Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
4 bolts. Replace the gasket when its off. Some have the bracket and some dont and are just screwed into the roof structure. I would recommend having a dealer check them, if youre unfamiliar. Will save you alot more if you dont put it back perfectly and it leaks. You can also do the modification and add the chill grille to it if you do end up taking it off. If I kept my Jayco I was going to have the dealer add it to the two ducted ones. Most of the intake tracks are somewhat crushed and narrowed so helps get more air into it and pumps out more cold air. Personally, they should just have the old non ducted setups again. You can run multipes anyway on 50a power so just let them dump tje cold air in the room you want it in. Thebonly room I can see being a little cold air starved is the bathroom but I keep that vent closed anyway!
Very good description on how it’s done and the most important part was “let the experts do it if you are not 100% sure”. One small mess up and you can expect to pay many thousands on repairs.
easevado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:51 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by easevado View Post
You have to unbolt the AC unit on the roof tilt it over and look at it from on top of the camper
Not with the MACH-8. You remove the shroud and then remove the cover from the blower it can be accessed if needed. The WHISPER QUIET baffle may even be built into the roof assembly, unlike the standard duct system

I would contact JAYCO and ask for a copy of how the ducting is designed. Since you may be looking for a possible problem that doesn't exist.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #83

Heat duct

Mine were torn from the factory. Just say’n
Als1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #84

There is a new product out that is suppose to improve efficiency up to 45% of your AC. Checked into it but at $170 per AC I decided I could do that myself.....here is what I came up with and saw HUGE improvements.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-81502.html

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #85

That's a pretty good mod you got.
Gale Banks did a YouTube series on rear diff covers and how even the stock one is a better design than the aftermarket flatback higher fluid capacity ones are. Then he designed and patent one. Pretty interesting. Fluid flow and air flow are the same in a lot of ways.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
That's a pretty good mod you got.
Gale Banks did a YouTube series on rear diff covers and how even the stock one is a better design than the aftermarket flatback higher fluid capacity ones are. Then he designed and patent one. Pretty interesting. Fluid flow and air flow are the same in a lot of ways.
That was a pretty good series.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #87

That is what I was hoping to find out! 2017 27.5 RL Eagle HT Fifth Wheel
installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #88

Blocked Duct Work?

New RedHawk 26M and have been struggling with A/C keeping up when temps reach above 90. I watched the video and yes, the foam divider needs to be taped in as shown however, I seem to have blocked ductwork from the AC unit. See pictures attached…..is this normal? I cannot divert air flow from AC to the ducts in the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
1BB4332C-E8ED-4591-8573-1B6AC41F4149.jpg   12B90F4E-FED6-4146-A8FB-A7B4DE68BD53.jpg   F0A3C533-A267-4431-876E-9F465BC2A375.jpg  
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #89

Were the ducts blocked like that, or did you tape them closed?

Go to rvairflow.com and find the one that works for your AC....it eliminates the foam devider and will greatly increase your air flow. Saved me from buying a second AC.

Lots of YouTube videos. Most AC installations from the factory need to be redone because the people who install them don't care about quality or pride in their work.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #90

No the taped area was that way from the factory. The open areas (left and right of the tape) are blocked by white foam insulation. Just not sure which way the air is supposed to flow out of the AC if you divert to ceiling ducts. I also have question into Jayco support line as well.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #91
Site Team

The ducting will usually be in a straight line from the ac to the ceiling vents.

You could remove the closest vent and poke a fish tape back towards the ac and see which blocked opening it comes into the output of the ac.

If they are blocked that seems like a classic fail on someone's part.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #92

I'm not familiar with what is supposed to be in a Redhawk, but it sure looks like they never cut the duct work openings. If you have ceiling ducts, they normally, just cut the opening in the duct work to match the steel opening in the AC frame. On my 2018 29MV, they cut one opening properly, but the driver side opening was only partially cut and they left the foam in place. So, the entire driver side run of vents were blocked.

watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #93

It's hard to see but this is what mine looks like
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ons-88663.html

There should be a hard foam baffle between the two openings. Hot air goes up one, cold air come down the other. The baffle separates the two. On the cold side, if you have ducting, it should be cut out in the foam.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:25 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
It's hard to see but this is what mine looks like
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ons-88663.html

There should be a hard foam baffle between the two openings. Hot air goes up one, cold air come down the other. The baffle separates the two. On the cold side, if you have ducting, it should be cut out in the foam.
This is the most helpful post yet. Your pictures show there are vents off each side of the AC on the cold air side going into the ceiling ducts. THAT’s what I am missing. I am going to take a punch saw and see if i can remove the lower portion of the foam to reach the ceiling ducts. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #95

You figure out if the foam wasn't cut out right? I might cut a small circle and put a hair dryer or something else in that hole and see if you can feel the air coming out of the ducts.

If it is, then grab cardboard, foil duct tape and clean it all up nice to so runs well.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #96

side thought.. you have to wonder if the rest of the ducts are setup right if it wasn't cut out there.. perhaps its not even supposed to be cut and there's a prefab shaft that's supposed to be there..
Old 07-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #97

A/C Connected to Ductwork Now

A quick update. Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions. Bought a borescope and explored the ductwork. It was never cut out. Then noticed the two different layers of foam from the A/C air exits. Cut through the bottom layer and it tapped right into the ductwork. We taped it up and now have full A/C through all ducts. Such a simple solution and of course the wife is mad at the lack of quality control. I just said it makes us part of the club. LOL. posted pictures from before and after I cut the foam. Forgot to take a final picture with all the HVAC tape in place. But you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
0380CB25-154F-499F-BB0B-4A771E22AD3E.jpg   E3A48FD4-02F8-4EF9-B303-6883244055E9.jpg  
Old 03-21-2023, 03:38 PM   #98

did the trick

This is what i did to mine. What a big difference, better airflow, way quieter. Saved money by not having to buy a Wacko/air silencer.

TANDREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:45 PM   #99

Installed RV Air systems on both A/C's on '23 Seismic 359 today. The hardest part is lining up the long mounting bolts through the inside frame, the foam Air piece and into the roof mount bracket. Didn't test it because its 40 degrees, and I have only had the A/C on during PDI inspection. I wanted to upgrade and make sure we have the best chance at cooling the garage with the two units when it's hot because my boss uses it for her office after I take the smoker out, First trip is April 19-22 to Southaven, MS, so we will see how they work then. Got the idea from this forum, but not skilled enough to make my own like others, so I ordered them. I appreciate the suggestion and info.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 09:18 PM   #100

Another success story

Our 2021 White Hawk, Furrion A/C roof unit (tall box, ain't it?), had install issues blocking airflow.
Similar to the video on page one of this post, the divider is actually thick vinyl pads separating return from blower air, I installed foil tape to seal up the two from each other.

Also following the video, I opened up both duct entrances by cutting the ceiling "shelf paper" headliner from the openings, some cut material being 3"x3" in size. Tape defined the openings in a square shape.

Now, the bedroom is much improved. The living area is improved, but there is a collapse in the ductwork from the center outlet vent toward the bathroom, most obviously the collapse happened during manufacture. This issue will be repaired by the Jayco Dealer.
Great thread, and Thank-you.
Lazierfan is offline   Reply With Quote