Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #21

I just love those Left Lane Larry's & Lisa's in my neck of the woods.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #22

Keep right except to pass. Slower vehicles keep right. Keep right pass left. Must be the most under enforced traffic law. It should be at the top of the list of enforcement and penalties.

I tow an equipment trailer just about every day. Sometimes other motorists force me to hog the wrong lane. Here in NJ, the inconsideration of other drivers amazes me. Every person is more important than their neighbor.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I do the same thing. It doesn't make sense to drive in an ending lane or exit only lane when you know you will be continuing through the area. That causes too many lane changes. But out of the populated areas, I stay to the right.
X4 As a matter of practice, as commercial truck drivers (especially through vehicles) approach or enter metropolitan areas with multiple freeway lanes, they routinely move to a lane left of the far right for all the reasons cited earlier.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #24

People drive like that here in Washington. Try getting from Everett to Tacoma in a motorhome or towing.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
Ask me what its like being in a Firetruck or a Ambulance trying to go save someone's life
I hear you!!
Old 08-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #26

I think the ability of people to drive is related to how hard it is to get a drivers license. When I took my California driving test is was so easy it was scary, I don't know how people can actually fail. When I took my UK driving test it was many times harder where I had to demonstrate complete control of the car in a stick shift. I did my UK test just before it became harder.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
People drive like that here in Washington. Try getting from Everett to Tacoma in a motorhome or towing.
Yeah people drive like that everywhere. When I lived in Seattle in the mid 90's the I-5, I-405 corridors were a mess back then, I can't imagine how bad it's gotten by now. The good drivers are the ones who can anticipate what's in front of them.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
On roads with the exits/entrances miles apart and moderate traffic I agree. However with heavy traffic and exits/entrances every mile or so (think I-95 in CT), I find it safer to travel in the middle lane and not have to constantly brake and swerve around entering vehicles who apparently don't know the meaning of a yield sign.
I have to agree with this. Getting forced to brake the rig because multiple drivers fail on merging on 60-70mph highway and try to merge on at 30mph...UGH! I run middle lane and save my brakes and lower our dw and my blood pressure. I have no want to collide with anyone.
Path of least resistance is middle lane in metro area

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Yeah people drive like that everywhere. When I lived in Seattle in the mid 90's the I-5, I-405 corridors were a mess back then, I can't imagine how bad it's gotten by now. The good drivers are the ones who can anticipate what's in front of them.
Try getting through there in either direction in ANYTHING...... there is a reason when we head out with the camper 99.99% of the time we head due east as that is the quickest way out of this god-forsaken mess for us. I am always aware of what's piling up behind me when on the two-lane highways and make every effort to use the turn-outs provided. On the interstates it's always the right lane except in areas of high merging volume or like the Salt Lake City area where the right lane becomes an exit-only lane every mile or two. I also flash my lights for truckers that have passed me and in general try not to be an irritation to those I share the road with. It is unfortunate that simple and common courtesies have gone the way of the dodo though as the DW will attest to, there is a lot of cussin' in the truck at times....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #30

A couple of years ago we were heading to a campground in Nova Scotia. The bridge near Amherst was being worked on. There were plenty of signs stating construction and left lane ends which was full of pylons slowly closing out the lane. As I approached the road were it became one lane I looked in my mirror and saw a car coming and knew he was wanting to pass regardless of construction signage. As the end of the left lane fast approached I was forced to brake so this self righteous a**hole could go by.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
This implies to truck drivers too. They all like to hang in the center lane. Amazing how many I am passing while traveling in the far right lane.
it is because the trucks already destroyed the right lane and now their working on the center lane, and the states do not use the tax money to repair the roads, they vote themselves pay raises instead
Old 08-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #32

If it's a single lane road in each direction and I'm doing the speed limit you're going to have to wait to get an open stretch of road where you can pass. I will not pull off onto a shoulder because you have no idea what road debris has accumulated that's going to damage a tire. If it's two lanes in each direction I always drive in the right lane doing the speed limit and leave the left lane open for passing. If three lanes I use the middle lane doing the speed limit which always folks getting onto the road to enter the road without me or them having to judge speed/distance to avoid one another and leaving the left lane for those that want to pass.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Sadly, "everything" courtesy is becoming a thing of the past. Newer generations have become the entitled, self-absorbed, narcissist, selfie population, and really don't care about others and what's going on around them. It's all about THEM.

