm always doing some combination of eggs, fried ham or spam, fried onions and peppers. We normally cook on the outside kitchen and then sit under the awning sipping coffee until mid morning when the kids finally decide to crawl out of bed. It is truly the best part of our camping day.
I couldn't agree more - Add a good morning cigar with that sipping coffee thing and you've got my exact routine!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #18

Our campsite is heavy in White pines. They are a very brittle wood, thus put a little snow on the limbs and they come down very easy. Every Spring we reclaim a couple cords of wood. The best thing is that they are small enough to be used as cooking wood without needing to be split.

When we camp, our dinners are usually steaks, ham, pork chops, etc. Naturally in the Winter we go to a local awesome restaurant, but in the Summer nothing beats food cooked on a wood fire.

With bacon and pastries for breakfast, and beer and chips for lunch, nothing beats camping food.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #19
CAG

We generally are up and hiking early. Lunch can consist of fish we caught or a sandwich and sides. Dinner is in. Bar-B-Q or similar. We do go out to various restaurants. There is an excellent Mexican food place we go to and a few others but eating out adds pounds and we try to keep those off. Many time we have food that has been previously prepared and can be warmed. It is very difficult to control your fat/calorie intake when eating out so we limit that to the really good places but not every night, or even every other night.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #20

Everyone is a pro I am not.tonight I made pork chops. Was not sure when they are doe. I was lucky perfect. This is now my rv hobby. I read the reply’s and have gotten so much good information. Went and got ore charcoal and fire starters. Now we are looking at grills. We just decided to stay at fort wilderness for next winter. So we will be upgrading our BBQ.