Take a look around at the workplace, retail stores, families, group gatherings, etc. This is the new "normal".... get use to it....
Sad but true. But it's not just the younger generations. It's an infectious attitude that's affecting everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yearsbehind View Post
Keep right except to pass. Slower vehicles keep right. Keep right pass left. Must be the most under enforced traffic law. It should be at the top of the list of enforcement and penalties.
Trouble is that's not the law in every state. In WI these are actually just suggestions. It's not uncommon here for cars, and trucks to sit in the left lane doing under the speed limit.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #34

Middle Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
If it's a single lane road in each direction and I'm doing the speed limit you're going to have to wait to get an open stretch of road where you can pass. I will not pull off onto a shoulder because you have no idea what road debris has accumulated that's going to damage a tire. If it's two lanes in each direction I always drive in the right lane doing the speed limit and leave the left lane open for passing. If three lanes I use the middle lane doing the speed limit which always folks getting onto the road to enter the road without me or them having to judge speed/distance to avoid one another and leaving the left lane for those that want to pass.
X2 for me as well. I don’t understand why driving in the center lane of a 3 lane highway is a problem, especially if you are driving the speed limit. As already stated, many people enter the interstate at 40-50MPH and to me that is more of a hazard.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
X2 for me as well. I don’t understand why driving in the center lane of a 3 lane highway is a problem, especially if you are driving the speed limit. As already stated, many people enter the interstate at 40-50MPH and to me that is more of a hazard.
Great minds think alike .

If it's three lanes and you're in the middle lane doing the speed limit it's the safest mode of travel in my opinion. You being the one towing the trailer minimize your need to switch lanes, speed up or slow down for traffic coming onto the highway or to pass slower traffic in the right lane. Those wanting to pass you (exceeding the speed limit) have the left lane to pass.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Quote:
Great minds think alike .

If it's three lanes and you're in the middle lane doing the speed limit it's the safest mode of travel in my opinion. You being the one towing the trailer minimize your need to switch lanes, speed up or slow down for traffic coming onto the highway or to pass slower traffic in the right lane. Those wanting to pass you (exceeding the speed limit) have the left lane to pass.
I guess I'll pile into the "great minds" category then!

This is exactly how I drive.

And further, I've learned NOT to expect ANY courtesy from ANYONE on the road. It saves my blood pressure, and allows me to stay completely prepared because I EXPECT every other driver to have a critical ID-10-T error at all times. This way I'm rarely disappointed, but sometimes pleasantly surprised when someone actually does something polite or responsible. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when I flash my lights at a tractor/trailer to tell them it's clear to move over in front of me, and I get a "hat tip".

How sad is that?!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #37

I'm convinced that the main reason that courtesy doesn't exist on the roads is because many people it's easier to see it as a CAR or TRUCK or SEMI that they're cutting off or zooming around instead of an actual PERSON inside of that car, truck, or semi.

Think about it, "I'm going to cut off these cars" sounds a lot better than "I'm going to cut off these people."

It's a trick we allow our minds to play on ourselves to put our needs in front of others on the roads.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
I'm convinced that the main reason that courtesy doesn't exist on the roads is because many people it's easier to see it as a CAR or TRUCK or SEMI that they're cutting off or zooming around instead of an actual PERSON inside of that car, truck, or semi.

Think about it, "I'm going to cut off these cars" sounds a lot better than "I'm going to cut off these people."

It's a trick we allow our minds to play on ourselves to put our needs in front of others on the roads.
Interesting point.

I'm sure glad I don't think that way!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
This could possibly be true...

That's why I've been searching around (without luck) for a Bull Bar to install on the front on my rig. Cut me off, and you get the "horns"!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #40

Yesterday traveling past Dallas on I635 a RAM 3500 DRW cut me off big time. The idiot just happened to have a fifth wheel hitch sitting in his bed, either it was for decoration or he just didn't care. I think I'm going to invest in an air horn!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote